Help me decide on my first amp
Apr 19, 2011 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MikeK5117

New Head-Fier
I am wanting to purchase my first portable amp. I currently use either a 4th gen ipod, 5.5th gen ipod, or ipod touch (touch is mostly just for streaming from my home network) as the source. Plus I have Macbook pro when I travel. Currently I only use IEM's (SE 215's and TF10's). 

I had originally decided on an iBasso D4 for SQ but not sure if I will like the non-rechargable, short life-time battery although I can appreciate the advantage that the 9V battery brings. Other 2 choices wold be the D6 and D12. I like the D12 for the optical input that I can use with my MBP and that it will charge via the USB which is great for traveling. I like the D6 for the higher voltage battery (better swing and more power) especially if I ever buy a set of regular headphones. 

Music choices mostly classic rock, country, blue grass, classic metal, some alternative, jazz-rock some pop-rock. No death-metal or dance. Rarely a bit of classic.

I am heavily leaning to the D12 but thought I would ask group opinion first before I place my order. The D4 is still interesting mostly due to the price.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 6
Are you looking for an amp with built-in DAC as well?
I own a iBasso D4, rolled OPAMP to a OPA1612. With stock opamp my Corda XXS was a little better, except for the mids.
With the opa1612 I prefer the D4.
The Corda XXS runs on a 9V battery as well and supposed to run for 100 hours on a single 9V battery. I have not tested it but I guess it's more like 25 to 40 hours, still very impressive. The XXS is warmer so it might be a better combo with RE0 or some bright sounding IEM/headphone. I only use my D4 with USB though.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes, if I could feed the internal amp via an internal DAC this would be great for using my computers as source. USB minimum although since I use MAC and have the native optical output this could be a nice added feature ie of the D12.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 6
From what I have read, the difference in USB on the D4 and optical on the D10 is unnoticable. I don't know if it's also true D4 vs D12, but D12 has quite a higher cost.
I love the DAC in the D4, I can finally enjoy music on my laptop, my soundcard wasn't without noise.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 6
No real budget but I am not really into this enough to spend really big dollars. I have no problem with either of the D6 or D12 price wise. I like the price of the D4 but by the time I invest in a couple of good rechargable 9V's I might as well buy one of the others and get the updated features. 

My concerns with the D6 are that it will vastly overpower my IEMs and it won't run on USB. I think the D12 will be my choice but have not pulled the trigger yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back