Help me drive a stick
Nov 3, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #31 of 70
Ok, here's an update. I'm pretty sure none of you care, but here goes:

My stick driving is going pretty well. I'm really starting to get a feel for when to shift, etc. At least I don't stall as much these days.
biggrin.gif
Unfortunatly, I don't drive it nearly as much as I'd like to. But I can tell I'll be driving it a lot more. . . Hills are still of a challenge. Not a challenge in the sense that I can't do them. It's just that it takes me a while to get up the nerve to release the brake, and pray that I don't roll into the person behind me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #32 of 70
Don't worry...

From one Pittsburgher to another you will receive PLENTY of practice with our hilly and twisty roads. Be happy you don't live in the midwest where the roads are so straight and flat that the cars don't even have steering wheels!!

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #34 of 70
Stomp on clutch, slam stick into gear, drop clutch as quickly as possible while stomping on accelerator. Repeat when tachometer approaches redline. What are you, some kind of girly-man?

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #35 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
If you said that a few years ago...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

whoops... must've been a typo... I meant to say "MANUAL"

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
whoops... must've been a typo... I meant to say "MANUAL"

Correct, not to mention that a clutch and gearbox configuration is much easier and cheaper to repair than an automatic transmission, and less failure-prone.

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
Stomp on clutch, slam stick into gear, drop clutch as quickly as possible while stomping on accelerator. Repeat when tachometer approaches redline. What are you, some kind of girly-man?

LOL

Hmm, so the secret to driving a stick is dropping the clutch?
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
LOL

Hmm, so the secret to driving a stick is dropping the clutch?
biggrin.gif

Now you're learning. You should never have any pedal at any state other than full-on or full-off, or you'll never get any girls.

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Ah, this all makes sense now! Would it help to keep a backup clutch in the trunk, you know, just in case?
biggrin.gif

No, because if you do manage to ruin your clutch, you'll be forced to rev harder and harder as it slips, thereby increasing your noise emissions and impressing even more people.

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #42 of 70
Would a large wing help out? ooo, how about stickers that say NAWZ?
biggrin.gif
Now, if I take a folgers coffee can, and put it on my exhaust, will that bring in more ladies?

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #44 of 70
lol, I remember seeing that site a while ago. Not sure if it was here, or on a car board.
biggrin.gif

Any other tips? Oh, how about 30 inch rims? Oooo, and gold trim!

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

lol, I remember seeing that site a while ago. Not sure if it was here, or on a car board.
biggrin.gif

Any other tips? Oh, how about 30 inch rims? Oooo, and gold trim!

fast-furious_3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back