help me spend my money! (Amp and DAC for K701s)
Jun 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #61 of 86
the canamp has been bought and paid for
smily_headphones1.gif
until I get my DAC (which hopefully shouldn't be more then a few weeks) what kind of cable can I use to temporarily hook up the amp to my ipod/PC?

edit: since this is a temporary cable I'd like it as cheap as possible, I can deal with a cheap crap cable for a few weeks.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #62 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the canamp has been bought and paid for
smily_headphones1.gif
until I get my DAC (which hopefully shouldn't be more then a few weeks) what kind of cable can I use to temporarily hook up the amp to my ipod/PC?

edit: since this is a temporary cable I'd like it as cheap as possible, I can deal with a cheap crap cable for a few weeks.

As your Canamp only has RCA line input, you'll need few RCA-ended cables. For the Ipod you'll need an LOD to RCA cable. Since you don't have a DAC yet, for PC you will need a RCA to mini in order to amp the headphone out of your PC. Afterwards when you get the DAC, what you'll probably need is an RCA to RCA (will largely depend on what inputs/outputs the DAC has). Everything short of the LOD to RCA (which isn't exactly available in retail stores) you should be able to find at a local electronics store for cheap.

Although what you can do for the LOD situation is to use your current LOD and get a cheap Mini female to RCA cable. That way you can connect your existing LOD into the mini female jack and have it run out to RCA line output.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As your Canamp only has RCA line input, you'll need few RCA-ended cables. For the Ipod you'll need an LOD to RCA cable. Since you don't have a DAC yet, for PC you will need a RCA to mini in order to amp the headphone out of your PC. Afterwards when you get the DAC, what you'll probably need is an RCA to RCA (will largely depend on what inputs/outputs the DAC has). Everything short of the LOD to RCA (which isn't exactly available in retail stores) you should be able to find at a local electronics store for cheap.

Although what you can do for the LOD situation is to use your current LOD and get a cheap Mini female to RCA cable. That way you can connect your existing LOD into the mini female jack and have it run out to RCA line output.

thanks! should I be able to find cables like these in radioshack?

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #65 of 86
Yup, Radio Shack should have all of those cables (again, minus the LOD -> RCA) in their stock. They're all very basic cables for audio.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #66 of 86
What I don't get is that you would only be happy with the $300 promo price which is an amp + dac with the Compass. $340 or so for the canamp and that doesn't leave much to spend on a DAC.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #67 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, Radio Shack should have all of those cables (again, minus the LOD -> RCA) in their stock. They're all very basic cables for audio.

Great
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I'm going to get the female mini to RCA because I have an LOD > male mini and a mini to mini that's male on both ends so this way I can get to my ipod and PC with one cable

I'm currently listening to my K701s unamped straight into my ipod classic, my hornet's battery crapped out. This thing sounds like I'm under water

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I don't get is that you would only be happy with the $300 promo price which is an amp + dac with the Compass. $340 or so for the canamp and that doesn't leave much to spend on a DAC.

well the way I see it is I could get the Compass which is now $400 or get a $400 amp at a nice discount and I can part with up to $100-175 for the DAC honestly if I REALLY have to, which it looks like I have to. I will admit I underestimated my budget a bit on here because I was expecting this, not that I mind but everyone suggests expending the budget a little bit here and there for this and that so I figured if I under estimate a bit I'll end up where I want to be, which is exactly what happened.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #69 of 86
Wait til you get a decent amp. Unfortunately when new to the hobby, seeing the cost for the benefits just don't seem worth it. Having a plan and going at your budget's pace will get you there with a little faith.

Enjoy!

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #70 of 86
Quote:

well the way I see it is I could get the Compass which is now $400 or get a $400 amp at a nice discount and I can part with up to $100-175 for the DAC honestly if I REALLY have to, which it looks like I have to. I will admit I underestimated my budget a bit on here because I was expecting this, not that I mind but everyone suggests expending the budget a little bit here and there for this and that so I figured if I under estimate a bit I'll end up where I want to be, which is exactly what happened.

You seriously underestimated the Compass amp. Do you really think a $400 amp made in Europe would be the same price as one made in China? But happy you are happy with your choice. Your CanAmp is on the left, that's the entire Amp. The rest is just the toroidal in the back which I didn't show. On the right is the Compass, not the DAC, but the Amp. ONLY the Amp, DAC on separate module.

Enjoy your headphone journey and your K701. I'm sure you will be quite happy with your CanAmp, but don't think that the Compass Amp is less because of the price. CanAmp is made in Europe, that's why it's more expensive, rofl. Kingwa specifically said he made the Compass to be without doubt the best headphone amp/dac option in that price range. There is a reason for his pricing.

I don't want to derail this thread, but don't want some other person looking to amp his K701 to think that the CanAmp is more of an amp than the Compass Amp, that's just plain wrong.

Power Output of the Compass

150 Ohm load - 600 mW (long term)
250 Ohm load - 350 mW (long term)
300 Ohm load - 300 mW (long term)
600 Ohm load - 150 mW (long term)

The CanAmp's power output is about 1 watt @ 8 ohm. Yeah the Compass is almost 2 Watt @ 32 ohm. And you can read more elsewhere about the detail and clarity of the Compass Amp.

Heed.jpg
Compass.jpg

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #71 of 86
so what can I expect as far as a difference between the hornet and the canamp? Is it going to be day and night?

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #72 of 86
You may wanna get some decent IC's when your dac arrives. Spend maybe 30 bucks at BlueJeansCables. Yes it will be a big difference. Reserve some of your judgement for when you get a dac though. Without the dac you only have 2 peices of the puzzle.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may wanna get some decent IC's when your dac arrives. Spend maybe 30 bucks at BlueJeansCables. Yes it will be a big difference. Reserve some of your judgement for when you get a dac though. Without the dac you only have 2 peices of the puzzle.

Yeah I know that, I also just realized that my mac also has an optical in port so USB is no longer a requirement in a DAC. I was going to buy a cheap female mini to RCA cable for just the amp then when I get the DAC I am going to have lil knight make me some nice RCA cables.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #74 of 86
Quote:

Yeah I know that, I also just realized that my mac also has an optical in port so USB is no longer a requirement in a DAC. I was going to buy a cheap female mini to RCA cable for just the amp then when I get the DAC I am going to have lil knight make me some nice RCA cables.

Go optical then, if you want. Works for me.
smile.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #75 of 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Back