Help me out of a pickle (DAC, amp related)
Dec 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
A more common and tested option would be the Nuforce Icon 2.  It's a DAC, headphone amp, and can power smaller passive speakers, for 319£ on Amazon. The nominal output power of the Icon 2 is 24 Watts per channel @4 ohm, which should work considering Wharfedale says suitable amplifier power for your speakers is 20-100W (source), and their nominal impedance is 6 ohm. Do note that I don't have real life experience of the products in question, I'm just reading specs.

I have an Icon 2 at work - The DAC and headphone amp in it are very nice and IMHO worth the price.  I tried the amplifier with some less than efficient bookshelf speakers, and predictably wasn't impressed.  Good clarity, good imaging, but no impact.   I tried the NuForce speakers as well, since they were on sale for very cheap:  You really want to pass on those - TANSTAAFL applies in spades for those.   A friend had a 2.1 system from Orb Audio - (89db efficiency) - so I brought the Icon 2 over there for grins:  This combination *Works*.    Not saying you should buy a set of Orbs, but as long as your Warfdales are fairly efficient you should be fine for nearfield listening.

*Edit* - Just checked on your 10.1's - The published stats I found said 86db\w for efficiency.  Math says fhe full 24 watts should get you a max of 102 decibels at 1 meter {i.e. 'Sitting At Your Desk'}  Call it 105 if you have your Wharfies near the wall.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:
The Teac also has more output power - should be good for another 3 dB.
Do I even want to ask what "TANSTAAFL" means?

It means "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back