Help me decide: Concero vs Bifrost Uber
Mar 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DaemonSire

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All
I'm looking to pick up a new DAC and have settled on either the Concero or Bifrost Uber.  I'll largely be using it over USB, but may use it via Coax too.

I've been reading review and searching the threads, but haven't found a good direct comparison between the two.  I've seen the question asked in other threads, but no real follow-up answers.

If anyone has heard both, I would love to hear any thoughts between the two of them.  Ideally, I'd like to compare the regular Concero (non-HD) as they are fairly similar in price.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Concero as I like the small form factor and filters.

If it matters, I will be using it with a HE500, Q701 and will likely be picking up a HD650 at some point.  As I've heard that the Bifrost Uber leans a bit to the warmer side (as compared to the more neutral Concero), I think the Concero will likely be a better fit?

So let's hear.....Canadian-made Concero vs US-made Bifrost :)

May 8, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 6
You kind of answered your own question, the Concero would be a better dac for you. If you want portable in any way shape or form the Bifrost isn't going to do it for you. I think the Concero is a little bit more detailed of a dac, not night and day, but still. The Bifrost as you already mentioned is a bit warmer which to me translates into better bass. I got the Bifrost but mainly because I already had a Lyr and the two matched in appearance.

May 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Since I posted that question, I've actually started to go a different route.  I think I'm going to go with the Audio-GD NFB3(2014).  The free TCXO upgrades make it too inviting.

Plus you can get it with 2 RCA outs as opposed to 1.  And does DSD (not that I really care about that, but it is nice to have if needed).  10 years support.  And one of the big selling points - they'll cover shipping both ways for the first year if there is any issue.

I think at this price point, they are all good contenders and are likely all extremely similar in performance.  The additional features that the NFB3 has over the other two are winning me over.  The 2 RCA outs is a handy thing to have - 1 going to a tube amp, 1 going to a SS amp.

I haven't placed my order yet, so I may still change my mind... :) 

May 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 6
  Since I posted that question, I've actually started to go a different route.  I think I'm going to go with the Audio-GD NFB3(2014).  The free TCXO upgrades make it too inviting.

Plus you can get it with 2 RCA outs as opposed to 1.  And does DSD (not that I really care about that, but it is nice to have if needed).  10 years support.  And one of the big selling points - they'll cover shipping both ways for the first year if there is any issue.

I think at this price point, they are all good contenders and are likely all extremely similar in performance.  The additional features that the NFB3 has over the other two are winning me over.  The 2 RCA outs is a handy thing to have - 1 going to a tube amp, 1 going to a SS amp.

I haven't placed my order yet, so I may still change my mind... :) 

I see very few negative comments on Audio GD stuff. I have been looking at it myself and even with the shipping hassle and the problems you might have if you have to ship it back for repair, it still is looking real good. I have always wanted to try a sabre dac of some type and from what I hear they do a real good job with that chip in their units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back