help me complete this setup
Jul 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cck5

500+ Head-Fier
i want to start my setup from scratch again. and would like to know how you would complete this setup.  i already own an ipod touch and a laptop (with horrible soundcard)

i want to use grado 325I as my cans and either my ipod or laptop as source.

with $500 what would you add to this setup.. amp, soundcard etc.

can you reccomend specific amps and soundcards or whatever else you think would help make a great desktop setup.

thanks

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 9
A used Mapletree Ear+ HD would run at or under $500.  Excellent synergy with Grados.  Then save up to upgrade your source (external dac for example).

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 9
What do you think of the current sound of your SR325i's?  Do you find the detail just right, or do you find them a bit bright?  Would you rather them sound a bit warmer?

$500 is quite a bit to work with considering your current source & amplification.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 9
love the 325I my fav grado ive listened to so far including the 80I 225I. the bass on them is great and i love the true grado feel to them.

im thinking a nice dac amp combo to help bring them out fully. since my laptop soundcard is **** and ive only driven them through an ipod.

was thinking a nice portable amp like a pico dac/amp or RSA amp.... but i feel with them same money a desktop amp could bring me more value since i wont be traveling with them.

so was thinking a nice headroom stationary amp in this pricerange... would the quality be much different from a good portable vs similary priced desktop amp. my goal is a nice stationary setup.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
love the 325I my fav grado ive listened to so far including the 80I 225I. the bass on them is great and i love the true grado feel to them.

im thinking a nice dac amp combo to help bring them out fully. since my laptop soundcard is **** and ive only driven them through an ipod.

was thinking a nice portable amp like a pico dac/amp or RSA amp.... but i feel with them same money a desktop amp could bring me more value since i wont be traveling with them.

so was thinking a nice headroom stationary amp in this pricerange... would the quality be much different from a good portable vs similary priced desktop amp. my goal is a nice stationary setup.

FiiO E7+E9 combo

Not too sure if very good with Grado, but very good amps and DAC.

Then if you don't already, get some G-cush pads for you grado

Save the rest for your next Can purchase

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 9
wont be buying another can, i really enjoy my current IEM  and this home setup will be great once i get my hands on it.

i cant help but to think the fiio e7 e9 combo could be outdone by something else in a similar price range.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
wont be buying another can, i really enjoy my current IEM  and this home setup will be great once i get my hands on it.

i cant help but to think the fiio e7 e9 combo could be outdone by something else in a similar price range.

Tot get a portable and desktop amp that go together and are very valuable for their price is asking a lot. A good amp starts at $200 and best if tube. Solid state amps start higher. DAC also start at $200. This is GOOD amp/DAC. The FiiO E7+E9 are worth more then that.

You can't beat it when you need a USB DAC and an amp.

Then you can get a pair of IEM's and have a portable amp to take with you and a desktop amp to stay at home.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Heya,

Grado SR325's will love the Matrix Cube DAC.

You don't really need a crazy amp for the Grados. I would focus more on getting a nice DAC behind them and get the signal processing off that laptop. The Cube DAC is an excellent DAC for the price. It happens to also have a decent amplifier built in for monitoring. Otherwise, you can feed a different amp. In your budget range, I'd look at the Matrix M-Stage or if you want some tube warmth, go after the Little Dot MK III.

Very best,

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 9
For $500 with the SR325is, I would go with the Bellari HA540 and an HRT Music Streamer II. That would leave you with $50 for interconnects (including a SendStation PocketDock if you want to connect your iPod to your amp). Buying components is more fun and enables you to follow separate upgrade paths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back