Help me chose closed over the ear headphones in between 100-200$
Apr 21, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #31 of 84
  So, this is just my opinion, but I think you should buy the best $150 headphones you can find by a brand that makes tends to sound the way you like. The M50s are well renowned, but if you don't like their sound, you probably won't like them. 

If I had to spend $100 I would probably get the Sennheiser 380 Pros off Amazon cause:
I generally like the way Sennheisers sound
I don't tend to like open back headphones cause of noise leakage from the environment. 

If I had $150, I would probably get the M50s cause the reviews for them are quite unanimous. I'd have to go listen to them at the store before pulling the trigger tho. 

If I had $200, I dunno. I might take a chance on the Focal Spirit Ones. 

The only thing I know for sure is that if I only had $45, I would get the Koss KSC-35s. Every time. :p 

Well well.... I almost did this exactly. I was bidding on the 380's.  I lost out by 1 dollar. Best mistake I ever didn't mean to make.

I heard everyone saying that even though the 380's were more comfy than the clampy 280s, it was the same driver with a different enclosure. Apparently it changed the sound for the worse and I have to say....the Pro 80's blow the 280's out of the water. Just because you spend more...doesn't mean you are getting more.... that is for sure. I do like some more expensive headphones....but at the price these are...you're getting $200 worth of headphone in the sound. I had some cheap KOSS headphones....they were really comfy as well but one side went out and I couldn't find them again. I can't even remember the sound quality at all. I went from those to the audio technical M40fs...which I could not wear for a very long time compared to the KOSS headphones. Sold them to a buddy of mine.

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #33 of 84
You're misunderstanding. He is only trying to state that your recommendation of listening to youtube videos is actually a mistake to make. An audio auditioning of online videos to compare two headphones IN A VIDEO is a mistake in itself. Now, if you own two headphones and try to compare the sound in a youtube video or your flac, mp3, games, then that's a different story. 

Exactly. We see newbies do this all the time. Either say that they heard some headphones (or speakers) in a YouTube demo and think they want to buy them, or they suggest that someone else use the demos to hear how headphones sound. It's a bad idea, and yet for some reason, there is a growing YouTube culture of providing such recordings as if people should use these demos to make their purchase decision.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #34 of 84
Exactly. We see newbies do this all the time. Either say that they heard some headphones (or speakers) in a YouTube demo and think they want to buy them, or they suggest that someone else use the demos to hear how headphones sound. It's a bad idea, and yet for some reason, there is a growing YouTube culture of providing such recordings as if people should use these demos to make their purchase decision.

That's how I knew that the sony sscs5 bookshelf speakers were amazing for me. 
tongue.gif

In all seriousness, I thought youtube "audio auditioning" was popular around the late 2000s. I didn't expect the numbers of illegitimate audio testing to grow. That's kind of perturbing to find out. 

@alphaproject

you're fine though, good thing the forum has the power to edit posts. Just add the threads that I mentioned (the Chinese thread will provide great insights on the cheapest audio gear to buy that competes with some headphones/earphones at a more expensive price ). Don't remove the zeospantera video though, since people may want to know his opinion as well.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #36 of 84
  Wonder what the OP will do? Run from this thread as soon as possible?
dt880smile.png

Probably best thing anyone could ever do for their sanity! xD

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #37 of 84
This thread turned into a silly debate I see... But to push it back on track: I can honestly recommend HSR-1000/Takstar Pro 80 (I have the Takstar 'version'). It is extremely good sound quality for 50 bucks, you can always upgrade but I think these are the perfect starter headphones.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #38 of 84
  This thread turned into a silly debate I see... But to push it back on track: I can honestly recommend HSR-1000/Takstar Pro 80 (I have the Takstar 'version'). It is extremely good sound quality for 50 bucks, you can always upgrade but I think these are the perfect starter headphones.

Pro 80 + a good amp = very satisfying

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #39 of 84
Hi there. I want to buy my first 'good' pair of HP. I started looking over the net couple of days now. First, I want to use my HP on my sony system, but when traveling to work also, and at work, of course. I mostly listen to classical music, electronic music (like kraftwerk) dub, raggae, jazz (flac/loseless) etc. I first stumbled upon m50's. But i turnen them down because I don't want  some headphones to reveal every imprefection, since I'm not mixing/djing/monitoring etc.

I've gathered a bunch of maybes, like
https://www.avstore.ro/casti/sennheiser-hd-215-ii/
https://www.avstore.ro/casti/audio-technica-ath-ax5is/
https://www.avstore.ro/casti/sennheiser-hd-449/
http://www.soundcreation.ro/casti-hi-fi-cid376_2221/audio-technica-t500-id9887.html
And so on. I don't have where to listen to those, so I need your experience in chosing (not only from them). Thanks.

NAD HP50.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #40 of 84
 I can honestly recommend HSR-1000/Takstar Pro 80 - Turns on to deaf ears....is that the saying?

I don't think any of those options you mention are better.

If you like Senn HD 515 just move up to the HD 558 instead or 600.

BTW... just heard the Jurassic World trailer on the hsr 1000.... chills. It sounds like a movie theater. Best way to describe them I think.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #41 of 84
   I can honestly recommend HSR-1000/Takstar Pro 80 - Turns on to deaf ears....is that the saying?

I think 'falls on deaf ears', but I'm not sure either :D

After trying many of the popular headphones in the $100-200 range (DT 770/990, K550, M50x, etc.), I see no point in upgrading to them. Sure, they might be a little bit better, or different sound signature, but the Pro 80 is good enough to justify not upgrading, it would be throwing out 150 bucks for marginal improvement. My next headphones will be at least HD600 or over.

So that's how good it is, for me at least. (with a fiio e10k)

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #42 of 84
I agree. If you are going to find better...it's going to be costly. HD600 most likely. I do like the way those HD series fit...regardless of sound. I'd love to compare the HD 600 though on my exact setup. I can't really tell in the store if the HD598 are worth it either...just can't be sure.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #44 of 84
imo one of the best value $200 headphones wld be the akg k7xx (basically the black version of the $450 akg k702 65th anniversary edition). you will notice a sound quality difference upgrading to that from any other sub-$200 headphones if your source files are at least 320kbps mp3. if your source quality is poor and you upgrade to nicer headphones, you will actually experience worse sound quality because the nicer headphones are more revealing and accurate of the source file.

other options off the top of my head: hd600 and hd650 can be found nowadays near $200 on sale. also, he-400 used often goes for that price. beyers dt-series also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back