Help me convince my friend not to buy Beats by Dr. Dre!
Aug 24, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 26
They're manufactured by the same company that makes Monster Cables ... it's pretty clear they're a cynical branding exercise made by a company that doesn't care about audio, just about bilking money from impressionable young kids who see "Dr. Dre" and decide it must be a good product.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 26
If she tried them out and likes them then I don't see the problem.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 26
Let her hear headphones that sound just as good (or very close, in her opinion) for less. Some people just can't get by the brand/price until they hear something else.

Like Bose...it's a name/price thing. Not quality (well, it is in THEIR opinion).

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 26
does she really care about sound quality? a lot of people don't care that much (I've learned this from talking to friends about skullcandy)

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 26
I disagree with the statement that if she likes them it doesn't matter. She may only like them because she thinks she should because of 1) label and 2) price. Dr. Dre is sponsoring these headphones and he is charging $300. They must be good!

What I would do is ask her to hold off for a few days and take her to a some nearby stores where she can demo some real headphones. I was about to buy a pair of Skullcandy Skullcrushers, but posted on the forums first. After about two weeks of reading reviews of other headphones, I actually went to a store (Daddy's Junky Music) and tried out the DT770. Amazing headphones that blew me away. They crush the Beats by Dr. Dre and cost half the price.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 26
DON'T BUY THEM!

...I hope that helps... =P

Alright, in all reality, if she wants to buy them then it's her choice. The beats aren't bad...just a little overpriced in my opinion. However, they're much better than the QC3s. I think if I was going to buy an expensive active NC headphone, I would get either the beats or maybe something from Sennheiser or AT.

Let her know there are other options that sound good as well as the beats for a lot less. If she likes heavy bass, the AKG 81DJ's block out a good amount of noise and are pretty bassy, as is the DT-770/80 both of which are a lot less than the beats.

Hope that ACTUALLY helps.

-Nylan

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 26
Sadly this is a friend I don't live near, so I can't have her listen to my headphones. I just needed some people to back me up on the fact that there are much better headphones for the money.

She pretty much only wants the Beats because of how they look. Which I can't understand, because IMO the beats are the ugly.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 26
In my experience, it's not worth the effort convincing women out of buying something they want because it looks nicer. They'll do it regardless.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, it's not worth the effort convincing women out of buying something they want because it looks nicer. They'll do it regardless.

Quoted for truth.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 26
Game over - let her buy 'em and move on.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 26
I think the BEATS sound pretty decent so you need to present her with an alternative that's cheaper/better/prettier.

e.g. Hfi-780, ESW9, ES7,...

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 26
How could someone ever want the Beats because of how they look? They look so bland and boring.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 26
How much do you guys think Dr. Dre worth?
Beats by Dr. Dre is easy to drive (no need for an amp), does good job at hip-hop/pop - and a fashion accessory!!! Some places sell it below $250.
XXII suggests Hfi-780, ESW9, ES7 - does Hfi-780 worth $150 more than ES7? You bet, some don't think so. (I don't mean to offend anyone, sorry, if anyone feels bad.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back