Help me save these DT48S. *edit: Yea!! They work.
Oct 23, 2009 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mfaughn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I have come into possession of some DT48S headphones. One of the drivers isn't production sound. I suspect that there is an open circuit between the little brass screws that hold the cable terminals in place and the leads from the voice coil. It really old and gummy in there. I've poked around in there with the leads from another cable to see if I could get it going but no joy. The connection assembly isn't looking so hot. The little screws had white stuff all over them when I extracted them. I'm suspecting it is residue from the plastic that the assembly is made of. Am I right that there is no way to get that assembly out? It seems to be glued in. As it stands, all I can figure to do is hack it apart with and exacto knife and hope to heck that I can find the voice coil leads in there and solder directly to them (probably using paste -- its a tight space and delicate wires and paste will minimize the heat and other possible screw ups for me). Anyone have any thoughts?

I have taken the driver apart but I didn't test continuity for the coil on the inside. Probably should've but my MM was downstairs and I"m lazy. FWIW, I wouldn't advise anyone to take the driver apart unless they have to. Naked voice coils scare me. Way too fragile.

-Michael

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 13
You ought to be able to salvage them.

First, check for continuity across the suspect voicecoil. If you have it, you can work with it. If not, Beyerdynamic sells replacement drivers.

I'm not entirely sure what's up inside your DT48 - can you post a few pics so we can see?

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 13
I'll check to vc if I can. Thinking about it, the wire should be enameled (insulated) in there and I don't want to open that until I'm out of other options. I could probably reseal it with fingernail polish but still...
As for a replacement driver. That's well and good except I can't see any way to get the driver out of there. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.
These are old cans. Wired mono. Tanks. I think they would survive a fall onto concrete from several hundred feet.
Thanks,
Michael

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes, I just got them from an ebay auction. Might I expect that Beyer is going to advise me on how to fix these dinosaurs? That would be great. I'm not interested in buying a replacement driver. Where's the fun in that? I want to fix the one I have.
-Michael

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 13
Yea!! I fixed 'em. Mostly... It wasn't easy. I had to pick up the leads from the voice coil (tiny wires) right off the diaphragm and build back out from there. In the process I bumped the vc and deformed it just a little. Result is that I have to back the magnet off just a tiny bit (maybe 30 degrees?). The drivers probably aren't matched as well as they were. They sound a bit different sometimes, sometimes I can't tell a difference. The fixed one also goes in and out a bit and I have to whack the housing a bit. I may need to back the magnet off a tad more. I think the clamp hard enough that the housing might flex just a little bit which might lead to vc rub (??? maybe ??) If I'm careful I might be able to reshape the vc a little better too. Anyway, I get to hear pretty much what these sound like. Wired 'em stereo too. Pretty neat headphones.

-Michael

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 13
tinkered more. no longer intermittent. sound pretty balanced now too. not sure I could tell which one is the fixed driver if I ABX'ed 'em.

they are growing on me as I listen to them.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 13
Will try get some soon. I'm NOT going to remove the magnets from either one of the drivers again because now that I've got them working I don't want to screw them up. I'll probably just open up the one that wasn't broken in the first place. It's also kinda tight in there where the cable terminates. That part will be hard to see. The cable is now a Senn HD650 cable that I had sitting around.

BTW, they are playing nice with my SS amp better than my hybrid.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a few pics.

They are different then the NAGRA DT48S from the 50's.. Everything is silver. They are probably a later addition.. I still think the DT48a non stock cable is the best, and reminds me of the K1000 the most in many areas.. The APS V3 really opened them up. To me, they allow for the most purest of the music.. They get out of the musics way more convincingly then my other DT48. Strange thing is. I haven't used them so long since I got my new amp. Won't support my 5 ohm DT48a.. I expected a re adjustment period like usual, but for the first time there was none.. Not sure I can explain why, since the DT48a always sounded much different then the other DT48 models. The DT48a are for the hardcore, no frills audiophile who doesn't want anything getting inbetween him and the music. Still a aaquired taste though.. And they will always be mis understood. Will have my 50 ohm adapter in November, so I'll get to use my GP amp with them. They remind me of a Matrix scene. When Neo asked Morpheous why is everything bright, and why do my eyes hurt. He replied. You never used them before. You have never opened your eyes to 'see'. Replace eyes with ears and add the DT48, especially, the DT48a/s, and you will be 'hearing' for the first time.. Thats my experience with them, when I first got them.. They sounded 'weird' and 'wrong', 3 days later, they sound just right, with my other headphones sounding, wrong, off, un natural, and in accurate.. Hense I sold them all. Still keep my Ortho's and K280, but I want them gone too. I'm 100% content with my DT48.. Only dynamic headphones that would probably make me push them to the side would be the HD800/K1000/Q10. STAX wise 4070.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back