Help me reduce alcohol consumption
May 5, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting publicly beat up will probably cause him to drink more.
tongue.gif

I rarely drink, but when I do know that it's going to be around, I just pass it off and drink other things.

May 5, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #47 of 84
It is easier to not have the first drink than to stop after three or four. It sounds like you are binge drinking as said before; it is hard because they throw alcohol at students and you are openly encouraged to get wasted. But nice-one for opening up and saying you think you have a problem, that's hard to do!

May 5, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen people absolutely out of their minds after drinking nothing but beer.

You and everyone else. I wasn't suggesting that limiting oneself to one kind of alcohol is a way to avoid getting completely bombed. Rather, I've found that it can help prevent the effects of alcohol from coming on too quickly, which can in turn prevent more irrational drinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can that not sound like alcoholism?

Alcoholism implies a dependency. Simply because the OP drinks too much when he drinks does not mean he's an alcoholic. He may be showing signs of a propensity for alcoholism, the same way an alarming number of 18 to 24-year-olds do, but that does not make him an alcoholic. It sounds to me like he simply doesn't know how to drink. Keep in mind I'm not talking from the perspective of someone who considers alcohol a wonderful thing. I find consuming it to be generally dull. I actually wish I liked to drink more, as there are a lot of great beers out there.

May 5, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That image is worthless and misleading without context.

I understand the point they're trying to make, but the article only says it's FMRI "during a memory task". They don't even say if either image is typical.

Hey, that's fine, I wasn't trying to save the world with that article.

May 5, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #50 of 84
Need help my butt, your doing just fine by yourself.

Staying away from the tool of your mental weakness will help you understand why you drink to excess. Its up to you to be able to hold yourself accountable. If you can't, then avoid the choice. You would be amazed at how easy forgiving yourself becomes. You don't have to see that side of midnight, where the beggars howl and groan. (Steve Walsh line)

May 5, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #51 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alcoholism implies a dependency. Simply because the OP drinks too much when he drinks does not mean he's an alcoholic. He may be showing signs of a propensity for alcoholism, the same way an alarming number of 18 to 24-year-olds do, but that does not make him an alcoholic. It sounds to me like he simply doesn't know how to drink. Keep in mind I'm not talking from the perspective of someone who considers alcohol a wonderful thing. I find consuming it to be generally dull. I actually wish I liked to drink more, as there are a lot of great beers out there.

Dependency isn't exclusive to needing alcohol to get through the day. I think that it is clear to see that the OP already has developed a particular dependency on alcohol by being unable to control the quantity of consumption regardless of frequency.

I do see your point, but I'm not so certain it is safe to say that it sounds like the OP just doesn't know how to drink. There is only one way to drink, and that is responsibly, and the OP has offered to us his inability to do so. When dealing with possible early stages of alcoholism I feel that it is better safe than sorry. Thus, I do agree with staying away from alcohol altogether.

I was once just like the OP and he is fortunate enough to recognize things that I wish I would have at his age. It took me ruining my education and career and almost losing my wife and children to finally see myself for what I was and get help.

May 5, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #54 of 84
Before and after my 1st marriage, I went thru this same thing. Then I had an alcoholic room mate (after getting a divorce). I didn't drink as often, nor as much as him, but I saw myself leading down the path to his lifestyle. It scared me straight. I rarely drink anymore, and when I do, it's never to the point of being intoxicated.

Seek help now, if you don't have the willpower to quit on your own.

May 5, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #55 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt go as far as to say I am an alcoholic. I don't drink every weekend, neither do I 'urge' for a drink. It is just the high amounts that I drink when I drink which bothers me.

If you don't get help now, it could ruin your life. If you think is a problem now, it could become every weekend, then every day. You do have a problem and it is good you recognize it; don't minimize it. My prayers are with you man. Good luck and God bless.

May 5, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #56 of 84
I will try to go for a alcohol free month. If the month will go well I will try to extend it as far as possible. If I am not able to go a month I will talk seriously with my friends and concider professional help. I will only limit myself to 5 drinks when the month is over, trying to make them last the entire evening/night instead of drinking them all in 1-2 hours. Now that I have given myself some mental concideration I have noticed that this problem arose when I moved from weak drinks (beer, cider, long drinks) to mixing with stronger ingredients. I think that one of the problems is that I am a fairly good mixer (I have taste what mixes well, and how to mask the taste of alcohol), and that later in the night the drinks get stronger and stronger.

May 5, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #58 of 84
Quote:

I will try to go for a alcohol free month. If the month will go well I will try to extend it as far as possible. If I am not able to go a month I will talk seriously with my friends and concider professional help. I will only limit myself to 5 drinks when the month is over, trying to make them last the entire evening/night instead of drinking them all in 1-2 hours. Now that I have given myself some mental concideration I have noticed that this problem arose when I moved from weak drinks (beer, cider, long drinks) to mixing with stronger ingredients. I think that one of the problems is that I am a fairly good mixer (I have taste what mixes well, and how to mask the taste of alcohol), and that later in the night the drinks get stronger and stronger.

Quote:

I probably drink a lot because of a mediocre self asteem. I don't have any problem with my family, or friends, I've had a good childhood and so on. I am not depressed (although probably a bit lonely). I am not stupid, so I've tried all obvious things. I am not shy but I do have some difficulty getting girls. I have bad self control (obviously).

Swear it off completely. Tell yourself you don't need liquor at all, remove its importance, its meaning from your life. You even admit that you're using it to remedy your self-esteem and personality issues. You need to deal with those or you'll always be dependent on alcohol. Just picture all the things you won't be giving up by quitting: your family, your friends, your future, yourself. You don't seem to be taking this as seriously as you should, and you truly have to.

May 5, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #59 of 84
Quote:

Sounds like a plan.

What I came to notice (as someone else pointed out, but maybe it flew over notice), is that it really is difficult to hang with drinkers if your not drinking, because what was somewhat fun and funny before really isn't, drunk folks are a bore, and a pain, really.

Best of luck with it
wink.gif

May 5, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #60 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a plan.

I agree. While I recognize that some people can have serious issues with alcohol, I dislike the tendency of some to insist that if you stumble at all with it you have a grave and irrevocable problem for life. While young and very stupid, a relative of mine got himself a DUI, and had to attend several AA meetings as a consequence. I accompanied him to one of the meetings as a show of support, and when he introduced himself he explained why he was there and that he didn't believe himself to be an alcoholic (as respectfully as he could, recognizing that most of the people there probably were). Everyone at the meeting insisted that he was. I explained why I was there, and they told me I was an alcoholic as well. I understand that the people there were trying to help him deal with the first step of admitting the problem's existence, but it's seven years later and he certainly isn't an alcoholic. He was just really stupid and reckless with alcohol at one time.

I think it's important for the OP to first determine whether a potentially lifelong problem exists before he decides that he will have a lifelong problem with alcohol. I do not mean to diminish the seriousness of the problem at hand, nor to ignore the potential for an even more serious problem down the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I came to notice (as someone else pointed out, but maybe it flew over notice), is that it really is difficult to hang with drinkers if your not drinking, because what was somewhat fun and funny before really isn't, drunk folks are a bore, and a pain, really.

Exactly. A good way to motivate yourself to stop drinking is to hang out with drunk people while sober.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back