Help me decide on my first pair of headphones!
Aug 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jmarsiglio

Head-Fier

Hey everyone, it's my first post here and my first headphone purchase (soon). I'm looking for a well priced ( < $300 ) closed headphone (can be used) for listening to music on my ipod touch 2G and my computer. This means I will NOT be using an amp. Typically I listen to genres such as GOA/psycho trance, dubstep, downtempo/acid jazz, and classical. I would deduce that I would need a headphone that is good at handling bass. I want to be using it in public as well, i.e. walking in the park or in the underground tram. Naturally, I am no audiophile and need some guidance in which headphone would be optimal for me. I think I would appreciate if the phone had a wide soundstage as well. Ask me any questions and if you have one for sale I'll consider buying it (but don't try and sell me please!).

I'm leaning towards an Ultrasone hfi 580, but really I am unsure!

Thanks in advance for any feedback, 

Cheers!

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 11
Buy ATH-M50, they are really good for the price, I have them myself. If you like super-loud sound, then you need an amp or other headphones, like PX-100 which are really good too for the price, but they are not closed.

Good luck,

J

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
To me it looks like you have 3 options:

1) Go to the Apple store and buy the most expensive headphones you can find. Chances are you get what you pay for.

2) Use the headphones which came with your itouch 2g. I heard during an Apple presentation at Cal that the ipods etc come with excellent headphones.

3) Buy ATH-M50, they are really good for the price. If you are lucky you find an online store which sells these phones super-cheap, direct shipment from china.

Good luck,

J

Wow, you should have more than 2 posts before you are allowed to post something like this, the dude apparently doesn't know what a search bar is but still..

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 11
ibuds ? really?  To if you wanna closed unamped headphone I guess Ultrastone is ur best bet, since I haven't notice much hps in that area besides Ultrastone. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 11
The Ultrasones will be great for trance and dubstep. However, jazz isn't really it's strong point and so isn't classical due to their closed nature. However, they work well with acoustic.

More details in the review in my sig if you need it.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 11
The new sony Z1000 also worth looking.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

Hey everyone, it's my first post here and my first headphone purchase (soon). I'm looking for a well priced ( < $300 ) closed headphone (can be used) for listening to music on my ipod touch 2G and my computer. This means I will NOT be using an amp. Typically I listen to genres such as GOA/psycho trance, dubstep, downtempo/acid jazz, and classical. I would deduce that I would need a headphone that is good at handling bass. I want to be using it in public as well, i.e. walking in the park or in the underground tram. Naturally, I am no audiophile and need some guidance in which headphone would be optimal for me. I think I would appreciate if the phone had a wide soundstage as well. Ask me any questions and if you have one for sale I'll consider buying it (but don't try and sell me please!).

I'm leaning towards an Ultrasone hfi 580, but really I am unsure!

Thanks in advance for any feedback, 

Cheers!

Heya,

I think the HFI 580 would do well for you. It has a good sound stage for a closed headphone, so you get sound stage and isolation which is nice. It's easy to drive. It's pretty bassy. It's good and detailed. It looks boss. So don't hesitate, it's only $130 new, get her shipped and start listening to the music.

Very best,

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks everyone.

To anyone who's interested, I ended up getting the US 780s paired with a d4 because I heard the 780s improve with an amp and I need the DAC to listen off my computer :wink:
When they arrive, I'll see how it goes and most likely expand my collection from there, trading phones until I find my fave.

Quote:
To me it looks like you have 3 options:

1) Go to the Apple store and buy the most expensive headphones you can find. Chances are you get what you pay for.

2) Use the headphones which came with your itouch 2g. I heard during an Apple presentation at Cal that the ipods etc come with excellent headphones.

3) Buy ATH-M50, they are really good for the price. If you are lucky you find an online store which sells these phones super-cheap, direct shipment from china.

Good luck,

J

Well, I laughed :)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back