help me find my first decent guitar amp
Sep 18, 2007 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

nothing101

500+ Head-Fier
at the moment i am looking at the peavey valveking 112 and the marshall mg100dfx. i am also considering the peavey 112 bandit. i was wondering what other good amps there are for around this price. i want the amp to be versitile and preferably tubey. The other option ive heard about is the ashton vp30 which is a very cheap valve amp.

any input would be much appreciated.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 42
I have a Peavy Valveking 112 and I love it. As an example I was playing something.... Oh yeah - "Time Warp" from Rocky Horror for my kids. I kept fooling around with my Zoom super-pedal trying to find the right sound when it finally hit me - I need good old fashioned tube crunch. I bypassed the pedal, turned up the gain and pow - sweet tubey goodness.

When you want to solo, hit the gain boost and it soars into creamy solo tubiness. The only beef I have with this amp is that the gain boost is only on the front panel. Having it on the foot switch would have been good.

It's a solid amp, but I've not really taken it out anywhere. My rockin' at the club days are long gone.
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW I play with an Ibanez semi-acoustic, and I used to play with a Guild solid-body.

I had a bandit years ago, and it was a good amp, but this one blows it away IMO. I don't know about the new bandits, and I don't have any experience with that Marshal.

GAD

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 42
i'd personally only consider the solid state marshalls if you want that sound... if you want the marshall sound get an all tube marshall the solid states and hybrids fall short

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 42
Don't get a Marshall unless you go for the JCM 2000, they are cheap and break easily.

The ValveKing is awesome. I use a Kustom 36 Coupe, which is really my favorite tube amp in that price range.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 42
x4000 regarding SS Marshalls.

Many many people RAVE about VOX solid states for those on a budget.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nontube Marshalls (like the MG) are junk!
Go for a Peavey Classic 30, Crate V series, Fender BJ, or B-52 At-112.

yeah the cheap marshalls ive heard are pretty bad.... but the serious ones
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 42
hmm my guitar is pretty messed up now. i took it in to be fixed but it came back with the tremolo not working properly. it could be possible that i would be forced to replace that instead of my amp.

ah the gear not working right blues...

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 42
This sounds like a job for kramer5150
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 42
i owned both a fender rocpro (big 100w combo) and a vox valvetronix (30w small), and it's true that a hybrid modelling amp can give you a few choice tones if you fiddle with it at a good price.

but if you want a real tube tone, you kinda have to go all the way and find an all tube amp. i've moved on to a monster big one (twin reverb, 85W?) and a tiny spitty one (60's epi combo, 15W?) and although they give you different good stuff (twin for clean, epi for plush and crunch) the "realness" of tube will get you hooked.

look on craigslist for local pickups (most folks dont want to ship amps) and if you're lucky it'll just need a change of tubes, but definitely try it out before buying. the epi threw me for a loop and needed much work, but in the end there were great rewards. the twin only needed some nice NOS USA tubes in there to get going.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 42
Well the all tube amps im looking at are the ashton vp30 and the peavey valveking112.

in general, what are the differences between solid state and valve guitar amps. i know what the typical valve sound signature is but how do valves effect the distortion? Do vavle amps have a lot more noise than solid state amps?

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 42
i tried the valveking 112 today. i was not all that impressed with it although i was distracted by a mob of friends. do you think the 112 bandit would sound better? or maybe the mg100dfx?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back