Help me name my new amp. [Balanced Peter McAlister Design]
Oct 19, 2006 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so I've been waiting for this amp for some time now and just realized that it is going to be done the weekend after this one and I have no name... I am sure Peter has some ideas, but I thought up a bunch of my own while IM'ing with my friend Renato [looser101] on the bus ride home today and figured you guys might have some ideas or an opinion to share.

I'll put all our the ideas that I've thought up [some are Renato's] so far in the poll, but if you have your own suggestion post it in the thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

I explained the amp in a reply to 909 today and will link it rather than typing much the same thing twice.
wink.gif

LINK

This is a custom job that is made to push my K340's as far as they will go, though it should be able to drive any headphone.

You can choose all the ones you like, I have not limited it to one choice.

PLX and PLB come from his current naming scheme for dynamic amps. You can see the PL10 listed on his website and he has a PL12 model that he has not listed yet.

The PX names are derived from PhilodoX.
wink.gif

MARK I was Renato's idea, as was spelling out Balanced. [though he had it in CAPS]

Not sure what SST means, 909 suggested that one.

A340 = Amplifier for K340
340smile.gif

BFA... figure that one out on your own
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
How about PL340? If it's in the same "series" it should keep the PL moniker, if you ask me.

So... where's the pics?
340smile.gif

Got to agree with this point.

So how about the "PL340 - The BFA!"
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 48
I liked audio-dox, audio-box play on words and intertwining the tail end of your name.

SST

The “SS” stands for the solid-state rectifier and the “T” is for those 9 tubes.

And the "1" because I believed this to be a custom build and exclusive only to you.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 48
Well, he has given me the go-ahead to name it what I will as this is a one off custom design.

Hmmm... I'm sort of leaning towards A340 or BFA.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 48
So I think the A340 represents the K340s, but what does BFA mean? I can think of some stuff but the first thing that comes to mind isn't very nice.

Please do tell...
confused.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
So I think the A340 represents the K340s, but what does BFA mean? I can think of some stuff but the first thing that comes to mind isn't very nice.

Please do tell...
confused.gif

Hmmm....

How about Brilliantly Fulfilling Amplification?

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 48
i dunno, i feel that alpha numeric schemes are played out. give it a reg name, not just some letters and numbers.

look at eddie current:

zana deux vs hd30 whats more appealing?

how about single power:

ppx3 vs Maestro

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 48
coolshot - Good point. I'm a big fantasy/mythology fan too... maybe a fancy name would be better than an acronym.

tyrion - Funny, but I think that would wear off in time and I'd just feel like a dork.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Whatever the name, it needs to be "The Dirty Martini Edition".

lol, oh man... NO!
biggrin.gif

If anyone orders me one of those horrid things at the second National Meet, I'm gonna spit it in their faces. That's a promise.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Why couldn't I have just said, "I'd like a dry gin martini with extra olives." ???
frown.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909

Please do tell...

First, I really did like the sound of your name, but after hearing the explination, I don't know if I need two S's designating the solid state rectification on a tube amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for BFA... ever played any first person shooters? Think BFG.
evil_smiley.gif

That aside, I think we could add some additional meanings to it like... Balanced First Amplifier or something similar. Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Bumbaamp
Raistlinear
Pennywise

But seriously, I kind of like BFA A-340

hehe, I love my cats, but they belong in my avatar... not on my amp.
tongue.gif

BFA A-340 is too many A's for me. Maybe just BFA340 or BFA-340.
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back