Help Me Complete My (Planned) Portable Setup!
Jul 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chekrdnickrs

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, new Head-Fier here!

I've just finished buying my home setup - Laptop > Modi 2 > Magni 3 > HD6XX (Still on the way) - and am now looking at putting money aside to improve my current portable rig, which is merely an AK70 (not the MkII, the first one) and wired Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s.

While this did help me get off to a start on my quest to be a wannabe audiophile I now realize how much better I can do.

I intend to buy a Chord Mojo to go with the AK70, but what headphone would be the best to complete this portable setup? Am obviously looking for an easy to transport, closed-back pair. I haven't given IEMs much thought, as based on experience, they start to 'tickle' the inside of my ears after a while, and I become an easy target for getting them yanked by colleagues looking for a laugh.

Obviously, I will mostly be using this setup whenever I'm not at home - commuting to the office, in the office and the occasional chillout at the nearest Starbucks.

There is literally only one audiophile-friendly shop in the entirety of my country, and they only have old B&W models, some Grados, Sennheisers and Audezes, so I don't really have the option of audtioning a wide variety.

I read good things about the PM-3s, would they be great for the AK70 x MoJo?

Thanks for your time!

Jul 9, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi there,
I don't have any recommendations to speak of... I don't want to steer you away from the PM-3, necessarily, but I do at least want to make you aware of some of their issues.

First, Oppo Digital (makers of personal audio equipment and Blu-Ray players, not smartphones) is no longer in business and therefor the PM-3 are only available used or for exorbitant prices. Not that there's anything wrong with buying used.

Further, there are complaints of the protein leather falling apart in hot, humid climates. Looks like where you are is pretty hot and humid all year. There are pad swaps, etc., that allegedly solve those problems and are outlined in the official PM-3 thread, if you're interested.

Third, I find them to be uncomfortably hot and sweaty as soon as temperatures and humidity start to climb. Your tolerance may be higher than mine, of course.

Also, if you wear glasses/sunglasses, I find that it can significantly impact the sound in a negative way-- especially the bass.

Finally-- and this is just my personal preference, so please take this with a grain of salt-- soundwise, I don't find them to be as good as the HD 650 (same as your HD 6XX). I don't find the PM-3 to be particularly detailed; the bass is decent and linear if-- and only if-- you can get a good seal, though sub-bass is rolled off; the mids are slightly recessed, giving them a vaguely distant feeling; and treble is very, very soft. Of course, others disagree and hear things differently, as may you. I just found that this is all stuff that doesn't seem to be mentioned much in reviews or in the hype-filled chatter. And I'm going to say it a third time: this is all my personal experience, and you might completely agree or disagree.

And as something of an aside: I've not heard the AK70 nor the Mojo, but based on the couple of reviews I've read of the AK70, it seems like adding the Mojo might be overkill. Maybe? I'm sure others will disagree. Just beware of people hyping the Mojo as the Second Coming.
If I were you, I'd focus on finding the right set of cans first.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 11
Well, I disagree with some of the above regarding the sound of the PM-3 and the Mojo, but I'll skip going into it beyond that. Clearly you've heard the reasons why you might like it (since it's on your short list of options) so it doesn't hurt to read some counter-arguments.

I do want to say that the Chord Mojo is (in my humble opinion) better than your desktop system. I think it deserves a much better headphone than the PM-3 (even though I like the PM-3 for what it is). I'd recommend a AEON closed to go with it. The Mojo+AEON combo is what I use at work daily and when I'm travelling occasionally. I realize that's way more expensive than your PM-3 option, but I don't know what your budget is so I'm just throwing it out there.

One thing I often recommend (and often see recommended) is that you should spend more on your headphones than your source chain if you want the best bang for your buck. The Mojo is high enough quality to drive flagship headphones; if you are listening with $200 headphones, it's kind of a waste of money. You could get better overall SQ with a $400-500 headphone and a $200 amp/DAC like a Dragonfly Red.

Just some food for thought.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 11
As I said, people are going to disagree with me. I just wanted to put my perspective out there. I know I'm not alone.

Also, anybody that yanks out your earphones because they're "looking for a laugh" should be slapped in the face. You know, for a laugh.

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 11
Hi there,
I don't have any recommendations to speak of... I don't want to steer you away from the PM-3, necessarily, but I do at least want to make you aware of some of their issues.

First, Oppo Digital (makers of personal audio equipment and Blu-Ray players, not smartphones) is no longer in business and therefor the PM-3 are only available used or for exorbitant prices. Not that there's anything wrong with buying used.

Further, there are complaints of the protein leather falling apart in hot, humid climates. Looks like where you are is pretty hot and humid all year. There are pad swaps, etc., that allegedly solve those problems and are outlined in the official PM-3 thread, if you're interested.

Third, I find them to be uncomfortably hot and sweaty as soon as temperatures and humidity start to climb. Your tolerance may be higher than mine, of course.

Also, if you wear glasses/sunglasses, I find that it can significantly impact the sound in a negative way-- especially the bass.

Finally-- and this is just my personal preference, so please take this with a grain of salt-- soundwise, I don't find them to be as good as the HD 650 (same as your HD 6XX). I don't find the PM-3 to be particularly detailed; the bass is decent and linear if-- and only if-- you can get a good seal, though sub-bass is rolled off; the mids are slightly recessed, giving them a vaguely distant feeling; and treble is very, very soft. Of course, others disagree and hear things differently, as may you. I just found that this is all stuff that doesn't seem to be mentioned much in reviews or in the hype-filled chatter. And I'm going to say it a third time: this is all my personal experience, and you might completely agree or disagree.

And as something of an aside: I've not heard the AK70 nor the Mojo, but based on the couple of reviews I've read of the AK70, it seems like adding the Mojo might be overkill. Maybe? I'm sure others will disagree. Just beware of people hyping the Mojo as the Second Coming.
If I were you, I'd focus on finding the right set of cans first.

Hi wow thanks so much for your detailed reply! I honestly am quite new to the world of audiophile equipment, and haven't much experience or reference for comparison outside of my AK70 and Momentums. Like I said in the OP everything is more or less still hypothetical/in planning, so I am definitely open to suggestions.

What else would you recommend? Budget won't be the biggest issue, but it would mean I take more time to save the money up is all. Definitely something to bring the most out of the AK70 and MoJo without putting them to shame, price-wise!

Well, I disagree with some of the above regarding the sound of the PM-3 and the Mojo, but I'll skip going into it beyond that. Clearly you've heard the reasons why you might like it (since it's on your short list of options) so it doesn't hurt to read some counter-arguments.

I do want to say that the Chord Mojo is (in my humble opinion) better than your desktop system. I think it deserves a much better headphone than the PM-3 (even though I like the PM-3 for what it is). I'd recommend a AEON closed to go with it. The Mojo+AEON combo is what I use at work daily and when I'm travelling occasionally. I realize that's way more expensive than your PM-3 option, but I don't know what your budget is so I'm just throwing it out there.

One thing I often recommend (and often see recommended) is that you should spend more on your headphones than your source chain if you want the best bang for your buck. The Mojo is high enough quality to drive flagship headphones; if you are listening with $200 headphones, it's kind of a waste of money. You could get better overall SQ with a $400-500 headphone and a $200 amp/DAC like a Dragonfly Red.

Just some food for thought.

Hey wow the Aeons look interesting! I saw a few posts saying great things about Mr. Speakers in general but my first instinct was that they were out of my price league. However, if they are worth the money, then saving up for them shouldn't be an issue. I can use what I currently have until such time I can buy them anyway!

Yeah once I get the Mojo to go with my AK70 I doubt I'd be buying anything else in this part of the chain for a long time! I've had this AK70 since March last year, and am hoping it'll last me a good long time yet!

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 11
I'll throw another suggestion your way, at least when it comes to a portable amp/DAC. I owned the Mojo, and think it was really special, but I would take the FiiO Q5 over it without any hesitation. It isn't that it sounds better (or worse) than the Mojo, it has a different signature, essentially neutral whereas the Mojo to my ears was deliberately a little warm sounding, which was lovely. I would take the Q5 because it is modular, I think it sounds as good as the Mojo (just different) and the Bluetooth implementation is fantastic as is the sound quality of Bluetooth. I can't tell wired from wireless and that has been tested with a few really nice headphones and very well recorded, dynamic music.

I think given that the Q5 is extremely well made, amp modules will continue to come, it has Bluetooth, great looks (sorry Mojo, I think the Q5 cleans your clock in the looks department) and it is actually more portable in terms of stacking if you so desire. Don't discount how amazing it can be to simply use a smartphone as a source. Stream Apt x to the Q5 and tell me that it doesn't sound amazing. Really worth considering mate.

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 11
The Mojo feels well made, but I really do think the Q5 feels (and looks) like a more premium product and given that you don't have to sacrifice sound quality with the Q5, at least I don't think so, the Q5 is a solid choice. Did I mention that it has killer Bluetooth abilities? If you want to add Bluetooth to the Mojo via Poly, which does provide more functionality than just Bluetooth, but that comes at an additional, and not insignificant cost. The PM3 by the way was a really nice headphone. I had the Aeon Flow Closed here and I wish I had given it more time. It didn't really stand out to me, but, I didn't give it enough time and I do know that many people really like it so I do wish I had given it more head time. Good luck with however you decide to go, and Mojo or Q5, you still get a great sounding device so no wrong choice.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 11
I'll throw another suggestion your way, at least when it comes to a portable amp/DAC. I owned the Mojo, and think it was really special, but I would take the FiiO Q5 over it without any hesitation. It isn't that it sounds better (or worse) than the Mojo, it has a different signature, essentially neutral whereas the Mojo to my ears was deliberately a little warm sounding, which was lovely. I would take the Q5 because it is modular, I think it sounds as good as the Mojo (just different) and the Bluetooth implementation is fantastic as is the sound quality of Bluetooth. I can't tell wired from wireless and that has been tested with a few really nice headphones and very well recorded, dynamic music.

I think given that the Q5 is extremely well made, amp modules will continue to come, it has Bluetooth, great looks (sorry Mojo, I think the Q5 cleans your clock in the looks department) and it is actually more portable in terms of stacking if you so desire. Don't discount how amazing it can be to simply use a smartphone as a source. Stream Apt x to the Q5 and tell me that it doesn't sound amazing. Really worth considering mate.

The Mojo feels well made, but I really do think the Q5 feels (and looks) like a more premium product and given that you don't have to sacrifice sound quality with the Q5, at least I don't think so, the Q5 is a solid choice. Did I mention that it has killer Bluetooth abilities? If you want to add Bluetooth to the Mojo via Poly, which does provide more functionality than just Bluetooth, but that comes at an additional, and not insignificant cost. The PM3 by the way was a really nice headphone. I had the Aeon Flow Closed here and I wish I had given it more time. It didn't really stand out to me, but, I didn't give it enough time and I do know that many people really like it so I do wish I had given it more head time. Good luck with however you decide to go, and Mojo or Q5, you still get a great sounding device so no wrong choice.

Hey there wow thanks so much for your detailed replies! It seems everyone on these forums really knows their stuff and knows how to explain everything!

Perhaps one of the main reasons I am currently opting for a Mojo is because it's available at the one and only hi-fi shop in my country, making it immediately available and also eligible for warranty. But yes I'll have a look at the Fiio! I only read of it in passing, but the Chord Mojo and how simple yet effective it looks caught me from the first moment I decided to look at ways to improve my sound.

I'd really rather not use my phone as the source - not when I already have invested in an AK70! I really don't mind the idea of carrying an AK70 x Mojo around - I already get lots of "my gosh I thought this was a digicam!" reactions for my DAP, what more would a Mojo bring?!

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 11
Hey there wow thanks so much for your detailed replies! It seems everyone on these forums really knows their stuff and knows how to explain everything!

Perhaps one of the main reasons I am currently opting for a Mojo is because it's available at the one and only hi-fi shop in my country, making it immediately available and also eligible for warranty. But yes I'll have a look at the Fiio! I only read of it in passing, but the Chord Mojo and how simple yet effective it looks caught me from the first moment I decided to look at ways to improve my sound.

I'd really rather not use my phone as the source - not when I already have invested in an AK70! I really don't mind the idea of carrying an AK70 x Mojo around - I already get lots of "my gosh I thought this was a digicam!" reactions for my DAP, what more would a Mojo bring?!
Yes the Mojo will get looks for sure. I hear you about using your DAP, but once you get another device you really are bypassing all the internals anyway and essentially using the DAP as just a transport anyway. I would personally keep the DAP for those standalone on the go needs, but if your considering the Mojo you will be using it I assume as both DAC and amp so the AK becomes a transport only, so in essence it could just be a phone as the source. I would also consider, if it were me, selling the AK if I had a decent phone with enough storage space. I love the screen size of my phone, the Onkyo player (or Neutron) software is amazing so there is nothing transport wise that any DAP offers that is better. Give it some careful thought, if you don't need the actual on the go portability of the DAP, sell it. If you invest in a good portable DAC/amp like the Mojo or Q5 and you are at a computer anyway when you are listening to music the independence of a DAP is wasted. Anyway, you have lots of options, sell the DAP keep the DAP, use a phone etc. You'll be happy no matter what I'm sure.

Another thing to consider is that if you ever can see yourself selling the DAP the longer you wait, the more the value drops as newer and often far less expensive options come along putting downward pressure on what you can ask for the AK. Maybe in your marketplace with less competition you can ask more, that is also possible. Again, I say consider how often you need the full independence of a DAP and if it is not that often, maybe options are worth considering? Cheers.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 11
Yes the Mojo will get looks for sure. I hear you about using your DAP, but once you get another device you really are bypassing all the internals anyway and essentially using the DAP as just a transport anyway. I would personally keep the DAP for those standalone on the go needs, but if your considering the Mojo you will be using it I assume as both DAC and amp so the AK becomes a transport only, so in essence it could just be a phone as the source. I would also consider, if it were me, selling the AK if I had a decent phone with enough storage space. I love the screen size of my phone, the Onkyo player (or Neutron) software is amazing so there is nothing transport wise that any DAP offers that is better. Give it some careful thought, if you don't need the actual on the go portability of the DAP, sell it. If you invest in a good portable DAC/amp like the Mojo or Q5 and you are at a computer anyway when you are listening to music the independence of a DAP is wasted. Anyway, you have lots of options, sell the DAP keep the DAP, use a phone etc. You'll be happy no matter what I'm sure.

Another thing to consider is that if you ever can see yourself selling the DAP the longer you wait, the more the value drops as newer and often far less expensive options come along putting downward pressure on what you can ask for the AK. Maybe in your marketplace with less competition you can ask more, that is also possible. Again, I say consider how often you need the full independence of a DAP and if it is not that often, maybe options are worth considering? Cheers.

My phone is a pretty crappy Lenovo P2 that I bought during a Pokemon Go phase that didn't last very long (Brunei absolutely sucks for the game, weather-wise). I was more than happy to buy an AK70 at the time because I love how it reminded me of the good old iPod days. I am definitely more than happy to keep this DAP purely as a transport, getting a DAC to bypass its internals. The idea of using a phone to play music - and probably not of the lossless quality I much prefer - doesn't appeal to me. Plus there's that whole thing about phone frequencies and radio noise that probably interfere or at least make their presence known in the signal chain. No thanks!

Well like I said in my original post I do have a Schiit Stack and HD6XX for home. Ironically I am only at home on weekday evenings and on the weekends, and work a 40-hour job five days a week. I foresee myself relying on my portable setup much more than my home setup - definitely not wasting the DAP's portable independence here! :)

Ah selling second hand stuff here in my country is rubbish - if I won't accept their offers of half my asking price or trades for crap I don't even need, I get no interest from anyone. Much cancer!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 11
Fair enough about your needing and using a DAP significantly, in that case yes it is a good choice. I will differ with you about the phone as a transport, any decent phone is not noisy. People are often simply assuming they can hear tiny, inaudible, but measureable electric activity. I'm sure there can be times when audibility is possible, but it must be rare. I have never heard electrical noise from my phone and I have used phones as sources for years now. A great deal of these noise rejecting build techniques while correct they can shield internals from other electrical pollution don't actually matter as these noise artifacts are not audible on their own, let alone detectable discretely from music playing. Beyond hiss from say an amplifier, if you plug your headphones into your phone and play nothing do you hear this noise you worry about? I'm talking about internally generated electronic noise. Are you really hearing it when there is no music playing? I doubt it very much, so why when music is added into the mix would this "noise" suddenly have audible impact?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back