Help me please to shoose good source/amp for my new Sony MDR-EX1000
Feb 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alexus

New Head-Fier
Dear members,

I've just ordered my new Sony MDR-EX1000 (my previous iems was Sennheiser CX980). I used to listen to music on my laptop Sony Vaio or iPhone 4s or Nokia Lumia 800. But, after reading alot of threads here I found out that it's better to buy music player like Sana Clip+ and rockbox it.

So, could anyone tell me, if this player (Sansa Clip+) is good enough for Sony ex1000 (and better than iPhone 4S/Lumia 800/Vaio laptop), or is there something better? And do I need any amp for this iems?

Thanks in advance!

PS as for music, I like classical music, vocal trance, chillout, opera, folk...

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 7
Ok, let me ask again, but slightly differently. Here is my question:

- Will Sony EX1000 plays on Sansa Clip+ noticeably better with amp or not? Will the amp improves the sound? Is there any sense to buy an amp like Lehmannaudio Rhinelander or it's just a waste of money?

I understand the role of amp as for Sennheiser HD800, or Beyerdynamic T1 etc. But what about iems (sony ex1000)?

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 7
The EX1000 will improve greatly in term of soundquality with quality AMPs help if use with iPhone 4s and laptop, the Clip+ won't sound any better with or without AMPs. Because it has no lineout like iPhone 4s do through line out dock connector and i will recommend to buy portable AMPs/DAC combo like Pico, XM6, D12, Fiio E17 and these canbe use with laptop (DAC /AMPs section) through USB and AMPs section with iPhone 4s(through line out dock cable) for better sound experience.

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
The EX1000 will improve greatly in term of soundquality with quality AMPs help if use with iPhone 4s and laptop, the Clip+ won't sound any better with or without AMPs. Because it has no lineout like iPhone 4s do through line out dock connector and i will recommend to buy portable AMPs/DAC combo like Pico, XM6, D12, Fiio E17 and these canbe use with laptop (DAC /AMPs section) through USB and AMPs section with iPhone 4s(through line out dock cable) for better sound experience.

Thanks for your advice! But, there is one thing I can't understand. I've read on this forum that iPhone doesn't pass "raw" signal to Fiio even through the LOD. iPhone processes signal using its own DAC. Is it true? If it is then how can Fiio improves sound quality?  

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 7
The lineout signals are different than USB digital signal because line out signal uses iPhone internal DAC but bypass the internal AMPs and allow users to use external AMPs though line out dock cable and cables other end has 3.5mm male jack to connect with AMPs and it will show more improvement in soundquality. The iPhone only allow to use USB digital signals out with external DAC/ AMPs like HP_P1, CLAS(laptop can't be use with these) for portable use. But others DAC/AMPs i recommended can use with iPhone(amps section only work not external dac like hp_p1, clas) and loptop too.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank you, Zarim! Now I think I understand better!

Well, I know what I'll do. I'll listen to music on iPhone + Sony EX1000 then I compare it with Sony Ex1000 + HD media tank (hi-res audio source) + Yamaha rx-v465. If there will be any difference then I will get FiiO or even hp-p1...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back