help me make my HD650 bass monsters!
Aug 23, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #31 of 45
The 650s can deliver great lows, the bigger your amp, the better, I'd recommend a solid state amp. The 650s deliver outrageous bass extension if you go balanced - just a thought.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #32 of 45
I'm rocking my ah-d5000s at this very moment. Going from the denon's to the hd650 and vice versa is ..... discombobulating. Different tools for different jobs I suppose, I couldn't part with either.

I reached the same conclusion about electronic music and the hd650s. Dillinja's Cybotron being a great example of what Denon got right (don't markl them) and what the hd650 can never do justice. Open phones are good with anything by Venetian Snares for the confused looks you receive in public.

the 5687 based aikido does well with the hd650, very well from my experience.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650s can deliver great lows, the bigger your amp, the better, I'd recommend a solid state amp. The 650s deliver outrageous bass extension if you go balanced - just a thought.

So, balancing them will help to produce more bass...? the extra power maybe?
In fact i thought differently. everybody say that going balance is tightining the bass and make them more aggressive. I want the opposite of that, but now I don't know what to think.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jUmB0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm rocking my ah-d5000s at this very moment. Going from the denon's to the hd650 and vice versa is ..... discombobulating. Different tools for different jobs I suppose, I couldn't part with either.

I reached the same conclusion about electronic music and the hd650s. Dillinja's Cybotron being a great example of what Denon got right (don't markl them) and what the hd650 can never do justice. Open phones are good with anything by Venetian Snares for the confused looks you receive in public.

the 5687 based aikido does well with the hd650, very well from my experience.

yeah...the denons are great for electronic...the best I heard so far. don't need any mod for that.
In electronic music..the more the bass (quality bass ofcourse...)the better, the denons also got nice treble extension for that kind of music.
the HD650 excels in other stuff,that's for sure.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #34 of 45
As I said before in this thread, it really doesn't matter what amp you use, going balance or not, bass impact of your HD650 isn't gonna improve any further.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #36 of 45
I always hear a little more bottom end in the 650s, 20-40hz range, when things are balanced...

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always hear a little more bottom end in the 650s, 20-40hz range, when things are balanced...

that's good thing to hear.

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #38 of 45
I realize that most people here dislike EQ but I use an Aphex 204 in my modest rig...it does a decent job of increasing bass without overload. I feel that it does a better job than a 31-band EQ and with much less fiddle factor. It won't magically turn the HD 650 into a DX1000 but with bass shy recordings it really shines.

It also can help with
Senn_veil.gif
if you believe in such a thing.

icon10.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Return/sell them.

Get bassier headphones.

End.

x2

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #40 of 45
Having read through this thread I am shocked that nobody has yet mentioned duct tape. If you are unfamiliar with this outstanding modding product you might start by viewing a few episodes of The Red Green Show on PBS.

A few ideas to get you started would be to first, just cover the whole outside of your Senns with the tape. Gave them a listen; this would be just to establish a base line sound so to speak. Next I'd try removing that and then duct taping some various sizes and shapes of wood to the outside of them. Wood is a very popular product with headphone manufactures so it should be a safe place to start. If you want to get creative and feel up to using a few dangerous tools you could try cutting the pieces of wood to match the shape of the headphone cups, and also try using a chisel and scooping them out a bit to get different resonant effects. But chisels are dangerous so please use caution.

But why stop with wood? If you are going to be doing your own mods why not try some cutting edge products like pottery or porcelain. While you're at the hardware store getting the scroll saw and chisels for the wood mods, also pick up some flower pots of various shapes and sizes and tape them up to your Senns. Be sure and use lots of tape though as they can be heavy. Also small dinner plates etc. might be just the thing.

Finally, you might just want to venture into using metal for your headphone cups and so stop by a junk yard and pick up some good ol' fashioned hub caps. Tape a couple of those babies onto your cans and they could really help stop all that bass from leaking out of all those holes. What were those HD650 engineers thinking anyway???

Hope that helps.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #41 of 45
^My coffee almost came out the nose. LOL!

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #42 of 45
I must get DX1000 they seem to outdo denon bass and more soundstage.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #43 of 45
I did the tape mod with my RS1 and it did wonders...but with the HD650 I don't think it is a good thing since they are already warm and little rolled off at the highs. the tape will only make it worse IMO.

by the way...yesterday night I had a very eargasmic listening session with the HD650. I was in shock...it seems that they just needed a little time to open up, and now they sound like everybody have described it, bassy and warm and a little veil (but i like it,thats the reason i got them).

the bass was unbelievable! even with some trance tracks they performed really well. the bass was very, very, deep.
It seemed like they also improved in the mids and the highs relaxed a little bit and became even more shadowed...A few more rows in the back.
Now they are very much like an open version of the DENON.

I dont know...maybe it is the TUNG-SOL tube but I really feel like burn in has taken process there.
I really like them with the EF1 now...I even prefer this setup over my headroom ultra micro stack which is already very amazing, but I got hooked to the sound of the tubes.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #44 of 45
You could try swapping out the layer of foam closest to your ears with a denser material. Most of these types of mods use the absorbent material used in car washing cloths - the exact name escapes me. They're normally yellow and about 1-2mm thick.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Return/sell them.

Get bassier headphones.

End.

x3

What's the point in paying hundreds of dollars for a sound you don't like.
Looks better in the sig I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back