Help me drive a stick
Nov 6, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #61 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by blueocp
A good thing to learn andrew, is figuring out the place on the clutch were it *just* engages the tranny. The car will start to move very slowly forward without any gas. If u let it go any further you stall.

Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
no it wont stall if you let it out slowly enough on a flat surface.

a1, thats what i have been saying all along, at a certain point it will move without gas. You said letting go slowly it will not stall. Making that statement after I had noted my original comment only leads me to assume that you meant letting your foot off the clutch further than that point. Anyway this is a misunderstanding and I think we both were trying to make the same point.

Nov 6, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #62 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol

A cuple years ago Audi introduced a belt transmission, with pulleys which can change size continuously. I think just about all the big car makers are developing these now. It's the ultimate in comfort. I do not know what kind of losses these have. there are few moving parts, but the belts must have alot of friction with the pulleys. They also cannot handle high torque/power yet.

AFAIK the continuous gear ratio gearbox was patented, like, 20 years ago or more, and is just now coming out of patent so carmakers can use it.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 6, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #63 of 70
CVT = continuously variable transmission

Audi has it in the A4, they call in "Multitronic". The technology is not able to handle high torque loads though.

Ain't nothing like a slick shifting manual gear box though,
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #64 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
CVT = continuously variable transmission

Subaru had an econobox in the late '80s with this (the Justy maybe?) I only remember seeing about 2 years.

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:09 PM Post #65 of 70
Ok, I think I'm beginning to have hills figured out. Basically, I hold hte break, and slowly let the clutch out, until it engages. Then, I move from break to gas, and add some power(more than I would add if I was on level ground), then, to compensate for that, I slowly let the clutch out even further. I don't drop it, just very slowly let it out. Am I ok?

Nov 6, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Ok, I think I'm beginning to have hills figured out. Basically, I hold hte break, and slowly let the clutch out, until it engages. Then, I move from break to gas, and add some power(more than I would add if I was on level ground), then, to compensate for that, I slowly let the clutch out even further. I don't drop it, just very slowly let it out. Am I ok?

Yeah, that's exactly right. You just need to find the friction point. It's a complex juggling act, but you will get it eventually.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #69 of 70
On hills, I use the ball of my right foot to hold the brake, and the heel of the same foot to give a little gas as my left foot re-engages the clutch. As the clutch reaches friction point, slide your left foot off the brake, and give it a little more throttle. Perfect.
smily_headphones1.gif

Might want to give that a try when you get some more confidence. That way, you won't have to use the handbrake, and you'll never roll back. Practise it on level ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back