Help me pick an IEM : CK100 or IE8?
Oct 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bokyung

1000+ Head-Fier
I know IE8 and CK100 have completely different strengths and weaknesses, but I absolutely love both (I tested both for a week or so). At the moment, my IEM is hje900, (and I found that it was more closer to IE8 than CK100).

Anyhow, is IE8 a good investment it if I have HJE900? Or should I go for CK100? I also tested SM3, but (oh noes, don't kill me) I didn't like it.

I absolutely love both... and I am having pretty hard time deciding...

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 17
If you already have those Panasonics, I wouldn't bother with the IE8 if I were you.
The CK100 are completely different, thus worth the (financial) effort, moreso if you tested them and liked them.
Strange that you did not like the SM3 but liked the CK100: I still have the IE8 but I almost cannot listen to them anymore, they do not get much eartime, it's all between my RE-252 and my SM3.

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 17
I upgraded my HJE-900 for IE8 and I must say they're well worth the upgrade. The IE sound much better and the fit, at least for me is phenomenal. Also I like the fact that Senn's have replaceable cable.

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 17

My opinion, two points, have you burned them in for at least twenty hours and second, what are you hooking them up to?

???

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 17
It really depends on what you want in your upgrade. Do you want something with a similar sound signature in the IE8 or do you want something completely different.

If I was in your situation I'd probably pick the CK100 to have different signatures assuming you are keeping them both that is.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:

My opinion, two points, have you burned them in for at least twenty hours and second, what are you hooking them up to?

???

Yep, I've burned around 30 hours or so.

As for my sources I am using J3, X-1000 series and rockboxed Clip+. No amps yet…
frown.gif
  Not going to lie, CK100 sounds weird on my Clip+, but at the same time… I've grown to that "cold" sound… am I the only one who thinks its lil cold? :S

Quote:
It really depends on what you want in your upgrade. Do you want something with a similar sound signature in the IE8 or do you want something completely different.

If I was in your situation I'd probably pick the CK100 to have different signatures assuming you are keeping them both that is.

Thanks for the input, and yes I am going to keep hje900, such a lovely unpolished gem. Sometimes too harsh or bright, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

Quote:
If you already have those Panasonics, I wouldn't bother with the IE8 if I were you.
The CK100 are completely different, thus worth the (financial) effort, moreso if you tested them and liked them.
Strange that you did not like the SM3 but liked the CK100: I still have the IE8 but I almost cannot listen to them anymore, they do not get much eartime, it's all between my RE-252 and my SM3.

Haha weird isn't  it. I was expecting to love SM3, I forced myself to listen to SM3 around 4 more days than IE8/CK100, and still didn't enjoy it. Friend wasn't too pleased... since he didn't get to listen to his favourite iem for 11-12 days… hahaha.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
I know IE8 and CK100 have completely different strengths and weaknesses, but I absolutely love both (I tested both for a week or so). At the moment, my IEM is hje900, (and I found that it was more closer to IE8 than CK100).

Anyhow, is IE8 a good investment it if I have HJE900? Or should I go for CK100? I also tested SM3, but (oh noes, don't kill me) I didn't like it.

I personally enjoyed the CK100 more than the IE8, but I think the average listener would enjoy more the latter. If you want more views on these 3 IEMs and a couple more, you might want to read this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511135/ck100-um3x-se535-sm3-ie8-a-journey

Quote:

Nothing strange about that. I've stated several times that I much prefer the CK100 (and IE8 AND other IEMs) over the SM3s. There are others who have also not been impressed by the SM3.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 17
but at the same time… I've grown to that "cold" sound… am I the only one who thinks its lil cold? :S

The good news, after ten minutes or so, your brain burns-in and you stop caring about what's happening to your ears unless truly defective sound is being presented.  The point, after a few minutes you stop caring about sound quality and start rocking to the tunes that got you there in the first place.

Best rendition of "Georgia" I experienced was at the end of a pier, during a gray windy fall afternoon, half blasted on CC & 7.

The band sucked and the singer was even worse, but the CC & 7 made sure I didn't notice and I thoroughly enjoyed everybody's effort.
beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
As for my sources I am using J3, X-1000 series and rockboxed Clip+. No amps yet…
frown.gif
  Not going to lie, CK100 sounds weird on my Clip+, but at the same time… I've grown to that "cold" sound… am I the only one who thinks its lil cold? :S

It is not weird at all. I had the CK100 on audition a while back and I found that sansa dap's have horrible synergy with them. Your X1000 would go very well with them I'd imagine. The CK100 imo is very picky with sources and give it a warm source and it will do quite nicely. I didn't have my J3 then and I don't think the J3 existed yet either but I'd imagine they would be better than the sansa and you can tweak the sound a bit as well.

Since you are keeping both I'd pick a pair of the CK100 and enjoy it's wonderful sound to go along with the best build quality I've had in an earphone.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 17
It all comes down to personal preference.  Both the IE8 and CK100 are vastly different sounding.  As well, you can't think about the IE8 being too like the HJE900.  Likely if it is a lot like the HJE900 and better, then it will simply replace the HJE900.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
It all comes down to personal preference.  Both the IE8 and CK100 are vastly different sounding.  As well, you can't think about the IE8 being too like the HJE900.  Likely if it is a lot like the HJE900 and better, then it will simply replace the HJE900.

Good point.

Seems like that the overwhelming bass from IE8 drowns out some details, it could be my ears acting funny though. But it's still fun to listen to.

Call me weird, but I think hje900's better... idk how to explain it.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 17
...overwhelming bass from IE8...

???

Do consider an amp.  Today I hooked the FiiO E-7 up to the IE8's and it made a "huge" difference in the highs, opened the sound up and smoothed the edges of both the bass and treble response.

Since I'm running an ASUS STX sound card and have the on board sound card disabled at the BIOS, I'm not able to use (take benefit of) the FiiO's DAC so I can't give you any insight there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back