Help me pick an integrated amp please!
Jun 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

drewjp

100+ Head-Fier
I am ready to upgrade from my Marantz receiver to a dedicated stereo setup.

I am going to use it to power a pair of homebuilt Fountek RM6K bookshelf speakers with 6.5'' aluminum woofer and ribbon tweeter.

I favor a warmer, tube-like sound over a more analytical system.

My budget is $600-700

My list so far:
-Denon DRA-CX3  $579
-Marantz PM5004   $449
-Marantz PM8003  $650
-Onkyo A-5VL  $399
-Onkyo A-9555  $399
-Cambridge 550A  $549
-Cambridge 350A  $449
-Pacific Valve BADA DC-222 Hybrid Tube $679

Any comments? Other suggestions?

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 20
IMO stay away from Onkyo and Denon if you want tube like sound. Other than that, your list looks good. I'll add the Jolida 1501 RC hybrid integrated can be had for around $525 on the used market. If you're willing to spend more like $1100+, you can get a killer tube integrated such as the Manley Stingray.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 20
I have an Audiospace mini I'm thinking of selling thats in your price range,  I'm pretty sure will destroy everything up there in terms of sound quality and it also has a killer headphone output on the back, send me a pm if your interested

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
IMO stay away from Onkyo and Denon if you want tube like sound. Other than that, your list looks good. I'll add the Jolida 1501 RC hybrid integrated can be had for around $525 on the used market. If you're willing to spend more like $1100+, you can get a killer tube integrated such as the Manley Stingray.

I second the Jolida suggestion.  I picked up my JD-1501 for $400+ship on the 'gon a few months ago.  If I had the choice between keeping it or my CA 650A, I'd take the Jolida every time.  I've run mine with Tung Sol reissue and Sovtek tubes and found both to be quite nice, with the Sovteks being a bit more transparent and detailed.

--Matt

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 20
I like everything about the Denon, and since they are discontinuing it, it's over half off right now.

Hmmm....but I would like tubes. The Audio Space seems to have a great headphone amp built-in, too.

Too many choices. Wish they all offered in-home trials...

I've also been eye-ing the Outlaw RR2150...but from what I've read the USB DAC it has is only mediocre.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 20
i was in a similar situation a a little while back, I went with tubes and I couldnt be happier I love how realistic they can make music sound. I wish I would have looked for  one that  had a built-in headphone amp though I had to buy a separate one and its a pain to switch back and forth .

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 20
There are so many choices....I need to find ways to audition them before I drop the cash.

I also forgot about Emotiva! It appears that the combo of their preamp + 2-channel amp might be a giant killer. Plus a built-in headphone amp...hmmm.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
There are so many choices....I need to find ways to audition them before I drop the cash.

I also forgot about Emotiva! It appears that the combo of their preamp + 2-channel amp might be a giant killer. Plus a built-in headphone amp...hmmm.

I own an Emotiva amp so I know their sound. In all honesty I can't wait till I can afford something better. Good bargains for what they are, but component matching is very important with their stuff. They are a touch on the cold side of neutral, can be a little strident in the upper midrange, and extremely revealing. They will easily reveal the weak links in your system, especially cables.

I can imagine an Emotiva amp and pre would be very fatiguing if just thrown into a system without thoughtful matching. IMO they are the antithesis of what you're looking for. Prior to Emotiva, I owned a B&K receiver. When I switched to the Emotiva amp, I gained detail and transparency in spades but I also lost the musical involvement and warmth of the B&K. Needless to say I hardly ever listen to music with the current system. Where as with the B&K, I would often listen for hours on end. Just food for thought.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
I own an Emotiva amp so I know their sound. In all honesty I can't wait till I can afford something better. Good bargains for what they are, but component matching is very important with their stuff. They are a touch on the cold side of neutral, can be a little strident in the upper midrange, and extremely revealing. They will easily reveal the weak links in your system, especially cables.

I can imagine an Emotiva amp and pre would be very fatiguing if just thrown into a system without thoughtful matching. IMO they are the antithesis of what you're looking for. Prior to Emotiva, I owned a B&K receiver. When I switched to the Emotiva amp, I gained detail and transparency in spades but I also lost the musical involvement and warmth of the B&K. Needless to say I hardly ever listen to music with the current system. Where as with the B&K, I would often listen for hours on end. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the input! I was definitely close to pulling the trigger on Emotiva, too. 

The Harman/kardon stereo receivers also seem to have the sound sig I'm looking for, and they are definitely affordable. I cannot find any pics where someone took the top off, though. I'd like to see the insides.

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 20
I have owned an HK surround receiver prior to the B&K. They have a good amount of weight to them since they use a large transformer. Fairly similar in sound to the B&K, although the HK was a bit warmer sounding and the built in dac wasn't bad at all for a receiver. They are high current, so don't let the wattage ratings fool you.

I remember the HK I had was rated at 45 watts rms or so and the B&K was rated at 150 watts rms. The HK definitely had a bit more grunt than the B&K. I would have kept the HK at the time but it had reliability issues. I'm not sure if those issues have been ironed out now. But if they have, I would highly recommend it. Sometimes I still think about chucking the separates and going back with an HK receiver because the sound was that satisfying.

Jun 27, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 20
Thanks for all the help, guys!

I ended up getting the Jolida 302B (used) for $450....I cannot wait to hear it!

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #14 of 20
I will definitely post my impressions. I hope the guy I bought it from replaced the tubes (wishful thinking). Good tubes can be so pricey nowadays!

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 20
If you do need to get new tubes I would make sure theyre matched or else the stereo image might be off. I just remembered that i heard one of those audiospace amps at a hi-fi store one time, theyre pretty nice i liked the one I heard better than a cayin amp that was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back