Help me pick an Amp and DAC (under $1000) for demanding headphones
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chrisyak

New Head-Fier
Help me pick an Amp and DAC (under $1000) for demanding headphones

I'm new to the audiophile scene but jumped in with some serious headphones: Sennheiser 802S, HIFIMAN Arya Stealth, and Focal Clear. I'm after a desktop amp/DAC setup (separate components) for my home office where I spend hours listening daily.

My Sound Preferences:

• Clarity, detail, soundstage, warm bass (without muddying things up)
  • Music: 90s alt, rock from various decades, Top 40, some rap/hip-hop, occasional classical
  • Not into tweaking EQs
What I Want:

• Power to drive my headphones well, especially at higher volumes
  • Modern tech, easy connectivity (RCA, USB, XLR, Bluetooth, etc.)
  • Simple operation – plug-and-play, minimal fuss
  • US-based manufacturer with good support is a bonus
  • Under $1000 USD, open to buying used for better value
Initial Thoughts:

• Leaning against a basic Schiit stack – seems too plain
  • Like their look, unsure about higher-end Schiit options (service, QC?)
  • Considering JDS, Topping, iFi, etc., but overwhelmed by choices
Help me narrow down my search! What are your top 3 suggestions based on my needs/preferences?

Thanks in advance, excited to explore this new world!

P.S. Edited my post because it was too long before.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Whatever you decide on, make sure it has at least 3.5, 1/4, and XLR out. 4.4 is a bonus.

On a budget, I still like a used THX789 plus DAC of your choice. The 789 can now be had used for about $100, maybe a little more. It's neutral neutral, some might say a little sterile. But its versatility make it an easy choice... enough power to run the HE6SE v2, quiet enough to drive iems.

Budget in cables and something like a used Grace sdac balanced and you can do this setup for under $300.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 11
Whatever you decide on, make sure it has at least 3.5, 1/4, and XLR out. 4.4 is a bonus.

On a budget, I still like a used THX789 plus DAC of your choice. The 789 can now be had used for about $100, maybe a little more. It's neutral neutral, some might say a little sterile. But its versatility make it an easy choice... enough power to run the HE6SE v2, quiet enough to drive iems.

Budget in cables and something like a used Grace sdac balanced and you can do this setup for under $300.

After thinking it over, I thought maybe I should just bite the bullet at first rather than regret it later. I think $1,000 will get me into a nice amp and DAC that has enough headroom for me to grow and will be able to power any headphone I throw at it. Like I said, I do want it to be fully decked out with the latest hardware and your suggestion of all the different headphone jacks is always a smart thing to do as I plan to expand my headphone collection. I already have a plan for my next set.

I think the one thing I need to stress is that even though I'm up in my budget, I don't want to increase the complexity. I own a smartphone and tech news website and my staff is always dealing with very latest and greatest technical consumer products and all kinds of bells and whistles on these devices and it gets hard to keep up with when you have so many of them around. Sometimes the last thing I really want in my life is more complicated devices. I know that sounds weird and I am a very lucky person to be able to play with a lot of great technology toys, well my staff does. Does. Am mostly just on the business side of things. But to make a long story short, I want to keep it simple if that makes sense. Give me lots of hookups. Give me lots of power under the hood and a couple of knobs and I'll be happy.

I like the looks of the Schiit stack and most of their equipment, it's got that real simple look. I may end up back with them at the end of day from convincing myself to go back to those products for looks and simplicity of their products.I know they got something new coming also.No details tho.

I like this Topping DX9 is pricey, seen Z Reviews cover it, is nice!

Attachments

• apos-audio-topping-headphone-dac-amp-topping-dx9-dac-amp-39285866758380_1600x.jpg
    apos-audio-topping-headphone-dac-amp-topping-dx9-dac-amp-39285866758380_1600x.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
  • apos-audio-topping-headphone-dac-amp-topping-dx9-dac-amp-39285867020524_1600x.jpg
    apos-audio-topping-headphone-dac-amp-topping-dx9-dac-amp-39285867020524_1600x.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 11
Which headphones do you currently own?

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 11
I use a Topping A30pro and D10b DAC and sound is flawless and it's simplicity itself with no remotes, Bluetooth, just connect and go. Also the same power on all connectors, so don't need the expense of balanced cables.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #6 of 11
Which headphones do you currently own?

Sennheiser HD800S | HIFIMAN Arya Stealth | Focal Clear | iFI-Audio xDSD Gryphon | Drop+ Sennheiser PX 38 | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xSTS-USB

I have been offered a pair of Sony Z1R's for $750 new in the box and those were expensive when they came out and around $1500-$1700 retail today. I am on the fence about them but it might be worth it. He has a few a few more.maybe I can get them cheaper and resell them......hmmmmm

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 11
Anyone with ideas for Amp and DAC that would be in my price range, new or used.

Has 3.5, 1/4, and XLR out. 4.4

These are my options so far I have looked at

Schiit Modi Multibit 2 & Jotunheim 2

Or

Topping A90 & D90/ or TOPPING DX9 DAC/Amp

USB connections

Good DAC processors.

What's your hot takes on pics and what would be yours?

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 11
I've just picked up the Modius instead of the Multibit to go with a Jotenheim 2 and a Lokius - all three balanced. Not sure that matters much (esp. as Lokius is single-ended internally) but I'm sure the Jotenheim 2 is a solid choice and will drive balanced headphones.

Jotunheim 2's a pretty neutral amp, especially compared to the tube amp I had been using, with enough to power to drive everything I've thrown at it, including a set of planars that clip awfully without an amp.

Right now I'm very pleased with the Schitt gear, but it's still new and shiny.

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 11
I've just picked up the Modius instead of the Multibit to go with a Jotenheim 2 and a Lokius - all three balanced. Not sure that matters much (esp. as Lokius is single-ended internally) but I'm sure the Jotenheim 2 is a solid choice and will drive balanced headphones.

Jotunheim 2's a pretty neutral amp, especially compared to the tube amp I had been using, with enough to power to drive everything I've thrown at it, including a set of planars that clip awfully without an amp.

Right now I'm very pleased with the Schitt gear, but it's still new and shiny.

I ended up picking up a Topping DX7 Pro+ on eBay today for $280 so this is going to hold me over for a bit.It has good build quality and feature set it gives me good options for the price.

Finding the right AMP / DAC is harder than picking headphones. I was very interested in the Topping DX9 but production is limited and price is $1200, so that is not happening for a while.

The Topping DX7 Pro+ should work for me but I am concerned about the amp powering some of the super hard headphones to power but it should be good for 90% of all headphones on high gain. Maybe some of the

As you can see I do like a more clean clear natural neutral sound so the next choice seems like a no brainer.

So the Multibit to go with a Jotenheim 2 are still on my list also and should sound the same naturally and neutral and unmolested sound.Those will probably be the next system upgrade well it may be more lateral then upgrade.

I probably will be open to the Topping DX9 or wait and see what the next D90 or A90 replacements have to offer also.

I do wish their was more top end to the amp and maybe people could give me a idea on how to add some more power? These will struggle with top end headphones, it won't distort just it reaches it's limit and won't go farther.

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 11
Sennheiser HD800S | HIFIMAN Arya Stealth | Focal Clear | iFI-Audio xDSD Gryphon | Drop+ Sennheiser PX 38 | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xSTS-USB

I have been offered a pair of Sony Z1R's for $750 new in the box and those were expensive when they came out and around $1500-$1700 retail today. I am on the fence about them but it might be worth it. He has a few a few more.maybe I can get them cheaper and resell them......hmmmmm
Who is selling these that cheap?.
Link?

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 11
Who is selling these that cheap?.
Link?
The DX7 Pro was a one off buy not a regular price, been watching prices like a hawk for all kinds of stuff 🤓

The Sony MDR-ZR1 I ended up getting for $605! plus tax from a store in New York. That was pure luck! Or should eBay 20 years Guru! ...lol 🫅🕺🏆

The price was really high and I just decided What throw a lower bid as these are a very subjective headphones and doubt many people bought at the MSRP. I was like OMG when I got the email saying my offer was accepted. 💪🤙

I did try and get the others for same price to sell but he would counter at $800 when I offered $600 again. So weird but I did not want to be greedy or have the time to listen and sell them.

Anyways, here is link for anyone who is interested, Good luck and hope you get them. You may need need to make a few offers to hit the jackpot, I suggest coming in lower with calculated bids with the knowledge that the $800 ish price is probably as low as he will go. Start at 600,700 and then 750 he should counter to that $800ish price he has given me. I can't guarantee this but a very good chance.

EBay Sony MDR-ZR1 Listing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302-033543.png
    Screenshot_20240302-033543.png
    419.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240302-033359.png
    Screenshot_20240302-033359.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back