Help me spend my $! Need first med - highend headphone system
Jan 16, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #31 of 47
Ok, you'll get a real improvement in the sound and obtain the best of your iphone.
Witch lod have you choose ?

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #33 of 47
Looks great.
take us inform about result concerning the sound.
i think it's someone here at headfier who sales it on ebay.

Me i use ALO and Qables.

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathbunny_SG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Mini3 came today so now I have something to go by. I hooked up the mini3 up to my ultra micro dac and also gave it a try on the iphone since thats what I have been using as a source up till now. It was a definate improvement esp when hooked up to the dac. I am pretty happy with the sound for the most part esp the vocals. The highs sound good. The bass improved some, esp the loud boomy kind. These phones seem to have no problem making the noisy part of bass even without the amp they did a pretty good job of it. Drum impact and detail is still very lacking though. Songs like the wall by floyd just dont hit like im used to. I didn't have huge expectations for this amp. I really just wanted something quick so I could get everything going and give me a basis for figuring out what I really want. It seems that something that will give lots of impact and detail to drums is what I am looking for or what is lacking, I really like the rest of the sound. Can the RS1 be good at drums with the right amp or should I be looking at different phones for good drum performance? My last car system had Zapco DC reference amps setup active driving ADS seperates and the drum impact and detail was amazing. I am trying to recreate that kind of sound in a pair of HP if possible. Since I have never actualy heard a high end HP setup I dont really know just how good you can get somthing like drums to sound in a HP.

Thanks for all the recomendations and help! I dont comment all that often here but I do lots of reading on pretty much everything that is suggested in this thread. Researching products and putting a nice system together is as much fun for me as actualy using the system.

Try them with a full size amp - WA6, Millett, Zana Deux, Melos - a nice warm tube hybrid with oomph is good for Grados, but the WA6 is also very good as a transformer driven SET amp. You can also try different pads like flats instead of bowls.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #39 of 47
I found a good deal in the FS section that should put some thump in the drums!
o2smile.gif
I will let you know what I think later in the week when it gets here! Thanks again SACD Lover
beerchug.gif

"Singlepower PPX3 SLAM high voltage .... uses 6BL7GTA output tube with special adapters. For extras, the amp has two inputs, a preamp output and is equipped with the superb Plitron power transformer."

IMG_0189.jpg

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathbunny_SG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a good deal in the FS section that should put some thump in the drums!
o2smile.gif
I will let you know what I think later in the week when it gets here! Thanks again SACD Lover
beerchug.gif

"Singlepower PPX3 SLAM high voltage .... uses 6BL7GTA output tube with special adapters. For extras, the amp has two inputs, a preamp output and is equipped with the superb Plitron power transformer."

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t/IMG_0189.jpg

Good luck w/ that Singlepower. I saw it yesterday and though about picking it up, but no place to put it and my wife would kill me.
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #41 of 47
Welcome to the SP side.

You should be able to hear a "wow" now. Hope Earl set you up with a few extra tubes to try.

Damn Death, your making me grin
biggrin.gif

Now about that dac?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 47
Yes Earl was very generious with both extra tubes and adaptors, plus lots of information
wink.gif

No love for the headroom ultra?
tongue.gif
It seems to sound good but I have nothing else to compare it too plus I dont have a real amp on it yet so
confused_face(1).gif
. The dac i think i really want is the headroom standalone max dac that is comming out this spring. I grabed this one cause it was a good deal and I figured if I wanted to upgrade later I wouldnt loose much.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #45 of 47
I just wanted to thank everyone for all your help. Thanks to what I learned here and some great deals in the FS section I ended up with a much better system and spent a lot less money then I would of if I had to do this on my own.

The new amp sounds FANTASTIC! I have such a huge case of wonder what this song will sound like going on that I dont think I have finished a song all night. This is the first tube amp I have ever heard but I now see what all the fuss was about
gs1000.gif
I was most worried about improving the sound of drums but the way voices sound with this amp is just
eek.gif

To sum up for newer readers.

Grado RS1
Headroom Ultra Micro Dac
SinglePower PPX3 Slam HighVoltage

Total price for setup right around $2000
Hearing tube amp setup for first time, Priceless
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back