Help Me Get Started
Jan 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zKronos

New Head-Fier
To begin with, I don't know a whole lot about headphones, which is the reason I am here. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask, and if anybody could tell me some things that I should know I'd love to hear it. I am trying to buy some high quality headphones but don't know where to start or what to look for. I will mostly be using the headphones for playing guitar into the headphones and for mixing.

I have about $200 to spend on headphones. If anybody could give me a starting point it would be greatly appreciated.

1. What should I look for to pick out high quality headphones?
2. Are there any specific brands I should look for or avoid?

Thankyou

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 3
OK, you want an inexpensive professional studio headphone.

As you can see, contextual advertising has the answer to your question. Highly recommended headphones in this price range are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Creative Aurvana Live!/Denon AH-D1001, most people are satisfied with these headphones. (But the Creative Aurvana Live!/Denon AH-D1001 is not a professional headphone.)

I've had the Denon AH-D1001 and I gave it out because I did not like their sound, but I like Audio-Technica ATH-M50s and these headphones are just enough for me and (I suppose) will be enough forever as I don't work with vocals. Therefore, I highly recommend listening to headphones before buying them.

Studio headphones are fundamentally different from consumer headphones. Consumer headphones designed for comfortable listening to music, but studio headphones must give you the ability to hear all the nuances of your music, so the ideal frequency response of these earphones is a straight horizontal line. Nearly all, including very expensive headphones are far from this ideal. For me (in these terms) the ideal headphone is the Audio-Technica ATH-CK100PRO, but I see the point of using these headphones only if you want to record vocals (sibilants!) and generally assume that your music has to sound good even at frequencies that are not audible in most consumer headphones.

Try to consider as an alternative to the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro and any high definition headphones of AKG, such as the AKG K 272 HD and the AKG K 141 MK II.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 3
try to learn a little bit about headphones like what is the difference between close/open headphone (+ and Minus of them), the trait of the headphone you are wanting (bass, mid, highs, treble, vocal, instrument etc.), full size/portable or on ear/not on ear, location of use, need for isolation, type of music etc.

Really just learn about the different option a headphone can provide you and fit it to your need. Each headphone will provide and satisfy different needs and none will do it all. any question you have and can think of type it in the search bar and slowly you will find out a closer idea of what you are wanting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back