Help Me Fill My Iron Order
Mar 7, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 20
I really like the smaller dia. solder, and currently use Rad Shack .015" 62/36/2 and love it because I have so much better control. I've been using a 1 ounce roll for quite some time now.
I purchased some Chem-Wik ROSIN SD braid a while back and have only used it once but it really did a lot better than the other stuff I have tried thus far.
Don't forget flux, I use Kester #186 type RMA and #951 no clean atm, both work great and come in pen form.
Also if your gonna work with small part you might consider a pair of tweezers, they are invaluable for teeny tiny parts, I like the plain straight ones better than curved.
And I can't stop before I mention cutters, I use a very small pair that are angled to make cutting leads after soldering a lot easier.
I could go on....sorry if your just in the market for a station only.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 20
No..I appreciate the help. I'm a total newbie just trying to put a list together to bring my total up to $100.00 so I can get the free shipping on the station. I don't have anything right now other than helping hands and a vise. I need tweezers, solder, desoldering wick, maybe a pump, etc. If I'm missing something please let me know.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 20
Another tool I find useful is a lead forming tool. I forget exactly where I got both of mine, but I had to hunt around to get it with affordable shipping. I think I ordered something else with it, can't remember.
This is not something that's necessary, small needle nose pliers are just as effective.
The helping hands is another great tool on the bench.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the smaller dia. solder, and currently use Rad Shack .015" 62/36/2 and love it because I have so much better control. I've been using a 1 ounce roll for quite some time now.
I purchased some Chem-Wik ROSIN SD braid a while back and have only used it once but it really did a lot better than the other stuff I have tried thus far.
Don't forget flux, I use Kester #186 type RMA and #951 no clean atm, both work great and come in pen form.
Also if your gonna work with small part you might consider a pair of tweezers, they are invaluable for teeny tiny parts, I like the plain straight ones better than curved.
And I can't stop before I mention cutters, I use a very small pair that are angled to make cutting leads after soldering a lot easier.
I could go on....sorry if your just in the market for a station only.

They have the Chem-Wik ROSIN SD braid at HMC Electronics. What size do you think I should get for all-around work?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 20
I also use mostly the default tip, except couple times for smd soldering I changed the tip to the thinner one. The default tips works good for smd too. Other stuff I get from radioshack, except for some silver solder I occasionally use for silver wire and to it show off
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 20
I used to have a tool that bent the leads in a way that put a c shaped bend where it would stick through the circuit board. Better versions of the tool bent them in a rectangular shape so the bit of lead that went through the hole went through perfectly parallel with the hole. Very handy to hold parts on the board while soldering, although it didn't quite hold parts steady--they'd still rock side to side. Can't find anything like that these days.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Another tool I find useful is a lead forming tool. I forget exactly where I got both of mine, but I had to hunt around to get it with affordable shipping. I think I ordered something else with it, can't remember.
This is not something that's necessary, small needle nose pliers are just as effective.
The helping hands is another great tool on the bench.

Thanks. I've been looking for one of those.

To the OP:
I find that the 0.025 solder is kind of thin in my opinion for general use. I like the old roll of 0.031 I have better (other than it is 60/40 instead of 63/37). I also use the stock tip on my Hakko the most. I have a small screwdriver tip that I use for SMD, as well as a larger screwdriver tip that I use for cables, large ground plane connections, etc.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Chris:

PartsConnexion also sells them in the "Solder, Tools and Cleaners" section.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by willne1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have the Chem-Wik ROSIN SD braid at HMC Electronics. What size do you think I should get for all-around work?

I got the .030 thinking it would be easier to heat up. Just below the "Size .030" on the roll it says "2-5L".

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think I ordered from the link I gave. IIRC it was a company based in California, but I found this page with all 3 tools at a price that I kinda remember. The website may have changed, I didn't end up getting all 3 tools just the two red ones. I might order the aqua tool with some of the Kester 245 no clean .031 15gram sample and see how it works.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

I got the .030 thinking it would be easier to heat up. Just below the "Size .030" on the roll it says "2-5L".

Do you think i need a pump or will the wick do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back