Help me draw my dad away from the lure of Bose QC15
Feb 21, 2011 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Purpleness

New Head-Fier

Hello,

I am looking to recommend headphones to my dad. He is interested in the Bose QC15 because of comfort and sound isolation. 

Help me offer him something better for the money. His budget is 300$ and i could convince him to spend some of that on an amp. 

I am looking for a very comfortable headphone with a warm sound signature and great sound isolation in the 300$ range. Or maybe a headphone and an amp with a total around 300$ cost. 

Thanks,

Alex

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 9
TBH the QC15 is a great choice if you're looking for comfort and sound isolation. They're wonderful for travel and listening to audiobooks and such.. Their weakness is music :p

What does he listen to? 

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 9
How about the Sennheiser HD 25-II?

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Is "noise isolation" his priority? If it is, then it would be best to stick in the "noise canceling" headphones market.

There is a nice video on Youtube that compares six noise canceling headphones against airplane noise, and I believe the Sennheiser PXC350/450 came out on top, with the Bose QC15 second. But the Panasonic HC headphone did extremely well too -- especially considering it's a 3rd the price!

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Uh, to be honest, I think QC15 qualifies as "warm sound signature and great sound isolation in the 300$ range".

The answer will be how important is noise canceling for you dad.
If so, QC15 is the best on the market for comfortness, noise canceling, and sound among noise canceling phones.

One of my own experience may be useful for your purpose.
I didn't find myself to use my QC15 very often besides traveling.
It's no really because that I have better phones around, but rather that I don't find that I can utilized the superb noise canceling in normal circumstances.
I simply don't have the luxury of no being disturb for a long period of time sitting alone in my office.
I still need to be somewhat alert which QC15 does its best to prevent you from that.....

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 9
How about the Goldring NS1000 ?  The QC15 and Sennheiser PXC450's are really good (the latter these days is one of the best value for money when it comes to active noise cancelling).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back