Help me select headphones - budget $80.00
Feb 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #33 of 43
@Miggs:

I only vaguely remember the selection available at Axe although it was fairly decent. Most headsets were on the larger side but I THINK (don't quote me on this) there may have been M-Audio Q40s for roughly $100. I haven't heard them myself but they do get praise on this board. I also know Vistek in Willow Park (SE) sells a small selection of head phones but if you're more than 5 minutes away its not worth the trip (however their camera selection is pretty good!).

As for Long & McQuade, keep checking in, I was in there a week or two ago and they had K81djs available in the PA department and they keep a steady supply of them I believe.

In terms of the Canadian Tire stuff, I'd just avoid it. There's better available for the price.

@Anon:
I've listened to the MDR-7506 briefly at Axe Music which is a similar headphone. They're not bad for the price but there's something about sony's sound signature I just don't like. Its like its kind of warm but kind of hollow at the same time.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #34 of 43
I say go with the Koss portapro or ksc-75. I have tried almost all of the other phones in this thread, the only other ones that I really like are the Denon 1001/Aurvana Live, but those are out of your price range. The px-100 sound awful, though I know there are many headfier's who recommend them, they are very veiled and congested sounding like someone else mentioned. I like the form factor, but I had to return them and I originally bought them for just $20 or something, I just didn't like them.

The KSC-75 is my favorite travel phone, they leak some but not terrible and you can still hear what's going on around you if you need to. They are also VERY easy to pack. They can be modded for better sound. I found mine on sale at radio shack recently and they were like $6, I bought every pair they had.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #35 of 43
This is one tough assignment. Spending $80 Canadian in Canada for quality cans ain't easy!

I'd throw my vote for the KSC75, but they leak a lot and would drive other folks on your flight nutty. Plus, you'd have to contend with the aircraft noise.

There was another recent thread about Canadian online vendors that stock headphones. It's here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/can...ailers-399459/

Not sure how you feel about recertified stuff, but newegg.ca has these noise canceling JVC phones which would be good inflight:
Newegg.ca - Recertified: JVC HA-NC250 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Noise Canceling Headphone

Also, there's Koss PortaPros, which may leak less that the KSC75 but seems to get good reviews around here.
NCIX.com - Buy Koss PortaPro Portable Stereo Headphones Black 15-25000HZ 60OHM 4FT - PORTAPRO In Canada.

Also, there are some iGrados, which don't get much mention but aren't slagged either:
STEREOTYPE AUDIO

I think all of these should be within your price range, including shipping.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #36 of 43
mookowz13 -

too bad i couldn't find a single place in france where you can do that

i would have tested them otherwise

i think i will go with them, it will still be better than whatever headphone i ever had

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #37 of 43
I never thought it'd be that hard to buy quality headphones in Canadia.

Here is a thought: Do you have any American friends that you could ship the item to? They could then reship it to you... It should only add $10 USD at most to the overall price.

I've boughten items for people in Europe and shipped them over there for them.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #38 of 43
Well.. Let's say I increase my budget to $100 max.. What's a good set for that price.

I wouldn't mind a set like the KOSS Portapro or Sennheiser PX100, but I would like something more comfortable.

Sorry guys.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #39 of 43
PX100 are actually incredibly comfortable I find, I barely notice they're there when I'm using them.

Also, while the PX100s are a little congested I didn't find them that badly veiled and for the price they're available at here (anywhere between 40-100) if its only the lower end of the price spectrum I think they're well worth it.

In terms of comfort...avid the K81djs...they are a head clamp nightmare and I have a tiny head.

If you're going up to $100 your options open up a little so I'd say its a reasonable move.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mookowz13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PX100 are actually incredibly comfortable I find, I barely notice they're there when I'm using them.

Also, while the PX100s are a little congested I didn't find them that badly veiled and for the price they're available at here (anywhere between 40-100) if its only the lower end of the price spectrum I think they're well worth it.

In terms of comfort...avid the K81djs...they are a head clamp nightmare and I have a tiny head.

If you're going up to $100 your options open up a little so I'd say its a reasonable move.

I guess Senns PX100 still are in there, not bad as I had expected. So more options, what can you suggest then?

Thanks Mooko
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: Mooko just noticing on the Koss website, some of their Full sized headphones are pretty well priced, anything from them that would be good.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #41 of 43
To be perfectly honest miggs I have yet to hear a single offering from Koss. I did see some sportapros at the Chinook Zellers and I almost shelled out for them but I bought my k81djs not minutes before that lol.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #42 of 43
Hey mooko, Totally appreciate your help. I guess I might have to personally visit Axe Music some time next week for sure. I also looked at vistek, but their online headphone selection are a little on the high side.

Axe does sell the PX100, and since it is local, I'll pick up a pair to try it out, unless they have something real good to offer to me, and hopefully I'll get to try some of them on, if they have a variety of headphones, they should let ppl test them.

Koss Portapros are a good pair, but except for ncix, can't seem to spot them out anywhere else, As for the Sennheisers, memory express carries some, and they have the HD202, which I might also buy and try. My philosophy personally is to buy at least 2 of 3 of what I want, test them to know which one best suits me, then return the others.

I really wanted to try out Grados, but 90% of the retailers in the US aren't allowed to sell outside the US per Grado, and the placed that do carry Grado in Canada, are expensive. Like you can get a pair of Grado SR60 for $69 in the US, and they start at $99 here in Canada.

Anyways, we shall meet sometimes, I owe you a treat for sure, it was you who made me realize that Axe music and Vistek had locations in Calgary, I didn't bother to check before.. LOL..
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #43 of 43
If you are still looking then I totally recommend the Portapros. I got a pair last week in the UK for 18ukp and the sound is just superb! I have HD650s, Shure SE530s etc but the comfort of the Portapros, the clarity of the sound and the open sound stage makes them a delight to listen to.

Give them a go if you get the chance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back