Help me start my Audiophile Adventure!
Feb 9, 2007 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bombo

New Head-Fier
Hi there!
smily_headphones1.gif

My audio background very, very deprived: SB-Live + $150ish computer speakers. I am a clean slate. And I'm really keen to jump into the audiophile realm. Budget is $200-300AUD to start; but can be expanded to $500AUD without causing too much extra pain. However I'm reluctant to do this because I'm really just getting my feet wet, and the law of diminishing returns should ensure that I get something that sounds pretty damn amazing to my untrained ears for just a few hundred dollars. I'm basically looking to get the absolute most bang for my buck with this entry system and build from there.

Headphones:
After lurking for a while it seems that the smartest place to start would be grado. I live in Australia so the prices are a little higher/odd: I absolutely cannot decide between these three Grado's as a pair of starter cans: Grado SR-60 ($125 AUD), SR-80 ($150 AUD) or an Allesandro MS-1 ($150 AUD). They all seem to get rave reviews, and each have different qualities which are not necessarily better or worse. I don't know how the MS-1 would cope without an amp, and also the whole ear-pad debacle is confusing. I'm open to other brands of course, but Grado's seem the be the most recommended place to start.

Amp:
I travel a bit so portable is ideal for me. Is it worth holding off for say a hornet outright, and running them directly out of my computer / iPod; or should I buy something like a PA2V2 or as an interim amp? Is the Hornet or a similarly priced amp sooooo much better that it's worth just buying one right now as part of my introductory system?

Source:
Will be mainly a computer, some iPod. Is the Chaintech AV-700 soundcard ($40AUD) a given? Perhaps some DAC+AMP combo like the Headroom Total Bithead would be a good start also. If I get an amp I'll need an iPod Line-out cable too. Are the ALO cables worth the huge price you pay for them, or are there better alternatives?

Thanks very much guys. This seems like a great board and I can't wait to contribute!

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there!
smily_headphones1.gif

My audio background very, very deprived: SB-Live + $150ish computer speakers. I am a clean slate. And I'm really keen to jump into the audiophile realm. Budget is $200-300AUD to start; but can be expanded to $500AUD without causing too much extra pain. However I'm reluctant to do this because I'm really just getting my feet wet, and the law of diminishing returns should ensure that I get something that sounds pretty damn amazing to my untrained ears for just a few hundred dollars. I'm basically looking to get the absolute most bang for my buck with this entry system and build from there.

Headphones:
After lurking for a while it seems that the smartest place to start would be grado. I live in Australia so the prices are a little higher/odd: I absolutely cannot decide between these three Grado's as a pair of starter cans: Grado SR-60 ($125 AUD), SR-80 ($150 AUD) or an Allesandro MS-1 ($150 AUD). They all seem to get rave reviews, and each have different qualities which are not necessarily better or worse. I don't know how the MS-1 would cope without an amp, and also the whole ear-pad debacle is confusing. I'm open to other brands of course, but Grado's seem the be the most recommended place to start.

Amp:
I travel a bit so portable is ideal for me. Is it worth holding off for say a hornet outright, and running them directly out of my computer / iPod; or should I buy something like a PA2V2 or as an interim amp? Is the Hornet or a similarly priced amp sooooo much better that it's worth just buying one right now as part of my introductory system?

Source:
Will be mainly a computer, some iPod. Is the Chaintech AV-700 soundcard ($40AUD) a given? Perhaps some DAC+AMP combo like the Headroom Total Bithead would be a good start also. If I get an amp I'll need an iPod Line-out cable too. Are the ALO cables worth the huge price you pay for them, or are there better alternatives?

Thanks very much guys. This seems like a great board and I can't wait to contribute!

Here's what I did to put my rig together.

Denon CDP - Mint in storage with original packaging etc for $120 AU from eBay.
K-501 - A few hours old from a guy who collected headphones while on an overseas trip to America for $165 AU from eBay.
LD II+ - Brand new, $260 AU delivered from eBay.

Total: $545.00

Love it, and can't believe the performance for the cash! Every so often I get tempted to upgrade ... especially to that headroom starter audiophile kit w/ the K701, but good sense says I'd have to spend a lot more than this for a decent jump.

I used to have the Chaintech AV-710, very enjoyable for music using Wolfson DACs. I used it with a CMOY and Sennheiser HD497, along with a Harman Kardon stereo receiver and Sennheiser HD595.

My current system *canes* both of these setups.

To summarise, being patient and hunting for some bargains on eBay worked for me! Sennheiser's pricey, but lesser known stuff like AKG can yield some sweet deals! Actually, jump on these! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Koss-KSC75-KS...QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm, I wonder if I should pick up a spare K501? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Audiophile-He...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, btw. Can't comment on Grados, never heard one.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi!

All the headphones you listed are strong choices. Any one that appeals to you would be fine. I don't know what the Grado pricing structure is in Australia, but the Alessandro is still $100 USD worldwide. Might take a little longer to get to you than ordering locally, though.

As for the amp, I'd skip the portable and just go for a good desktop. Reason being that the Grados/Alessandros work fine straight out of an iPod. I use them that way when traveling, and don't see why a portable amp is necessary. I think the Hornet is very expensive for what you get. It's priced in the same range as a desktop amp, and you would be much better off buying something like a Corda Arietta, Gilmore Lite, Heed Canamp, Bottlehead S.E.X., or a Mapletree Ear purist that are in the same ballpark. Any of those will smoke a portable and you won't have to futz with an extra box when you're on the go.

I'd recommend getting the headphones now and then spending some time in the Amps Forum figuring out which desktop amp is right for you. Also, consider DIY even if you've never touched a soldering iron before. DIY is always more affordable than commercial amps and the quality is equal or better.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi!
I'd recommend getting the headphones now and then spending some time in the Amps Forum figuring out which desktop amp is right for you. Also, consider DIY even if you've never touched a soldering iron before. DIY is always more affordable than commercial amps and the quality is equal or better.

Thanks! So the Hornet isn't the wisest buy initially. I was under the impression that it compared favorably with similarly priced desktop amps, but since it doesn't it's a clear miss atm. Also I have an Elec Eng degree, so DIY is gravy.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 11
I've owned the MS-1's for 2 and a half years and it's pretty much all I've been listening to. Soundwise, I doubt it could be better for the price. Build quality wise, they could have done a lot better. I've had to send it back to the factory once for a rattling left ear and once more because the left side of the overhead band to which the headphone was attached kept breaking off. All this was covered with the warranty so it was just a matter of shipping and waiting (the latter being the biggest problem for me). Now the cable has gone bad and the sound disappears if it's bent in a certain way but the 1 year warranty has expired so I'll have to pay for it this time. All that said, it's such a great headphone that even if you have to pay to repair it it's still worth the price, adn though I've just been rambling about the bad things about it, I think the pros still greatly outweigh the cons; it's just that because you hear so much about the great sound but never about the crappy build quality that I felt I had to emphasize it so you're not surprised when you get them.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 11
I've also got the MS-1s and sometimes I swear by them and other times swear AT them!

I swear by them because within the last year that I've had them I haven't had any problems. They may have made a recient manufacturing change, but mine have withstood four months constant use by four little kids ages 5 through 12 with no other problems than a stained yellow 414 pad...they started out yellow!...and a damaged cable when they got the cable tangled in the computer chair and gave it a spin and chunks of insulation were torn off between the "Y" connector and the housings!

Ouch!!

I washed the pads and wrapped some tape on the cable where the insulation was torn off, and they work great!

And I sometimes swear AT them, for giving me this darned addiction to all things Alessandro!

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 11
SR-80s come with mini plugs and adaptor, not sure about MS-1s. Other than that, I think MS-1s should be the way to go. Like I said in another post, the difference between the 60s and 80s justifies the extra bit of cash on the 80s. Grados are good out of portables and if you plan to get amps and stuff...maybe you could look into Senns and AKGs too. Amps make a more noticeable difference on those guys.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 11
If you feel like using the computer as your main source, I cannot recommend E-MU 0404USB enough. For <$200, you get a very nice DAC, a decent Class A headphone amp, balanced outputs, ability to independently volume-control headphones and speakers, and convenient interface (everything is on the box itself, the driver panel literally is 1 little window with 3 options). That will take care of home source+amp, and will probably leave you with enough $$ to get a portable amp as well.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-80s come with mini plugs and adaptor, not sure about MS-1s. Other than that, I think MS-1s should be the way to go. Like I said in another post, the difference between the 60s and 80s justifies the extra bit of cash on the 80s. Grados are good out of portables and if you plan to get amps and stuff...maybe you could look into Senns and AKGs too. Amps make a more noticeable difference on those guys.

MS-1s come with a choice of either 1/4 or 1/8" plugs. Pretty cool feature!

And cable choices brings up another question that surprisingly I hadn't run across before. But Paranoid Android was commenting on some problems he's had with his two and a half year old MS-1s cable.

Often times Grado will use an upgrade item if the standard component isn't available. Always better, never worse. But I wonder if the earlier MS-1s came standard with the SR-60 cable, but has been subsequently upgraded to the cable used on SR-125?

The SR-60 uses a three conductor cable while SR-80 and above use a four conductor unit.

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 11
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to do your own research. Too often people just come in without doing any work, asking the same questions.

Headphones: SR-80 or MS-1 Choice is yours. What are your music preferences? That could help us narrow it down.

Amp: PA2V2 is a great choice. You might also want to consider the Go-vibe 5. I would wait on the Hornet until you upgrade your headphones as paying multiple times the value of an intro headphone in an amp doesn't make much sense. SR225+ go vibe5/pa2v2 >>SR80+hornet

Source: I would rather spend the money on better headphones or a nice desktop amp + AV710. One that comes to mind with Grado's is the Little Dot II++. Another choice is to get a USB DAC + decent amp. If you want to dip your feet into USB DACs you can build yourself one for about $70 USD. Otherwise you are looking at a little bit more. The headroom units are very nice, but they are a little expensive to be paired with entry level audiophile headphones. Remember, you are likely to see a greater difference with SR-225 + Little Dot II++ than SR-80 + headroom amps.

ALO cables are very high quality. They are great, but you're paying more than your headphones or 2.5x your amp for one! There are a few DIY available in the for sale forums for much less. Those would be a great option.

Higher budget > SR-80/MS-1 + LDII++ (or other desk amp ~100usd) + PA2v2/Go-vibe + AV710 to see if you really like the Grado house sound.
Lower budget > SR-80/MS-1 + PA2v2/Go-vibe + AV710 (recommended)

Then, figure out what you want improved and come back to us
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back