Help me chose closed over the ear headphones in between 100-200$
Apr 22, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #61 of 84
  2050's seem to be available also

http://www.amazon.com/Takstar-Monitor-Headphone-Gaming-Computer/dp/B009PIQUB6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GDQWK2XWHCZHN57WFW6

But with Takstar Pro80's I am afraid of bad pads quality and I dont know how hard is to buy separate good ones and replace them.

Pad quality is good, nothing to be afraid of. But a common mod is changing them to the HM5 velour pads or memory foam pleather pads, they go for around $20, and allegedly provide more comfort, and alter the sound signature a bit. You should read around in the Takstar thread from page 200 and on, it's mostly about the pads.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #62 of 84
Exactly.... by no means are the stock pads complete junk. I wear them just fine but they aren't as good as some other pads....I preferred the HD 598 pads...true. However... after getting used to the sound of these...it's just best to put the best pads on them that is available. Just be glad there is other pads that even fit... For a lot of headphones you can't even get replacements other than direct replacements or Chinese knock offs that take a month to arrive.

The HM5 pads fitting is just a blessing. The design of those is based on some $200 headphone as well and I think these sound better.

I've read reviews on amazon about people loving these headphones and not complaining at all about the pads... so it's a personally choice.

I've heard the velour ones DO alter the sound though.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #63 of 84
  I'm not really sure right now. I'm bouncing between well know brands and lesser known brands. 

I've learned a few things here on head-fi. The most important lesson is that what sounds good is a really personal opinion. See the comment below about the DT770 for example.
Another is that for each option from a major brand there's at least 6 people recommending something really exotic. And they may well be right but personally I prefer the reassurance that a local dealer offers me. I can test something and I have the law backing me if something goes wrong with the product I've bought.

Last lesson is that it's extremely easy to spend a huge amount of money on goodies and unlike many others here I simply do not have that much to spend.

When i selected my beyers I took my portable player with me loaded with a representative selection of my favorite music. I started out in a few audio shops but quickly moved to musical instruments shops since I found almost all consumer products not to my taste. For classical especially but also for jazz it turned out to be easier to find something that I liked in the monitor section of the music shop.
I think I spend 2 hours in the shop trying to make up my mind between several options. AKG had some really nice headphones but all of those turned out to be too small for my head. I liked the audio qualities of the shure and the build but found it too uncomfortable for long wear.

The beyers I settled on are sometimes bashed for being bass heavy. To my ears the bass is certainly there (lovely in a wagnerian opera) and on a track with really low bass it takes a tiny flick on the equalizer to make my fillings rattle but it's never too much, distorted or too heavy.

What it comes down to is that it's ultimately a personal choice and for that reason I use headfi to make a short list but selecting something from that short list requires personal testing.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #64 of 84
  Exactly.... by no means are the stock pads complete junk. I wear them just fine but they aren't as good as some other pads....I preferred the HD 598 pads...true. However... after getting used to the sound of these...it's just best to put the best pads on them that is available. Just be glad there is other pads that even fit... For a lot of headphones you can't even get replacements other than direct replacements or Chinese knock offs that take a month to arrive.

The HM5 pads fitting is just a blessing. The design of those is based on some $200 headphone as well and I think these sound better.
I've read reviews on amazon about people loving these headphones and not complaining at all about the pads... so it's a personally choice.

I've heard the velour ones DO alter the sound though.

I've learned a few things here on head-fi. The most important lesson is that what sounds good is a really personal opinion. See the comment below about the DT770 for example.
Another is that for each option from a major brand there's at least 6 people recommending something really exotic. And they may well be right but personally I prefer the reassurance that a local dealer offers me. I can test something and I have the law backing me if something goes wrong with the product I've bought.

Last lesson is that it's extremely easy to spend a huge amount of money on goodies and unlike many others here I simply do not have that much to spend.

When i selected my beyers I took my portable player with me loaded with a representative selection of my favorite music. I started out in a few audio shops but quickly moved to musical instruments shops since I found almost all consumer products not to my taste. For classical especially but also for jazz it turned out to be easier to find something that I liked in the monitor section of the music shop.
I think I spend 2 hours in the shop trying to make up my mind between several options. AKG had some really nice headphones but all of those turned out to be too small for my head. I liked the audio qualities of the shure and the build but found it too uncomfortable for long wear.

The beyers I settled on are sometimes bashed for being bass heavy. To my ears the bass is certainly there (lovely in a wagnerian opera) and on a track with really low bass it takes a tiny flick on the equalizer to make my fillings rattle but it's never too much, distorted or too heavy.

What it comes down to is that it's ultimately a personal choice and for that reason I use headfi to make a short list but selecting something from that short list requires personal testing.

"...the reassurance that a local dealer offers me. I can test something and I have the law backing me if something goes wrong with the product I've bought."
Yes, but I can't try before I buy them, because around me aren't stores that offers a large variety of heapdhones to chose from.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #65 of 84

"...the reassurance that a local dealer offers me. I can test something and I have the law backing me if something goes wrong with the product I've bought."
Yes, but I can't try before I buy them, because around me aren't stores that offers a large variety of heapdhones to chose from.

Have you looked beyond the electronics stores? If you're in any reasonably sized city there must be some store selling equipment for amateur musicians and home recording enthousiasts?

http://www.audiofil.net/ was romanian, right?

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #66 of 84
Yea I went on faith when buying all my headphones. The only place to test a few was a music store and they had AKG's....never liked the way any of them fit.

I see some people show a huge selection of headphones to try out....that would be awesome.

What led me to the Gemini's was a long road but was well worth it.

I think the thing that pushed me to those the most was honestly price and the fact that a lot of people with higher end taste liked them.

Some people were even surprised at just how good they were and I knew what type of fit I needed already.

Round pads are out for me.

I was edging towards the HD598's only because I tested them out in store...but I was mad about the lacking in having a closed version of those.

If they were cheaper, I might have settled on those to be honest. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #67 of 84
  Yea I went on faith when buying all my headphones. The only place to test a few was a music store and they had AKG's....never liked the way any of them fit.

I see some people show a huge selection of headphones to try out....that would be awesome.

What led me to the Gemini's was a long road but was well worth it.

I think the thing that pushed me to those the most was honestly price and the fact that a lot of people with higher end taste liked them.

Some people were even surprised at just how good they were and I knew what type of fit I needed already.

Round pads are out for me.

I was edging towards the HD598's only because I tested them out in store...but I was mad about the lacking in having a closed version of those.

If they were cheaper, I might have settled on those to be honest. Now I'm glad I didn't.

I think I'll do the same and go on buying some Taskar/gemini headphones.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #69 of 84
Heck yea....VERY surprising. I didn't realize how old my Beyers are....I think I bought them in 2008. LOL.

Can't wait to see how much you like them.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #71 of 84

Same here! Had to wait like 45-50 days, but definitely worth it. This is becoming a Pro 80 appreciation thread haha.

Lucky for me, the guy I bought it from on eBay lives in the same city. So I just drove down and picked them up!

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #74 of 84

https://twitter.com/voicu_eduard/status/591686969685626880

Good stuff man! I'd like to hear you impressions on them. 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back