Help me find warm SS pre-amp for less than $1000
Jan 22, 2007 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

onecm

Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for a warm/tubey/rich sounding SS pre-amp for under $1000. Does anyone have any suggestions? Happy to buy second hand, but must be able to find in 230 or 240 volts. Limited to SS due to use by clumsy non-audiophile family members

Not really too sure where to start on this one..

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 23
headroom desktop with home module... headphone amp/preamp, warm, beautiful and less than 1K.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 23
why preamp? why not go integrated?

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by onecm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently looking for a warm/tubey/rich sounding SS pre-amp for under $1000. Does anyone have any suggestions? Happy to buy second hand, but must be able to find in 230 or 240 volts. Limited to SS due to use by clumsy non-audiophile family members

Not really too sure where to start on this one..

No such thing.

Never found any solid state that could give a tube sound in terms of timbre.

Source should be solid state. Don't introduce tube euphonics at the source.

Pre-amp should be tube. Here is a good place to add some natural flesh to the tone body, which you can manipulate by degrees with tube selection.

I like a solid state amp to sharpen up tone edges and imaging, though a tube amp works great with the right tubes.

That works best for me.

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 23
Mapletree Audio Design SA-2 linestage for $650. It also comes as a kit. It is a lovely sounding tube preamp.

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 23
The HeadAmp GS-1 has a pre-amp, is warm for a solid-state, is less than $1000, and can easily be configured for 220-240V.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 23
The RSA Audio HR2 is pretty darn warm. Wouldn't call it "tubey" since who knows what that means anymore these days, but warm, indeed.

edit- just looked it up-

Emmeline HR-2 Headphone Amp - $875.00

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 23
IRD Purist preamp http://www.irdaudio.com/products/purist.htm is a very good SS preamp, one I can live with as my reference, and the best thing is it is only $650 new factory direct.

Another great SS preamp is Odyssey Tempest, which you can buy under $1000 used. http://www.odysseyaudio.com/tempest.html

Both are very "warm" in the sense there is no grit, grain and plenty of harmonic overtones to flesh out the music. Bass and dynamics of both are way beyond what most tubed preamps can do at any reasonable price.

Another good way to go is a TVC (transformer volume control), which is passive but tends to be smooth and warm with better dynamics than other passives in traditional setups.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 23
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm looking to get this for my dad's system and he will not maintian a tube amp (replacing old ARC amp) so it's definitely SS only.

I was thinking maybe a perreaux, but they only have a single input budget linestage, and a $3000 dollar one..

Any other brands known for warm SS?

Jan 23, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #11 of 23
Tube preamps are not so difficult to live with these days. There are a number of designs where you don't need to bias the tubes and modern caps and resistors rarely go belly-up the way wax/paper and carbon comp did. At most, you'll swap in a new pair of tubes every few years.

But since you asked for solid state, have you looked into Pass Labs?

http://www.passlabs.com/products.htm

I don't have any of his commerical stuff, but did build a Zen Preamp and Amp. They don't sound like tubes, but they do have a softer, pleasing sound.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 23
Rudistor. I actually opened my RPX33 to see if Rudi had hidden a tube inside. Later on, the speed also gave it away as being a SS design. But you'll have to listen hard to notice it.
A RP5.1 might be a good solution: mixed design, so it uses SS & tubes where both make most sense.

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 23
Corda Opera -- the latest and most sophisticated product in the Meier-Audio lineup

operafrontbwsmall.jpg

operabackbwsmall.jpg

Not exactly tubey, but smooth, warm and (nevertheless) ultra-detailed and transparent. And it comes with an excellent built-in DAC (USB and coax).

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 23
The GS-X which is a balanced GS-1 with beef up power supply should be pretty good just be a little over your budget. I havn't heard it but I have tried GS-1 before, it's knid of at the warm side of the sound.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-X which is a balanced GS-1 with beef up power supply should be pretty good just be a little over your budget. I havn't heard it but I have tried GS-1 before, it's knid of at the warm side of the sound.

Oye as a former owner of 001 GSX I say good suggestion but you are wrong.
the GSX has some amazing qualities but preamp'ing is not one of them (probably one of one..of them).

ONECM

I have what you are looking for rite by my side, of course its easy to say the name but you must understand to obtain such a pre would require sailing to the ends of all the seas to find as there are only to be two in existence!
I being one owner of the two you would have to pry this off my bloody and lifeless hands before you grab hold of mine..(in other words your not getting this one)

but there is hope for you, there is a man that may just be able to tell you how to process such a beast! this man is rumored to live in a small village right off the waters of Michigan.

how strong are you to under go such an adventure? are you willing to risk your life?...for the greatest and rarest of the rare pre amps ever to land on this place called earth?

ok sorry guys just got done watching pirates of the Caribbean..lol

the preamp is the CA-2
go to Raysamuelsaudio.com and get that mans phone number..beg to him,plead to him, it may even take your first born cause he might say...?NO?

lol I love movies..lol

talk to Ray he would at least tell you how to buy the last CA-2, its worth every penny of the $695.00

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...llinestage.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back