help me find my first decent guitar amp
Sep 25, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the all tube amps im looking at are the ashton vp30 and the peavey valveking112.

in general, what are the differences between solid state and valve guitar amps. i know what the typical valve sound signature is but how do valves effect the distortion? Do vavle amps have a lot more noise than solid state amps?

my main observation is solid state distortion is almost always harsher there are exceptions with some of the better tube emulation circuits but even those only get you so far

i currently own no tube amps but have played on many... and the closest i've gotten to tube sound from a solid state is from a sansamp setup (and behringer's v-tone which is a poor man's sansamp) but even that was maybe only 90% of the way there that extra 10% is the subtle magic that actual tubes add to the sound...

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 42
what i found is that the amp was dull and muddy. i dont think i will find better for under an aussie grand. there is the ashton vp30 but ive never heard many good things about ashtons.

i think the problem with guitar distortion is the more of it you have, the more extra noise there is to ruin it. I found that with the peavey valveking 112. Maybe i gave it too much gain. The clean channel was a bit dirty which i like.

the friend that i was with was raving about the marshall mg100dfx. he was saying that it sounds better. does it sound better even though it is only solid state?

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what i found is that the amp was dull and muddy. i dont think i will find better for under an aussie grand. there is the ashton vp30 but ive never heard many good things about ashtons.

i think the problem with guitar distortion is the more of it you have, the more extra noise there is to ruin it. I found that with the peavey valveking 112. Maybe i gave it too much gain. The clean channel was a bit dirty which i like.

the friend that i was with was raving about the marshall mg100dfx. he was saying that it sounds better. does it sound better even though it is only solid state?

Heck no, it sounds horrible. It's not like "I don't like the sound" but rather it is junk

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

oh and by the way, how much do you guys think the pickups determine the sound?

A LOT. Steve Vai tells a story (I think on his website) about one of his engineers discarding a "broken" pickup. He made the tour bus turn around so they could fish it out of the dumpster.

What exactly is it that you're looking for - a certain sound? I don't think the 112 is muddy at all, but it might be compared to your preconceived notion of what you're looking for.

GAD

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #23 of 42
Check out youTube theres lots of vids with Amp samples up there.
I used to play quitar many years ago and trying to start it again. Currently looking for a small practise amp myself. I'm liking the Epiphone Valve Jr at the moment. Though I'm also thinking something like a Roland Cube is probably more useful for practising on.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #25 of 42
Have any of you guys tried out the Pignose G40V all-tube amp? A friend of mine told me about it a while back but I never see anyone talking about it when recommending affordable tube amps. Just wondering how it compares to the offerings from the big companies.

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #26 of 42
Hehe, That is the same amp, G40V, that I am considering also as my first 'all tube' amp. Right now, my VOX AD30VT is doing extremely well, but when i move up to 'pure' tubes, it's a hard choice between the pignose or a Blues Jr.
blink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 42
Oct 4, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #29 of 42
nice article Jahn.

I wonder how close to the piggy my VOX set to -> TWEED 4x10 - 1959 Fender 4x10 Bassman <- setting would be.

Right now, i'm really liking the AC30TB setting tho.

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #30 of 42
i was forced to get a new guitar because mine could not be fixed. because of this i cant get a nice amp but also... the guitar needs to be taken in to get the trem set up properly
mad.gif
my old guitar has been in for repairs on and off for the past few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back