help me spend my money! (Amp and DAC for K701s)
Jun 12, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #46 of 86
Over the weekend we (some friends and I) compared the Headroom Max amp, K.I.C.A.S Caliente, HeadDirect EF1, and the PeachTree Audio Decco headphone out to each other. We used HD650s and 3 pairs of 701/702s.

All of us agreed that the Caliente sounded the best with the 701s. All the other amps sounded very similar besides the Caliente. It is a bit warmer and its bass is incredible with the 701/702s. My friend with the EF1 is now buying the Caliente to pair with his 702s he liked it that much more. I think he is getting a pair of D2000 to go with the EF1.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #47 of 86
Not to toot my own horn..but I recently wrote this up, and I think I really learned alot. It's directly related to the EF1 and the Heed especially, and written for people like you in mind.
redface.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ef1...pdated-428108/

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #49 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to toot my own horn..but I recently wrote this up, and I think I really learned alot. It's directly related to the EF1 and the Heed especially, and written for people like you in mind.
redface.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ef1...pdated-428108/

Try a Sylvania GB (Gold Brand) 5814A/5963/12AU7/6189. Just make sure it has gold pins. Then compare to the Heed.
wink_face.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #51 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't go for the GD compass at all. From what I've read, it doesn't compare to slightly higher end amplifiers such as the EF1, Shanling PH100, Kicas Caliente.

The EF1 is a tube hybrid, so it's either a plus or a minus. Shanling and Caliente both solid state... All these three are highly recommended, and the Heed Canamp is as well.
I can testify the KICAS Caliente is just what my k701 needs, and what my life needs. It's a discrete class A design, simply designed and doesn't require ANY kind of extra attention. Well built, simply designed, goes for 400CAD. (364$)
I haven't tried the EF1, or shanling. The things I read about the EF1 really made me want to try one... Seems like a really cool, valuable hybrid.

However, if you really need a DAC and can't expand your price range the audio-gd is the only sane choice that would really be an upgrade. If you can spare some more money, I'd opt for either a EF1 (and try some tube-rolling), Kicas Caliente or PH100.

There are comparisons between the EF1 and caliente, but not with the PH100. I'm interested myself... I feel that my Caliente is slightly on the lower side of gain with my k701, though there's still plenty

You don't know what you are talking about, so I'd jut keep quiet. Recommend your Caliente and end it there.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #52 of 86
Quote:

USB is definitely a must

do know where I can find some good reviews of the fubar2? do you think something that price can be a good DAC or will this be just a little stepping stone that won't make much difference? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I also just wanted to say thanks so much for all the help and advice everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #54 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by loc4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over the weekend we (some friends and I) compared the Headroom Max amp, K.I.C.A.S Caliente, HeadDirect EF1, and the PeachTree Audio Decco headphone out to each other. We used HD650s and 3 pairs of 701/702s.

All of us agreed that the Caliente sounded the best with the 701s. All the other amps sounded very similar besides the Caliente. It is a bit warmer and its bass is incredible with the 701/702s. My friend with the EF1 is now buying the Caliente to pair with his 702s he liked it that much more. I think he is getting a pair of D2000 to go with the EF1.

ehem... uhm...

I wouldn't ignore this comment. That is, unless USB is an ultra must, which I don't see why it would be.

Unless you want it to be portable, I think you'd be better off getting a good amp first, than a DAC when the money comes. If you're looking for a real upgrade, that's the way to go. I think the difference with the fubar won't be quite enough for the money, especially with headphones like the k701.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #58 of 86
a used EF1 went up on the FS section but I'm thinking I should stick to the canamp until I can learn more about tubes, where should I start when it comes to looking into tubes?

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #60 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a used EF1 went up on the FS section but I'm thinking I should stick to the canamp until I can learn more about tubes, where should I start when it comes to looking into tubes?

From my experience, a great way to learn more about tubes was the Tube rolling recommendation threads here in this forum, such as for EF1, Raptor, Little Dot, etc. Check those out. My knowledge is limited to the 12AU7 tubes (which is an input gain tube, it's the only tube that my hybrid EF1 uses) but most other amps use different tubes, and in almost all cases with fully tube amps, multiple tubes. Tube/Hybrid amps do allow for a lot of flexibility and Tubes do change the sound considerably, so you should definitely put it into consideration (if not for K701 then for your other/future headphones). So you'll have to learn about tube matching, testing, and stuff like that. Olblueyez and Skylab here in this forum both have a lot of experiences with Tube/Tube amps, so they'll help you out with specific questions I'm sure (plus many others).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back