help me make my HD650 bass monsters!
Aug 23, 2009 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. I tried the HD650 with the EF1 and a short plate mullard but i still feels like they lacking some bass punch and also deep sub bass. although it is better than my other tubes.
any suggetions on how to improve the bass impact of those? maybe another amp? I feel like the EF1 is not powerful enough...maybe an upscale ,warmish SS amp?

I thought of using an equlizer but I am afraid that it will downgrade the quality? If i am wrong, I will be glad to boost the frequencies a little,but I still prefer to do it naturly.
thanks

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 45
I can vouch for the LDIII/HD650 approach: warm, no listening fatigue and brutal lows.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 45
wouldnt it be simpler to buy a pair of Ultrasone/Denon cans for those times when you want 'bass monsters' ?

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 45
Hey Plonter, I've mentioned this in the EF1 tube-rolling thread, but before you dismiss the EF1 complately I encourage you to give it one more try with the Tung-Sol Black Glass 12AU7. I've tried it for a full day now and basswise, they definitely beat out the Mullard Short Plate; there is superior control and subbass on these where as midbass impact is about the same. It has best bass of any 12AU7 I've tried (admittingly, to my non-basshead ears). As an added bonus they have wider soundstage than the Mullards also. To my ears, while they sound great with HD650s, they're getting to the point of almost having too much bass for my needs... so perhaps they'll sound good to you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I believe you could also tweak opamps for these if you have the later version, but I'm no expert on those so you may want to ask in the EF1 thread (few people have done it).

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Plonter, I've mentioned this in the EF1 tube-rolling thread, but before you dismiss the EF1 complately I encourage you to give it one more try with the Tung-Sol Black Glass 12AU7. I've tried it for a full day now and basswise, they definitely beat out the Mullard Short Plate; there is superior control and subbass on these where as midbass impact is about the same. It has best bass of any 12AU7 I've tried (admittingly, to my non-basshead ears). As an added bonus they have wider soundstage than the Mullards also. To my ears, while they sound great with HD650s, they're getting to the point of almost having too much bass for my needs... so perhaps they'll sound good to you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I believe you could also tweak opamps for these if you have the later version, but I'm no expert on those so you may want to ask in the EF1 thread (few people have done it).

i assume that burn in didn't fade away the tung sol BG bass than...?
I will try it anyway. I also ordered a blackplate rca, also supposed to be warm and creamy. but I really don't think that any tube will make the HD650 an open version of the denons,which is what i am looking for.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldnt it be simpler to buy a pair of Ultrasone/Denon cans for those times when you want 'bass monsters' ?

The OP has already got the Denon D5000 (see his sig)
regular_smile .gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 45
Pick up a M^3 with the variable bass boost control. Either that or apply equalization to bring the bass out. Changing tubes doesn't affect the circuit that much. Gains probably won't be what you want, but a M^3 can give it to you.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 45
I had a balanced HD650 driven by the Phoenix and have heard it out of Zana Deux, B22, etc...

So I can tell you that no amp will give you the bass impact you crave out of the HD650. You need a L3000.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pick up a M^3 with the variable bass boost control. Either that or apply equalization to bring the bass out. Changing tubes doesn't affect the circuit that much. Gains probably won't be what you want, but a M^3 can give it to you.

Thanks, i will consider it. In fact i absolutely love the HD650 sound sig,and only want to get all their bass potential out,and i know they can give more than i have right now.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 45
Just save yourself a lot of hassle and money by first at least trying some different EQ settings for Pete's sake. It should not downgrade the quality (well, depending on how you do it). Try to set aside any preconceived opinions and use your own ears eh. (Equalizers developed a bad rep with audiophiles back when they first became available in the hardware only days because yes at that time the units did add extra noise to their systems).

[size=xx-small]disclaimer: I am not affiliated with, nor an employee of Pete[/size]

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 45
Get some Darth Beyers! They'll knock your fillings out!

(in a good way)

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your budget for attempting this transformation?

I would rather stay under 500$ but for something really good I maybe consider to spend more.

I guess that my plans for going balanced with them will get further away as now I need to spend more money. and also as i understood, balanced will not help in my situation (adding bass)

So if i am gonna get a new amp, I want it to be better than my current amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back