Help me find a subwoofer!
Feb 24, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #31 of 44
I have some acoustic foam that looks like the Subdude, so I'll give a layer or two of that a shot before spending $50 on some glued together foam.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'm going to stick with the S12. It's a fair amount more than I'd budget, but cancelling the HD595 is helping with that. I figure I'll get the S8 and then want more, so I'll just pick up the S12 to begin with. Makes more sense in terms of $/year, you know?

I'll need to give Vanns a call to see if they'll still get it. I heard that they'll have more by the end of February, so I sure hope they will...

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by johan851
I have some acoustic foam that looks like the Subdude, so I'll give a layer or two of that a shot before spending $50 on some glued together foam.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure, but for the full effect, the Subdude does have some acoustical wedges underneath to act as a mid frequency bass trap, so you'll need to do the same. You also don't want to use foam that's too soft, because if the sub isn't stable or bounces, you'll lose output.

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by powderific
That SubDude device looks like it would be very handy for an apartment building, I'm curious though, does it hurt the output any? Say, if I had one with the little S8, would it make it too weak?

Nope, it has no effect on output at any frequency, at least none that is measurable with a frequency sweep.

Here's a forum that has lots of posts about it
http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index....=11&rid=0&SQ=0 (Note: the Subdude is also the same as the "Gramma" product)

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #35 of 44
Thanks, warpdriver, I had no idea such a thing existed. I'd been holding off on a sub due to the resonance/apartment living thing. This would allow me to fill out my music quite nicely.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #36 of 44
That looks like a pretty simple kind of thing, though...just some MDF, carpet, and serious foam underneath. I'm thinking I'll just head down to Home Depot or something for the MDF and build my own.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by powderific
Thanks, warpdriver, I had no idea such a thing existed. I'd been holding off on a sub due to the resonance/apartment living thing. This would allow me to fill out my music quite nicely.

Yup, it *is* simple. I read an article about it once and there was actually some thinking behind it (getting the right density of foam) to get it damp the right frequencies, but for sure, it'd be worth it to DIY. There are posts I've seen about how to DIY.

I bought one just because I can't be bothered to make one myself. $50 to get the improvement in sound that it gives is a pretty good value still.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #38 of 44
Just talked to a guy at Vanns, and he says that the soonest they'll be getting the S12's back in stock is the first week of April.

Well...that sucks.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 44
I am currently using Epos els-3 speakers with a t-amp. I would also like to add a subwoofer to my system. How would I connect a sub into my current system? My system is in a small bedroom, so I would definately prefer a smaller sub. Any recommendations? thanks.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #40 of 44
Most subs (including the Mirage in this thread) have a high level line-in....so you connect the sub to the amp the same way (by running a second set of speaker wires to the sub)

The Mirage S8 is plenty good for this purpose.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
I've been eyeing up this sub:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...00%20Subwoofer

Specs down to 23Hz! and it's only $165 shipped!

It seems like a GREAT deal to me. I am amazed how a 10" sub can go that deep.

I was planning to get the Hsu Research sub for $300, but that Athena went on sale for $150 shipped at Onecall via Amazon a couple weeks ago and I took the plunge. I love the sub, though it's large.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
What are you using to crossover to the sub?

It's part of my HT system now so the crossover is built in to the receiver, but I now use this to do my phase and polarity (as well as full EQ) http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...05-part-1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back