Help me set up motorcycle helmet. Please :-)
Feb 4, 2014 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Guysakar

New Head-Fier
Simply put, I want to stream music from an Android based smartphone to my helmet.

I'm thinking of going with an HTC One + Plus, as I can get one fairly inexpensive ($200-$250) on eBay. I wanted to go with the S3 because of its known sound quality, but it only has a 210 Lux screen, thus while on the bike, visibility will not be great in sunlight (HTC One X + is 462 Lux).

I am thinking of going with this Bluetooth receiver and pairing it with a portable, small amp that I will weatherproof and affix to my helmet.

Is this a bad idea? To run from a phone, to a Bluetooth receiver, to a portable amp, and then to headphones?

I doubt the BT receiver will be powerful enough on its own, is why I want to include an amp.

I'm not using in ear headphones as they are starting to give me inner ear pain, so I will likely be using Koss KSC75, as they fit nicely in my helmet.

However, they are too large in diameter to make it to a positioning directly over my ear, so any suggestions on a smaller, but equally capable (mainly of loud volume) set would be gladly appreciated as well.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 5

I am thinking of going with this Bluetooth receiver and pairing it with a portable, small amp that I will weatherproof and affix to my helmet.

Try the Audiomate wireless system. You hook it up to the earphone output* of your One X+, then you clip the 2-way receiver to your earphones. I won one at a local event, and I walked out of the hall wearing an LCD-2 - not as good as my desktop amp, but definitely not bad. I'm not sure about whether I can hear enough over a bike's engine and wind noise though, but it easily overdrives my very efficient ASG-1 IEMs. It's 2-way so if you have a headset you can use it to take a call on the go.

BTW aren't there bike helmets that have speakers in the lining? I came across them some time ago but cant find them now. Maybe the companies who do that can transplant these into a helmet that you prefer.

*(yeah, sure, not a lineout but personally fr this application I'd set that aside

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply. That's very interesting. The sound quality will likely be much better than A2DP bluetooth. My main concern first is sound level as the speakers are going to have to compete with engine noise, wind, etc...

If my phone was not going to be in a sealed case mount I would probably go with this opposed to BT. I still may and just drill and seal some holes in case.

I wonder how much better the sound quality will be with this vs the BT. Like, enough to warrant drilling holes in case, having one more thing on the bike that rain can damage, have to remove when dismounting, etc...

Again, thanks. 

And oh yeah, they do have helmets with speakers in them already, but I assume most of the more affordable ones have crap speakers, and then on top of that, I already have a helmet that fits me perfectly and I'm real particular about my helmet fit. Too tight it hurts, too loose and the wind buffeting jiggles it around on your head, etc... And then to add to it, I dislike full face helmets, so my options are even more limited. I love being able to open visor and have a full, unobstructed view. Plus I don;t know how people properly breath in those things in Florida summers. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 5
  I wonder how much better the sound quality will be with this vs the BT. Like, enough to warrant drilling holes in case, having one more thing on the bike that rain can damage, have to remove when dismounting, etc...

Is that a waterproof case that seals up all access holes with no flaps/covers? I wouldn't drill through those either. Another option though is to use a different case and a ziplock bag for the phone, hook up the Audiomate transmitter, and seal 'em up in there.

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 5
You ride a bike on the public streets with all those distractions and I don't think you will need to worry about helmet fit for long
From an old 4B biker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back