Help me select headphones - budget $80.00
Jan 31, 2009 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

miggs78

Head-Fier
Hello people.

I was first considering noise canceling headphones as I am flying in March, pretty long flight. But for $80, I was looking and found couple people suggesting that I wouldn't really get a comfortable set for that price.

So I decided just to get regular full sized headphones for daily use, which I will be carrying in the plane. Now before I list what I picked out, I read this Quote:

Circumaural headphones have earcups which totally surround the ear and can be more comfortable than supra-aural headphones which sit directly on the ear.

from a review website, which does make sense. But my list has mixed ones, please help me choose something for under CAD $80.

Sennheiser HD415 - $60.00
Sennheiser HD200 MASTER - $100
Sennheiser HD202 $49.99
AKG K44/K55 - $35.70 / $53
AKG K512 - $47.00
AKG K77 - $46.00
AKG K99 - $68.00

I've been digging so far I found interest in the Sennheiser HD415 and the AKG K77/K99 because of their Circumaural headphone design.

Thanks.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 43
I've tried the HD202 before. They're not bad. But a little bass heavy. And closed. After using open, even tough sound leaks out, it sounds more natural and less closed....pun intended? You decide. It's not bad though, I can't tell you if it's worth 50 bucks, but if you can find it for less, like 40 or less, I'd go for it. Only issue I have with it is the insanely long cable for a relatively non audiophile headphone. Anyways, that's just my opinion, don't flame me for it!

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 43
I suggest you look into canalphones as well, in particular Head Direct RE2s.

They isolate well enough, are comfy, have a wide soundstage plus they're more portable. The only thing is people tend to find that there is a lack of bass. However, IMO there's enough bass to satisfy me. It's definitely there, but maybe not enough for certain people.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you look into canalphones as well, in particular Head Direct RE2s.

They isolate well enough, are comfy, have a wide soundstage plus they're more portable. The only thing is people tend to find that there is a lack of bass. However, IMO there's enough bass to satisfy me. It's definitely there, but maybe not enough for certain people.

Unfortunately, I have tried both earphones and canalphones with no succession, they just me, earphones just don't go in, and canalphones just keep falling off from my ear because of the wax..

So no AKG... Maan I read so much on AKG in these forums, and no one.. :p

I guess I am made for
k701smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
darthsmile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imo you could stand to wait till you have more money.

There's a lot to be said for this argument, particularly if you're trying to keep your budget in check. But I've gone the other route, buying inexpensive phones to get a sense of what kind of sound I like. I have HA-RX900, q-jays, ER6i and KSC75 and I can tell you exactly what I like and dislike about each. So now when it comes to my next buy — which I'm sure will be my final and forever headphones
dt880smile.png
— I'll have the experience and vocabulary to describe what I want precisely. Plus, the OP wanted them for an upcoming flight, so time's an issue.

@miggs78 -- have you considered a set of in-ear monitors? They work very well at canceling out aircraft noise. You should be able to find ety ER6i within your price range...

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 43
Thanks Micmacmo,

As I mentioned earlier in the posts, I can't live in earphones, in-ear phones and canalphones, way too uncomfortable for me.

I know what you guys are saying, I could spend more money.. but really budget is budget, and if I do like the headphone I like the first time, I'll be keeping it for the next few years.

Now I know they are some few sets in that price range, so please suggest ahead, if there's some other open/closed full size cans you guys know available in Canada, please go ahead.

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 43
By all means, buy from amazon. Try it for a month, If you don't like it, then return it. They even cover some shipping costs when you return. So there's very little to lose. Best of all you don't have to "test drive" them in a super noisy environment.

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 43
I'm a newbie as well, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I would suggest upping your budget $20-$40. (USD)
I've been doing research here for a while, and it seems to me that there are three pairs that excel in this range:

Denon AH-D1001
Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80 ohm

D1001's are all around good, but far from perfect. Cheaper than the rest though. Made better through recabling. Not so good for classic, etc. music. not very good isolation

ATH-AD700 are open air and have a massive sound stage. Good for classical music and gaming., not so good for Bassy music. Bass can be improved with the use of an amp.

DT770- good isolation, good bass. all around good.

Each can be found on ebay for ~$110 shipped. (USD)

my opinion:
I would go with the DT770's unless you think open air would be better for you.
The D1001's are a good option when they aren't so expensive. (I got my for $63 shipped). (USD)

EDIT:
DT770 ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/beyerdynamic-DT-...QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT again: Looks like the DT770's are more expensive than I thought.. that pair on ebay is used, no returns.
Might still be worth considering.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 43
I was looking at $100 max, but USD that could be more like $130 CAD, more like $50 more.. Kinda hard to afford at the moment really. I don't need like absolute best headphones, I do listen do different kind of music, hip hop, soft/light rock, metal, techno/trance..

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by miggs78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at $100 max, but USD that could be more like $130 CAD, more like $50 more.. Kinda hard to afford at the moment really. I don't need like absolute best headphones, I do listen do different kind of music, hip hop, soft/light rock, metal, techno/trance..

FWIR, lower priced headphones you may want to consider: Yamaha RH5MA, Creative Aurvana Live, and Fostex T50RP. The Yamaha is priced just right for you.

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 43
I don't seem to find the Yamaha's in Canada, anywhere. The Creative Aurvana do look good, but are kind of out of range.

Since my budget is low for some good cans, I'll just have to revise the list..

Sennheiser HD202
Sennheiser PX100
Koss PortaPro.

The Portapro and PX100, I guess might be the best portable headphones ever alive. I've included the HD202's only because they are in range, seen lots of people suggesting these headphones, lots of people even found them comfortable, I don't care what I pick, comfort comes first in my list.

As far as I've researched all 3 headphones have pretty good sounds quality, now please help me decide between those 3. Remember comfortable and daily use please.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back