help me spend my money! (Amp and DAC for K701s)
Jun 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to use the Ipod as a source, you'll need a DAC of some sort unless you want to amp the headphone out, which as you may know (since you use the LOD) is a BAD idea.

IMO in the long run it's better to spend money on a good DAC and an amp separate in the long run. My main setup is also out of a laptop, but my rig consists of a Hotaudio DAC Straight for a DAC (has a maxed-out Burr Brown DAC chip which is well regarded, and this is a pure dedicated DAC with no amp component, very cheap at only around $120) to EF1 which I got used for only $280... and I'm totally blown away by the sound. All it cost is $400 altogether.
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont know what this guy is talking about but a LOD (Line Out Dock) cable for your ipod wold be a good idea, as long as your music is ripped at a high bitrate or lossless.

Listen, your biggest weak link just now is not having enough power to drive the 701 properly. Get an amp and worry about sources later. What good is a new dac if your still using an underpowered amp that clips everytime the music peaks? The honest answer is, None!

Maybe you could sell the portable amp and get a dac in the near future.
wink_face.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #32 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know what this guy is talking about but a LOD (Line Out Dock) cable for your ipod wold be a good idea, as long as your music is ripped at a high bitrate or lossless.

Listen, your biggest weak link just now is not having enough power to drive the 701 properly. Get an amp and worry about sources later. What good is a new dac if your still using an underpowered amp that clips everytime the music peaks? The honest answer is, None!

Maybe you could sell the portable amp and get a dac in the near future.
wink_face.gif

lol ... lil'knight makes all of my cables so he knows eactly what's going on with my cable inventory.

I was looking up the heed amp and I didn't see much information as far as reviews go (but like I've said before, I suck at searches) I'd definitely need to see something before jumping into a used amp like that.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #33 of 86
Quote:

Nevermind, I think I was confusing myself here, with the Laptop and the Ipod line outs.
redface.gif
Do note though that you may need to get a different type of Line out cable for the Ipod depending on what inputs your amp choice takes (RCA or mini jack). Important to remember since you are coming from the Hornet which only has a mini input, and amps you are looking at the moment mostly only have RCA input.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #34 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol ... lil'knight makes all of my cables so he knows eactly what's going on with my cable inventory.

I was looking up the heed amp and I didn't see much information as far as reviews go (but like I've said before, I suck at searches) I'd definitely need to see something before jumping into a used amp like that.

Its really no skin off my nose. I just thought you might want a really nice amp for your 701's instead of being talked into a peice of junk.

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Search Results
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hee...9/#post2631243

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #35 of 86
Jun 11, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #37 of 86
alright after reading some reviews I'm considering the canamp, sent the seller a PM. My max budget is $400 so I'd still have about $80 left over, can I get a DAC for around that price that would work nicely?

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #38 of 86
Jun 11, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #39 of 86
Quote:

The Heed is solid state and your best option and you are being presented with one used that is in excellent shape. I would get the amp and make the dac your next project, maybe if you have a birthday or X-mas comming. Nothing for 400 bucks will give you a decent source and amp suitable for the 701, at 400 for both you may as well stick with what you have.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...3/#post5683301

hold the phones...aren't you posting in another thread how much you loathe the 701;s?
lol

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #40 of 86
Quote:

80 bucks? Get a LOD cable for your ipod or a mini to rca for your computer. You probably wanna spend another 3 or 4 hundred on a source. Im gonna look in the used section.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...2/#post5530109

can that little guy do a good job?

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #41 of 86
Quote:

can that little guy do a good job?

It may be a little nicer than your headphone jack on the computer or lineout doc on the ipod but we are not talking night and day here. If it were me I would use the sources you have and take a deep breath and wait for a nice dac to come along down the road. You have been using your ipod and computer so far right? The amp will improve the sound of the 701's for now. You should hear more bass and more detail and it should sound more dynamic. When you get the heed then sell the portable and use that dough to get a dac.
beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #42 of 86
Quote:

It may be a little nicer than your headphone jack on the computer or lineout doc on the ipod but we are not talking night and day here. If it were me I would use the sources you have and take a deep breath and wait for a nice dac to come along down the road. You have been using your ipod and computer so far right? The amp will improve the sound of the 701's for now. You should hear more bass and more detail and it should sound more dynamic. When you get the heed then sell the portable and use that dough to get a dac.
beerchug.gif

haha, no way I'm selling my Hornet, ever spend 20 hours straight in a library? not fun without some nice music. For just a little difference I think I'm better off just getting the amp, how much would it cost to get a good DAC to compliment the rest of the gear?

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #43 of 86
Quote:

haha, no way I'm selling my Hornet, ever spend 20 hours straight in a library? not fun without some nice music. For just a little difference I think I'm better off just getting the amp, how much would it cost to get a good DAC to compliment the rest of the gear?

Is USB necessary? Anyway, something like this would be nice. http://cgi.ebay.com/KECES-DA-151-Mk2...3A1%7C294%3A50
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...3/#post5755533

Here ya go Gatto http://www.audiophileproducts.com/fubar2
Better still http://www.audiophileproducts.com/fubar3

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #44 of 86
If you need/want to keep to cost as low as possible there are two options which you should explore. First the Ocatavart Amp/DAC, it can be bought new for $270 in eBay and it is a great sounding combo.

Octavart O1 Headphone amplifier DAC AMP/DAC - eBay (item 360082003729 end time Jun-19-09 07:45:20 PDT)

Next is an unit which has a lot of controversy behind it. The Beresford TC7520. I have had a TC7510 on loan from a fellow head fier and it sounded fantastic. The newer model (TC7520) has USB implementation and allegedly better headphone amp section. You can buy it for $250.

I have listen to them and also the Heed CanAmp. For the K701 I would prefer the Heed but you will have to spend a lot of additional monies to get a DAC. With the Octavart or the Beresford you will be happy, specially w/ the cost to performance ratio.

Good luck.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #45 of 86
Hey G,

Do the Heed (or any SS amp) now and look to Audiogon for a decent tube dac for cheap later. This gives you the power of the SS amp with tube sound from the source. I'm using an old CAL Sigma II dac that goes for $250 on Agon. Tubes will make the 701s sound smoother with a digital source. This should get you through school until you start your practice and can buy that dream stat rig.

Or not.

By the way, olblueyez has given very good advice and hasn't belittled the OP for their liking the 701. More should follow his efforts in respecting others choices and helping as they can. (I can't believe I'm saying this but I'll give credit when due)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back