Help me to choose a used DAP.
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #46 of 81
No, that's 1st

Of course I will be the first to agree with you that the 1Z and 1A sound different. But if you update the 1A to DMP-Z1MK2 you will note how it sounds. The authority and dynamics of the 1Z is now in the 1A.

But yes, they are different in the end. I guess the amount would be a subjective judgment. Though the 1A may be even better than the 1Z now for some. We have always wanted the 1A to be close to the 1Z, now it is. IMO

Cheers!

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #47 of 81
Added some other DAPs in the list. Also, I figured that I remove QP1R and Opus#1 from my list in my 1st post :

---New in the list, within budget---

Ibasso DX200 (+ Amp8)
1. Streaming available.
2. Wifi & BT available.
3. Battery replaceable.
4. Sound quality neutral with wide soundstage.
5. USB DAC function available
6. Build quality seems excellent but not sure if pocketable. Also needs to find a balanced 4.4mm cable.

---New in the list, above budget---

AK320
1. Streaming for limited app.
2. Wifi & BT available.
3. Battery replaceable.
4. Sound quality better than AK240??
5. USB DAC function available
NO, 380 is better than 240...

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #48 of 81
more pocketable? check out a reliable review of the DX120 courtesy @audio123 .
You could always leave a reply in the comments box.
Re: comparison 320 to 1a, The sony's neutral whilst the 320 has a hint of warmth, rich tone to it, but not so much, just enough...

Some reviews said that 1a is organic sounding. How is it true if compared to 320? And for yourself personally you prefer 1a or 320?

NO, 380 is better than 240...

Meaning to say that 320 is lower in SQ compared to 240 & 1a?

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #49 of 81
Some reviews said that 1a is organic sounding. How is it true if compared to 320? And for yourself personally you prefer 1a or 320?

Meaning to say that 320 is lower in SQ compared to 240 & 1a?
Here are my preferred sonic parameters, therefore my bias : Neutral, clear, soundstage. Then we can line them up.
240(extended treble response)>1a(neutral)>320(neutral warm, slightly rolled off treble, smallest stage)
In a single time playing all of the above, i used my W50 monitors w/ custom tips & pure silver cables...

Between 1a & the 320, that's a tough question.
Using the same monitors, 1a for analytical & neutral, 320 for musicality...

Your choice of in ears play a big part of the music chain. It is the front end after all...

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #50 of 81
Here are my preferred sonic parameters, therefore my bias : Neutral, clear, soundstage. Then we can line them up.
240(extended treble response)>1a(neutral)>320(neutral warm, slightly rolled off treble, smallest stage)
In a single time playing all of the above, i used my W50 monitors w/ custom tips & pure silver cables...

Between 1a & the 320, that's a tough question.
Using the same monitors, 1a for analytical & neutral, 320 for musicality...

Your choice of in ears play a big part of the music chain. It is the front end after all...

As you have recommend me the dx160 over ak240, how would you rank dx160 with wm1a and ak320? Are they great for their time (past tense) but not for today?

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #51 of 81
As you have recommend me the dx160 over ak240, how would you rank dx160 with wm1a and ak320? Are they great for their time (past tense) but not for today?
By virtue of SQ, sound field, Value for money, after sales reliability (in this exact order)
DX160 (*****)>wm1a(****)>ak320(***)

wm1a and ak320? Are they great for their time (past tense) but not for today?
Short answer, yes.
Back In 2015, i auditioned the zx2. It wowed me with that unforgettable holo imaging & tuning. Was using my W10 monitor
The demo device was playing this, Lose yourself to dance.
1603272003207.png

FF to winter 2019, pre-cvd, i re-auditioned the same. I can't believe i got wowed by them back then
considering how small they are now...

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #52 of 81
I guess the next step would be for me to decide and take the plunge. There's no point going back & forth when ultimately it falls into what is good to my ears (and pocket).

Having said that, I believe the WM1A/Z being still in the market as flagship will means that support from Sony in a form of hardware and firmware will still exist for quite some time while I don't think the same could be said for AK320 as it does not exist anymore in the market except on the used market. As for the DX160, with most of the built being glass kind of makes me worried about its vulnerability but in short I still couldn't gauge if its build quality will cope up with my abuse for the coming years (or a decade). And I also prefer buttons over volume wheel.

With that, I'm more inclined towards the WM1A for now and seems like I could get one from Vietnam, except that I don't live there and the seller seems reluctant to ship it outside. Only thing I could think of now is to get someone there to pick it up from him and courier it to me, but I still couldn't find anyone from there.

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #53 of 81
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #54 of 81
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #55 of 81
I guess the next step would be for me to decide and take the plunge. There's no point going back & forth when ultimately it falls into what is good to my ears (and pocket).

Having said that, I believe the WM1A/Z being still in the market as flagship will means that support from Sony in a form of hardware and firmware will still exist for quite some time while I don't think the same could be said for AK320 as it does not exist anymore in the market except on the used market. As for the DX160, with most of the built being glass kind of makes me worried about its vulnerability but in short I still couldn't gauge if its build quality will cope up with my abuse for the coming years (or a decade). And I also prefer buttons over volume wheel.

With that, I'm more inclined towards the WM1A for now and seems like I could get one from Vietnam, except that I don't live there and the seller seems reluctant to ship it outside. Only thing I could think of now is to get someone there to pick it up from him and courier it to me, but I still couldn't find anyone from there.

Excellent deduction! The wheel is gonna be problematic for easy pocket storage as opposed to buttons only.
I purchased ddhifi's clutch just for the purpose of a dap+iem storage during travels.
As @Redcarmoose said, it'll work out.
If there's a will, always a way...

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #56 of 81
saw your Yello album.
Try the Flag album, also.
May not be a vocal album, but the "otto di catania" just sublime...

I am familiar with that album. I have had funny coincidences with Yello. Flag was my past managers favorite record by them. In the 1985 I played the "You Gotta Say Yes to Another Excess" for my girlfriends dad and he played it everyday for a month.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #58 of 81
The Rockbox region change will solve the language issue when buying Japan unit of wm1a?

I just referred your question to someone.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #59 of 81
The Rockbox region change will solve the language issue when buying Japan unit of wm1a?
Yes it will. I did it for both my DAPs

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #60 of 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back