Help me pick an entry level IEM
Jul 23, 2008 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

b-dizzle

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs for somewhere between $50-100. Here are the specifics on what I'm looking for:
  1. Good isolation- for travel
  2. Clean/clear sound with bass that is punchy but not thumpy or overpowering. I listen to a lot of alt/indie rock/electronica and like piano and strings-heavy music as well, and have a pair of Senn PX100s that I like, if that helps. I use a brown Zune 30GB.
  3. No amp required- I may end up getting one eventually, but not right now.
  4. Comfortable and durable

So if you could drop a vote, a testimonial, or a new suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. You guys are the pros.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 17
I voted for the ALs but the UE3s are jsut as good. The AL 716s supposedly require amping but I don't know. I just know the 616s are outstanding and my new number ones in my signature. I bought some 716s but haven't received them yet. I do know the official accuracy rating is 84% for the 616s and 90% for the 716s.

The ALs or the UE3s, you can't go wrong with either one.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm going to back up on my statement and say you can't really go wrong with any of those you have listed. The Custom 1s, as long as the OEM silicones are working, otherwise using foams, preferably Shure black olives, will solve the comfort issue somne people may experience for long duration listening.

The Denons, I know nothing about but have read a lot of good things about them, especially the 751s.

The Etys, they are excellent phones if you use foams.

All of these, with the exception of the Denons because I don't know them, are outstanding canalphones and will please just about anyone willing to give them some time. The difference in sound quality between them is so minor, in my opinion, that it isn't worth noting on these lower priced sets. Get up into the price range of the Shure 530s and, you bet ya, they had better be perfect.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good fortune to you and your choice.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely go for the Head-Direct RE2s, if those are out of your price range take the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studios they are good for the price.

What this guy said.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 17
OK I think I'm between the iM716s and the UE Super.fi 3s. A few questions on the you guys might have answers to- are the iM716s well built/durable? What types of tips outside the ones provided by the manufacturer fit on the UEs and what types on the iM716s? Can you use Ety filters with the iM716s?

Also, anyone heard the UE metro.fi 200s? Those are also in my price range...

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 17
I might be able to answer a few there. The nozzles of the 616/716 are slightly (very slightly) larger than the Etys and Klipsch and such, but I still tried to put some olives on them and found them to go on so tightly that they would not even twist once on. Actually, they would twist but I felt to try that hard to twist them might break the AL's nozzles, might twist the nozzles right off. However, no damage came to them and I was able to pry the olives off. I would say they are very durable.

Generally, for the 716/616, you should be able to use any Etymotic sleeve or any sleeve of that size class.

The UE3s are about the same size as the Sennheisers and most other common canalphones from JVC, V-Moda, JBL, Skullcandy and such and will work with sleeves of that size class. The UE3s are the more convenient of the lot because of their nozzle size.

I can't tell you about the Ety filters other than to say they are different from the AL filters. However, Etymotic make the ALs and here's a link to the parts page for replacement supplies:

Etymotic Research, Inc. - Altec Lansing im616 and im716 Accessories

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 17
I've been in this situation and i have advice that will prove invaluable to you - you'll thank me later
smily_headphones1.gif

if you want good earphones.. go big initially.. dont scrimp now.. once u like the earphones.. ull buy the better ones later anyway..
smily_headphones1.gif
.. i did exactly the same thing..

i recommend jvc victor fx500... they are excellent for ALL types of music.. and are super comfortable.. try them.. and see the diff..

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 17
I have been consistently impressed with my super.fi 3s and would reccomened them. You can get them on buy.com really cheap if you are willing to take red. im716 are decent too but their "pod" makes them tougher to power.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but as my PX100s just died
frown.gif
, I'm looking at the more 100-170 range now, and the new Super.fi 5s as well as the UM1s are tempting me... I know the UM1s are the kings of comfort, durability, and mids- can the Super.fis compete with them in these categories? What are the other major differences between these two? Any other IEMs in this range I should check out?

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 17
Super.fis can't compete for comfort and durability. Mids on the UM1 beat the SF3, but the SF5P beat the UM1 (at the cost of all other non-SQ atributes).

Look into ER-4Ps in that price range as well. Also look to buy used, as it'll save you money.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did your PX100s die?

Cable broke/frayed at the bottom, by the plug, so I only get sound in one ear. I think it happened when I fell asleep wearing them, and just from general use. Can I fix this, DIY style? It seems, looking at the Sennheiser website, that despite warranty (which may be up by now anyway, haven't checked), I'd still have to pay like $30 to get them fixed- so I think I'd rather save that 30 towards some all-purpose IEMs.

I wish I could afford the Sleeks, but I'm leaning toward the New Super.fi 5s for $140 on Amazon... maybe I'll just get through another month or two with these things and get the Sleeks for my birthday- though if the SFs sound almost as good, I hate to pay an additional $60 just for a replaceable cable, tunable sound, and biflanges I'm not sure I'll like. Thoughts?

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 17
As you might have read, I have both the SF5s (new version) and the SA6s, and you aren't paying additional money for the replaceable cable, flanges and tunable sound - you'll be paying additional money for better sound. I know jant21 and EdWood might not agree, but others do.

Don't get me wrong, I like the SF5s (see the latest post on that thread, where I used some odd single silicone tips to improve the SF5 sound). And I am going to keep them. But to my ears, they are not a match for the Sleeks on balance. If the $150 budget is your end point, by all means, get the SF5s. But if you can scrape up the extra cash, the Sleeks are the way to go.

Also, the UE's only have a one-year warranty, while the Sleeks have a two-year warranty. Plus, it's nice to pay $12 to replace your cable, rather than $150 for another set of phones should your UE cables fail outside the warranty. Oh, and the Sleeks are going to be wireless soon, with an add-on option. That may not matter, but I thought I'd note it.

I am not a fan of the UM1s, for various reasons, mainly what I felt was a very muddy sound sig. FOr me, either the UEs or the Sleeks crush the UM1s on SQ. Comfort, sure the UM1s feel very good in your ears, but neither of the other phones are painful, annoying, etc. And both can be worn over the ear. First and foremost is getting the right seal.

Just a few things to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back