Help me convince my friend not to buy Beats by Dr. Dre!
Aug 24, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #17 of 26
I'm willing to bet that most people here bashing them haven't even heard them.

I haven't heard them either, but it never hurts to demo them (using your own player preferably).

It would also depend on the price. If it's low enough it may be reasonable.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #20 of 26
They honestly aren't that terrible for price (I would never buy them, but still). For $250 you are getting active noise canceling, and a built in bass/treble booster.

I heard them in an apple store and I feel like they would be pretty decent for mainstream rap/hiphop

To be clear, I would never recommend them to anyone, because they are still overpriced (I just feel that people are exaggerating here)

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 26
It's not the biggest loss of $250... there may not be much you can do, though. Non-audiophiles are non-audiophiles.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #22 of 26
Maybe you can show her some pictures? The ones at their website look gorgeous, these were taken after 3 months of careful use (the Dres were a gift for my kid who fell for the images and the endorser).

Monster is a music cable company, isn't it?

Falling out of the small screws is inevitable. They are designed this way.

Plastic on the headband looks and feels great.

Oh, and also the sound is terrible.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #23 of 26
You can find those kind of pictures for any headphone
careful and kid don't go together
wink.gif

If it's just looks she's after it is not much use, these Beats do have a certain likability to them that many other headphones just don't have. Show here some pictures of ES7 ESW9 etc

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #25 of 26
I had upgraded from the HD 595 to the Beats by Dre, and loved them. It's hard to compare to other headphones as there aren't many that have active noise cancellation plus a built in amp. However, even for purely sound quality, I was pleasantly surprised and preferred them much more than to the 595's. If your friend is into rap, she'll really like them. The bass extension is amazing, it doesn't feel bloated or excessive to me.

However, since then, I've upgraded to the HD 650 and they blow away the Beats in ever aspect (except maybe lows). However, considering the Beats don't need an amp (I've tried them with the Total Bithead, and noticed absolutely nothing different), have active noise cancellation, and are what all the cool kids want, it may not be the worst idea getting them. When I sold mine to get the HD 650, I got $270 for them. I paid $300. Plus, they're headphones you can wear out in public. Wearing the HD 650's really aren't an option because a) They sound horrible without an amp and b) I'd just look weird.

Anyhow, ask her to visit a local audio store and audition may different headphones before taking the plunge on a $300 pair. If she still wants the Beats, then that's probably what's best for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back