Help me pick a volume control for my Beta22
Dec 13, 2009 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

musicmaker

1000+ Head-Fier
Please help me pick a volume control for the B22 I'm getting built.

Which one of these should I go with ?

ALPS RK40
OR
DACT CT-2

I can't decide. I know the pot will give me better volume control (between steps), but I also know that the DACT stepped offers better channel matching.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 14
I am putting together a list for my build and I also had the question. As for the Goldpoint it is hard for me to spend $150 for a pot. I have used many ALPS and like them and have had no problem yet.

I also like the Dact CT-2 though

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 14
I think the TKD 2CP-2508 is also worth mention, and 2nd on the Goldpoint.

Just curious, but where are you getting an audio taper rk40?

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 14
From where are you sourcing an RK40?

I think that I am going with the higher end TKD in my upcoming beta. It is supposed to be very nice.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 14
My builder has a RK40 that he got sometime ago.

Koyaan, I just looked at the Goldpoint. Its about $155 shipped and looks interesting indeed.

I can get a DACT CT-2 for about $140

Right now its between the RK40, DACT CT-2 or the goldpoint Mini-V

Further opinions would be welcome.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadAmp Audio Electronics (Order)

[size=x-large]$129[/size]

+$6 shipping = $135
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm gravitating toward the DACT at this point. I think its going to have better channel balance. The trade off will be lack of fine grained volume control a pot like RK40 will provide.

Decisions !

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koyaan, I just looked at the Goldpoint. Its about $155 shipped and looks interesting indeed.

I can get a DACT CT-2 for about $140

Reason I asked is because I recently received a DACT CT-2 for a build I'm doing for someone and I didn't like the feel of it at all.

The switch positions were rather indistinct compared to the Goldpoint and Elma units I've used before. It's as if the detent spring is too light. With the Goldpoints and Elmas, there's a nice distinct, tactile "click" at each switch position. It's still very light, and not anywhere near as clunky as with the stock detent springs. But it's still nice and distinct.

Though to be fair, I haven't used any four gang Goldpoints or Elmas, so it's possible that the two extra gangs are responsible for this, but it doesn't seem so.

I also don't like that DACT assumes PC board mounting and sticks you with the 0.025" square pin headers. If you're going to PC mount them, that's great. If not, they're a pain in the ass.
atsmile.gif

se

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going to PC mount them, that's great. If not, they're a pain in the ass

that's why they sell a fancy audiophile (ahem.. lazy) cable for it!

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's why they sell a fancy audiophile (ahem.. lazy) cable for it!

Hehehe.

I'd rather go the other way around. Solder the wires to the DACT and use the header on the PC board.

Or just say to hell with it. You only live once so why not go with the mother of all attenuators?

2P65-1.jpg

2P65-2.jpg

atsmile.gif

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back