Help me chose between IEM's!?
May 30, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 24
Hm...it'd be much easier for me to describe the FXT90 than the SE215 tbh. The FXT90's bass is tight, controlled and detailed. It has a pretty prominent mid-bass hump and relatedly, it doesn't have extremely strong sub-bass. The interesting thing, is that the bass is very well separated. I think this is what people mean when they say it's U shaped because it doesn't really bleed into the mids at all. The mids are detailed and clean. It also has some fantastic highs that are amazing for cymbals and the like. The SE215 though has more bass and is still a fairly good headphone. It shouldn't be fatiguing as it has minimal treble roll-off and if you dislike "bright" phones, it may be the one for you. If you're a basshead in any way, the SE215 might be more your style. I also think the FXT90 is a pretty damn good all-around for musical genres. 

Ok thx this makes things clearer, I'm not a bass head but I am not all that far from one, I did say having an all around was important or came close to saying so by specifying bass, mids and treble all as important. So thanks to Dacrazydude I know the Fxt-90's are good all around iems but has anyone used the se215's? I'm thinking unless someone makes a good argument for the I will go with the jvc's for now and buy them in the summer when I get my job with the police. I do listen to a lot of bass music but... It's still to hard to tell I'm still undecided. Oddly (I don't mean my quick descent from certainty to indecisiveness) FS has the Shure's $30 higher than the Jvc's, but I can PM them so it's all academic. If anyone else has any input it will be appreciated. Damn those companies for making such compelling iems...

May 30, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #18 of 24
I'm just going to point out one last thing. "Which do you think is better for bass and has at least decent treble and mids?" -your quote from the other thread. The Shure SE215 fits nearly everything you have said you wanted from an IEM to a T. Head-fi is also somewhat biased against what some people term a "consumer" sound. So even though my some of my friends might enjoy say the Klipsch S4 or the Shure SE215 more, those are not recommended as often. Make sure you choose based on your own preference because you'll be the one enjoying them.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the FXT90. But maybe, you'd personally enjoy the SE215s more. 

May 30, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #19 of 24
Hm...it'd be much easier for me to describe the FXT90 than the SE215 tbh. The FXT90's bass is tight, controlled and detailed. It has a pretty prominent mid-bass hump and relatedly, it doesn't have extremely strong sub-bass. The interesting thing, is that the bass is very well separated. I think this is what people mean when they say it's U shaped because it doesn't really bleed into the mids at all. The mids are detailed and clean. It also has some fantastic highs that are amazing for cymbals and the like. The SE215 though has more bass and is still a fairly good headphone. It shouldn't be fatiguing as it has minimal treble roll-off and if you dislike "bright" phones, it may be the one for you. If you're a basshead in any way, the SE215 might be more your style. I also think the FXT90 is a pretty damn good all-around for musical genres. 

I'm pretty sure my reply disappeared, and I'm not sure how. Regardless in my original reply I pointed out I was not a bass head but not really that far from one either. However, I also implied that a good all around iem was what I was looking for. So both points each support the other iem making this even harder to decide. I now know the Fxt-90 has a more balanced range while the se215 is more base oriented. But which has better sound isolation? And which is better for average day to day use? If I could find someone who has used both models to tell me which is the clear winner (probably a dream) and why it should make my decision clearer.

Ok I found my reply lol it was with the comment further up the thread but this serves as a precise recap so I'll leave it.

May 30, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 24
Thx for the help Dacrazydude I think you might be right about not basing my decision soley on others opinions. I think both iems match what I am looking for in an iem, I am very interested to hear what anyone else has to say on the matter. But if no one can find the jvc's on sale or prove that they are more suited for my style of music I'll probably go with the Se215's for now. I'll leave the poll up until I close the thread on the 13th but I think Dacrazydude has helped me figure it out. :D

If anyone has reviewed or used both iems and has anything to say let me know.

May 30, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #21 of 24
Just pointing out, if we are not allowed to express our opinion and/or recommend alternatives then you will not be getting many replies!

@Some1 I am fairly certain I have in no way said that anyone on this thread is not intitled to their opinion but rather if they could help me choose between two iems. Dacrazydude leaned me towards getting the Shure se215 but in another thread Joker advised me to get the Fxt-90. So out of the two based upon my preference for bass but still desiring to have good treble and mids which would you buy? I also want to get the iem that is better on the go and will last longer first.

May 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #23 of 24
FXT90, but you see its just such a limited choice thats all, and you said for nobody to suggest alternatives.

True enough, the choice was limited but for the reason of saving time seeing as I already know the general range of the iem I want. All I want is some advice over which has more bang for its buck. Your input on this matter is appreciated.

May 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 24
From a technical standpoint, the FXT90 will win,
but your personal sound preference will also play a part.

All in all, I choose FXT90 all the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back