Help Me Decide !
Dec 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MiyuuKun

New Head-Fier
Hi folks. I'm trying to pick a new set of headphone for me. I did some research and found Audio Technica ATH M50.
But I want to be an open minded person and wanna ask for your expert skill and help me determine one.
This is characteristics for the headphone that I want :-

~  Must be a closed back ( as i want a good isolation )
~  Stylish look yet awesome build quality ( I dont want a good set of headphone with low durability and ugly looking )
~  Good or near perfect isolation ( I normally use it at medium noisy place such as the mall , so i want to hear the music without any interruption )
~  A detachable cable ( I'm pretty scared of damaging the cables )
~ A good portability 
~ No sound leakage from my headphone ( dont wanna disturb other people )
~ Deep bass but not muddy 
~ Price range of 200 USD and below ( might also considered below 260 USD if they're as good as they can be)

I like the M50 . The only things stopping me from buying them is their non detachable and super long cable ( i mean seriously super long) . But I've found a thread that someone modifies his/her M50 to be detachable cable.
Here's the link > http://www.head-fi.org/t/553483/ath-m50-removable-cable-mod

As I am only a noob at headphone , I dont know much about modifying a headphone. So, can anyone show me or give me the link on how to mod a headphone to be detachable.Do I need to send to a shop to modify it for me? And one more thing , does it affect the sound quality of the headphone if i mod them?

Would you guys also recommend/suggest me a good amp to be pair with the headphone.Something under 100 USD. I need it to be portable and good amp for its price ofcourse. And what is DAC suppose to do? Do i really need it?

Any help would be appreciated ! (Sorry if my english aren't good as yours)

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 19
It sounds like the HM5/FA003 would fit your bill. If someone else could comment on the viability of them being portable I'm not sure how often they're used for that. Although if you do get a portable amp they should be fine.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
Hi folks. I'm trying to pick a new set of headphone for me. I did some research and found Audio Technica ATH M50.
But I want to be an open minded person and wanna ask for your expert skill and help me determine one.
This is characteristics for the headphone that I want :-

~  Must be a closed back ( as i want a good isolation )
~  Stylish look yet awesome build quality ( I dont want a good set of headphone with low durability and ugly looking )
~  Good or near perfect isolation ( I normally use it at medium noisy place such as the mall , so i want to hear the music without any interruption )
~  A detachable cable ( I'm pretty scared of damaging the cables )
~ A good portability 
~ No sound leakage from my headphone ( dont wanna disturb other people )
~ Deep bass but not muddy 
~ Price range of 200 USD and below ( might also considered below 260 USD if they're as good as they can be)

I like the M50 . The only things stopping me from buying them is their non detachable and super long cable ( i mean seriously super long) . But I've found a thread that someone modifies his/her M50 to be detachable cable.
Here's the link > http://www.head-fi.org/t/553483/ath-m50-removable-cable-mod

As I am only a noob at headphone , I dont know much about modifying a headphone. So, can anyone show me or give me the link on how to mod a headphone to be detachable.Do I need to send to a shop to modifies it for me? And one more thing , does it affect the sound quality of the headphone if i mod them?

Would you guys also recommend/suggest me a good amp to be pair with the headphone.Something under 100 USD. I need it to be portable and good amp for its price ofcourse. And what is DAC suppose to do? Do i really need it?

Any help would be appreciated ! (Sorry if my english aren't good as yours)

If you can spend up to $260, even $200, I advise you to not buy the ATH M50, as there are so many better options. What type of sound do you want?

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
It sounds like the HM5/FA003 would fit your bill. If someone else could comment on the viability of them being portable I'm not sure how often they're used for that. Although if you do get a portable amp they should be fine.

Any suggestion on the amp? I'm pretty much clueless . 100$ is my maximum spend for amp though as am I still a student!

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
If you can spend up to $260, even $200, I advise you to not buy the ATH M50, as there are so many better options. What type of sound do you want?

Im not an expert though. But I want a detailed headphone with a decent bass and would work great if use with an amp! But also work great even without one.I want to hear everything clearly  and without anything lacking in it. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Im not an expert though. But I want a detailed headphone with a decent bass and would work great if use with an amp! But also work great even without one.I want to hear everything clearly  and without anything lacking in it. 

Check out a used Ultrasone PRO 750 + a Fiio E11 portable amp if you can spend up to $260. If a little more on a budget, check out the Shure SRH 840 + a Fiio E11. The 840 is one fantastic headphone.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 19
I am also in the same situation you are and I am also looking for the same features you mentioned.  My top candidates as of right now, are the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro/Pro 550 and the Brainwavz HM5 so I would also recommend those for you to check out.  Keep in mind, I do not own either of them, but they both have features that you are looking for, such as detachable cables and sound isolation.  Although, I also have questions regarding the HM5's portability as they are bulkier than most closed full sized headphones. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
Check out a used Ultrasone PRO 750 + a Fiio E11 portable amp if you can spend up to $260. If a little more on a budget, check out the Shure SRH 840 + a Fiio E11. The 840 is one fantastic headphone.

Nice recommendation. The Ultrasone looks cool but as I was saying under 260$ . I can only get the Ultrasone at my country for almost 390 dollars ! But thanks for the recommendation though.
As for the Shure , it looks way too bulky and people recommend the M50 over the Shure's. Although I read reviews that says that their sound quality is almost the same and so does their price .
Thank you for the recommendation though. Is Fiio E11 a good amp for any headphone and do suggest more headphone to me 
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Nice recommendation. The Ultrasone looks cool but as I was saying under 260$ . I can only get the Ultrasone at my country for almost 390 dollars ! But thanks for the recommendation though.
As for the Shure , it looks way too bulky and people recommend the M50 over the Shure's. Although I read reviews that says that their sound quality is almost the same and so does their price .
Thank you for the recommendation though. Is Fiio E11 a good amp for any headphone and do suggest more headphone to me 
biggrin.gif

The Fiio E11 is fantastic! I love mine. Also look at the PA2V2, Digizoid ZO2 and maybe a Fiio E7 (some say the E7 sounds a bit cold).

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasone-PRO-750-Headband-Headphones-FREE-SHIPPING-/321041700384?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item4abf939620

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
I am also in the same situation you are and I am also looking for the same features you mentioned.  My top candidates as of right now, are the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro/Pro 550 and the Brainwavz HM5 so I would also recommend those for you to check out.  Keep in mind, I do not own either of them, but they both have features that you are looking for, such as detachable cables and sound isolation.  Although, I also have questions regarding the HM5's portability as they are bulkier than most closed full sized headphones. 

Yup! The HM5 does look a lot bulkier to me but sadly i'm not attracted to the looks of the headphone.
Quote:
The Fiio E11 is fantastic! I love mine. Also look at the PA2V2, Digizoid ZO2 and maybe a Fiio E7 (some say the E7 sounds a bit cold).

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasone-PRO-750-Headband-Headphones-FREE-SHIPPING-/321041700384?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item4abf939620

I saw that one too but i prefer new ones than the used ones.I cant seem to find the PA2V2 in ebay . Do you know any online store that sells it and ships it worldwide?

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

I saw that one too but i prefer new ones than the used ones.I cant seem to find the PA2V2 in ebay . Do you know any online store that sells it and ships it worldwide?

I bought my PRO 900 used, and also my Fiio E11 used too. 
biggrin.gif

This is the link to buy the PA2V2: http://electric-avenues.com/ 

But I'm just saying, buy used. PRO 750 is a fantastic headphone.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
I bought my PRO 900 used, and also my Fiio E11 used too. 
biggrin.gif

This is the link to buy the PA2V2: http://electric-avenues.com/ 

But I'm just saying, buy used. PRO 750 is a fantastic headphone.

Perhaps buying the used ones would be better as they are already use for a while . So its kinda like burn in right? I'll might consider this choice eventhough i still prefer new ones! 
Any suggestion and headphone recommendation would be really appreaciated! 
As for the PA2V2 , I already found it in ebay. It turns out I mispell them. hehe
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 19
You can also look into the Ultrasone Pro 550 (or its counterpart, the DJ1 Pro), it fits your criteria and is within your specified budget.

Amp wise, the PA2V2 is a solid performer for its price, and pairs up nicely with Ultrasones.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Perhaps buying the used ones would be better as they are already use for a while . So its kinda like burn in right? I'll might consider this choice eventhough i still prefer new ones! 
Any suggestion and headphone recommendation would be really appreaciated! 
As for the PA2V2 , I already found it in ebay. It turns out I mispell them. hehe
biggrin.gif

Yeah, buying used ones is sorta like burn in, but burn it in a bit more just to make sure. And Fiio E11 or PA2V2 are fantastic portable amplifiers, so either one of them would be great. Or, if you want a load of bass, check out a Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 + Fiio E11 or PA2V2. Great headphone also, was considering it, but I got a great deal on the PRO 900.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 19
Pa2V2 is guaranteed for life no questions asked and gets you insane battery time. Plus Gary is one of the best people i have ever dealt with super fast with responses. And it looks cool.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back