Help me create a high-end setup from nothing!
Jun 25, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 32
Is a Cambridge Audio 640C v2 a good source? From what I've read, it is extremely competitive in it's price range. I'm buying in Canada so it was more expensive of course, but I got it around the same price I could get it for online. It has dual 24 bit/96khz upsampling DAC's, and I've read about some mods on the forums here that can boost the sound quality even more.

Is the SR-001 that much better than the Shure SE530's? I would be rather depressed if it is... Also, I'm not sure I want to rely on double A batteries to power the driver unit.

The O2/717 completely blows my budget. The HD800's are ~$1500 in Canada, and come to $1800 CDN after tax, to give you an idea of the exchange rates here.

I am fascinated by the electrostatics, but I'm also wary because:

a) I've never heard them before.
b) Every single Stax owner seems to be completely biased in their favour.

I'd have to hear them first. I'm going to the meet in Vancouver this Saturday. Had to ask my boss if I could get to work an hour late
tongue_smile.gif
. I was wondering if there are any electrostat owners in the Vancouver area that wouldn't mind me demoing their setup sometime.

Thank you for all the responses.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #17 of 32
I'm beginning to feel like stats and possibly orthos are the best deals in mid-fi. The speed and smoothness are ridiculous. Honestly, the only disadvantages imo are the inability for the stat amps to go into your regular audio chain, and their general ugliness.
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't listen to people who tell you they have bass issues: many regular dynamics have bass issues, too.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #18 of 32
Berlioz;5791637 said:
Is the SR-001 that much better than the Shure SE530's? I would be rather depressed if it is... Also, I'm not sure I want to rely on double A batteries to power the driver unit.

Fully charged AA's are pretty good. These phones are quite efficient as stats go.

I don't know the Shures. Some IEMs sound fast to my ears, rather like stats. A while back I was travelling by plane with the 001 and a Sennheisser IEM which I thought was pretty good with a near stat sound. The 001 gives a modest amount of isolation but not as much as the Senn's which I used while the plane was in the air (about 10 hours.) However even though the Senns sounded good in casual listening they just didn't deliver the goods that the 001 did and I was sad to put the 001's away each time I had to get back on the plane.

Thats' cause the more you listen, the less likely you are to want anything else.
QUOTE]

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #19 of 32
I'm almost looking for the same thing as you. A dac + amplifier + headphones around 2000-2400$. I'm living in a pretty small town in Sweden, but there are stores that have hd-600, hd-650, AKG-701 and Beyerdynamics in stock.

Yesterday I tested the AKG 701 and the Beyer dt880, it was under bad circumstances but I prefered the DT880. It feelt like the DT880 played clearer and more open, and not as "swollen" in the bass as the 701. The bas was just there, doing it's thing rather than taking over the scene.

I think it was the 250ohm version of DT880, I wonder how the 600ohm sounds like. Especially with some silver cabeling
biggrin.gif

As for the amplifier and dac. After reading alot, the larvy DA10 seems to be a good candidate for me. Maybe for you too.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 32
I can vouch for Uncle Erik's approach. I have about the same amount of disposable cash as you but I have not gone straight into the high-end. I have got several phones and made several mistakes, but the experience was priceless. I can guarantee that you will waste your money if you don't take the time and find what is the right kind of headphone, amp, source, etc for your tastes and budget. Money is never wasted if you gain valuable experience from trying stuff out. I know this is also true in my other hobby ... there are tons of people who have never owned a bike before and buy a GSX-R1000 as their first one! 9 times out of 10 they sell it in a few months.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 32
Look used too.. There are also specific genre headphones like the 501/DT48 that can better the more expensive headphones in certain genres like Jazz/classical.. & for 100-150 are a steal if you are a Jazz/classical fan.. You can then focus on the source, which is number 1 IMO, & a great amp..

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #22 of 32
For years we were told the speakers make all the difference in sound. Few knew then and maybe few know now but.......The Source Is The Most Important. Sorry I do not have an equipment list for you. There's my 2¢.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For years we were told the speakers make all the difference in sound. Few knew then and maybe few know now but.......The Source Is The Most Important. Sorry I do not have an equipment list for you. There's my 2¢.

Well, that's not really true either. Everything makes a difference! But if it´s a small, big, better or worse difference, that´s another thing

Jun 30, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a Cambridge Audio 640C v2 a good source? From what I've read, it is extremely competitive in it's price range. I'm buying in Canada so it was more expensive of course, but I got it around the same price I could get it for online. It has dual 24 bit/96khz upsampling DAC's, and I've read about some mods on the forums here that can boost the sound quality even more.

Never heard the 640c, but I ran the O2/717 off the 840c and there were some very noticeable problems - digital glare, overemphasized highs, and a very glossy artificial texture. Though on the whole the player was good, especially with orchestral classical music.

Quote:

Yes, it is. Though it's also very different. It sounds more like a full-sized headphone and is extremely lush and liquid sounding. The practicality problems are unfortunately inherent in the design since a portable electrostatic headphone/amp combo that runs off AA batteries is about as crazy as a 150mph car that gets 150mpg. Doable with today's technology but you will have to make some sacrifices.

Quote:

That's because dynamics have a grain to their sound which you usually don't hear but which definitely becomes noticeable and annoying after you've had long-term exposure to electrostatics. Dynamics also aren't as capable of resolving multple passages simultaneously and will buckle under an intense musical load. But on the other hand 'stats also have their problems and can sound anemic and thin when they aren't given enough power.

'Stats are very different from one another just as dynamics are, and I wouldn't advise just grabbing any random 'stat and making up your mind about the sound. Rather, go to a meet or a Stax dealer and hear things firsthand. With this much money on the line it makes sense to be a bit more cautious.

All of this strictly IMO of course.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Source Is The Most Important.

That's not really true; headphones are at least as important. It's good advice for newbs, though, because they almost always have garbage sources with good headphones.

Maybe you mean it's a good idea that your source cost more than your amp and phones. I'd agree with that.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 32
Thank you for all the responses.

For headphones, I placed an order for the Grado HF2's. I've had the opportunity to spend more time with Grado headphones, and I found the higher end models to be more acceptable. They are definitely coloured, but it's a nice colouring, and I plan to get a set of analytical headphones in the future to complement them. The HF2's will see limited production, so the price can only increase on them. If I truly despise the headphone, I can wait a bit and get more than I paid for it later. I doubt that will happen though. Their price is reasonable, they look great, and should sound awesome.

For my analytical headphones I'll wait. HD800's are already seeing price drops, and the Ed 8's are out, AKG is supposedly releasing a new flagship in 2010, etc. I'm going to wait for a good while and see which ones outlive the hype, and also demo some electrostatics.

For the amp, I'm going to stick with my vintage receiver for now. After people start to get their HF2's, I'll pay close attention to what amps match well with them. I'll also be looking for something that could pair well with my future analytical headphones. The DNA Sonnet looks good so far.

For the source, I can't help but feel I jumped the gun. The CD player has received excellent reviews, and I'm sure a tube amp could warm it up a bit. However, there are always better sources out there. I understand that standalone DAC's carry a superior price to performance ratio, but I like inserting CD's into the player. Call me crazy, but it's just personal preference.

I'll also be looking for a turntable. I understand that the Technics SL-1200 series is quite good for the price, but I'll undoubtedly be doing more research and demoing plenty of tables before I make my decision.

Thanks for all the help.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While WM8470s can handle input of 24/192, CA 640C V2 is not an upsampling CDP.

might as well take a closer look at the Nad C565BEE, it's an upsampling CDP with optical input.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #29 of 32
Sorry. The only reason I didn't respond to that one is that it completely destroys my budget. $1200 US is $1562 Canadian after all taxes are applied.

In the future, I may look towards it, but SACD is out of my price range for now. Also, I'm uncertain regarding the lifespan of the format.

You seem to be pretty confident about it though, so if I may ask, what makes it so damn good?

I think I should cancel my order for the CD player. I'll feel like complete fool, but whatever, that's my punishment for making a stupid purchase.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 32
my first nice turntable, a Thorens TD 160, found it on E-bay for $100.00. Added Shure cart. Great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back