Help me on my second cans, purely for jazz
Nov 27, 2006 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

zsevgymko

Head-Fier
I've managed to keep away from this forum for 3-4 months and that is something!
smily_headphones1.gif
The reason was that I was enjoying my new simple setup : Flac -> Foobar -> Revo 5.1 -> K81dj . Still happy with it for pop and rock, but for jazz I want more.
My budget is around 200$. These cans should handle with grace acoustic jazz only, small combos only, piano being the main instrument. To oversimplify it, think Keith Jarret, solo concerts, trio and quartets. After a lot of reading I've come to a few options :
- HD580 (new)
- HD600 (used)
- K601 (used)
- MS2 (used)
Here comes the tough part, cause I really can't decide between these, I can't audition any of them. Cans I've discarded during my reading are DT880 (2003), HD595, A900 and SR225. DT800 are the most tempting of these headphones as they are possibly too cheap right now,but as I've read they are not very competent with jazz and piano. HD595 and A900 doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for right now. As for SR225, I can't force myself to buy Grado headphones without auditioning.
I know that in my current setup the models I've selected would be an overkill, but I intend do buy a decent amp next year. Still I hope that even now I'll find the new cans at least a little better than my k81dj, otherwise I'll be in great pain till I buy an amp
frown.gif
Anyway, which do you think is my best option? If you have two or more of the headphones in my list, which one do you prefer for acoustic jazz, for piano?

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 19
I haven't heard the MS2s, but the Senn 600s used would be my choice. They do piano like no other headphone, and their sound signature is perfect for jazz.

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 19
I listen almost exclusively to acoustic jazz and have chosen the HD600s for this purpose and have been happy with them. YMMV

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 19
Jazz is great on MS2i! I haven't got my HD600 yet....so I can't comment til later!!

The MS2i is wonderfull for rock through jazz and into light classical.

I understand that HD600 is equally wonderfull for classical through jazz and into uh, "light" rock!(?) but which is "best" for Jazz? Dunno yet!!
rolleyes.gif

Anxious to find out!!
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 19
Definitely look into the K501s, especially if you can still snag a pair for a measly $100!

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 19
First, thanks everybody for your opinions. Keep them coming, as I need a little push in some direction to make my final decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely look into the K501s, especially if you can still snag a pair for a measly $100!

A lot of recommendings for K501, but isn't it's sound signature a little distant, even a lot, with really great soundstage and perfect for a large orchestra? I'm not sure I would want that with a solo piano recording.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtevol1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone recommend the AKG 701 over the Sennheiser HD600 or vice versa?

Well I guesss robm321 is recommending his HD600 over his K701 for piano.
Anyone compared MS2 and HD600/HD580 for this kind of music?

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by zsevgymko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, thanks everybody for your opinions. Keep them coming, as I need a little push in some direction to make my final decision
smily_headphones1.gif

A lot of recommendings for K501, but isn't it's sound signature a little distant, even a lot, with really great soundstage and perfect for a large orchestra? I'm not sure I would want that with a solo piano recording.

Well I guesss robm321 is recommending his HD600 over his K701 for piano.
Anyone compared MS2 and HD600/HD580 for this kind of music?

I don't have my HD600 to do a comparison with my MS2i as yet, but if what you are looking for is a more intimate rendition of smaller groups where a piano can be more up front, then the MS2i does a good job of that!

The MS2i seems to put the listener either right in the middle of the groups during recording sessions, or right there with them on stage.

......kinda reminds me of a little piano bar I used to frequent back in the 60s!!
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have my HD600 to do a comparison with my MS2i as yet, but if what you are looking for is a more intimate rendition of smaller groups where a piano can be more up front, then the MS2i does a good job of that!

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'll dash out AKG for now, be it K501 or K601, and I'm left with HD580/HD600 and MS2. I am slightly leaning towards the Sennheiser models. When did you say you are going to receive your HD600?
600smile.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 19
It may be worth you considering the cans in context of your sound reproduction chain now and in the future to help you choose between cans. This may be as important as the can itself.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuterium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may be worth you considering the cans in context of your sound reproduction chain now and in the future to help you choose between cans. This may be as important as the can itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS2i would be really good and relatively very easy to drive, which is a nice bonus since you don't have an amp yet....

Thank you both for the good advices, and thanks everybody else. I understand that HD600, compared to MS2, will probably bring much more pressure to the amplification and sources I use, and as a whole to my wallet. Still I'm willing to try the Sennheisers. I consider myself warned
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back