Help me chose between IEM's!?
May 29, 2012 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Aizen Taicho

New Head-Fier
I've got it down to two choices the Shure se215k or the Jvc Ftx-90, both are highly rated and are around the same price. I know the jvc's are supposed to be $150 but FS has them for $99, but conversely has the Shure's for $129. However, using L and M I can price match them down to $99 just like the JVC's. If you are wondering what kind of music I listen to I would say primarily music with bass but I also want good treble and mids. I'm confused as to which has the overall higher quality and will be grateful for any help. PS: please no references to other iems I've already decided its intbetween these two iems. If one is very clearly better than the other in all aspects do not hesitate to let me know, I won't be offended seeing as I'm no audiophile.

May 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 24
No one wants a cookie? Or some good rep? I need to know which of the two to buy now and the other I will buy later. I'm not expanding my price range seeing as there are other things I have to buy besides my iem's.

May 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 24
Oh choosing between the two iems I picked isn't about which one is good or bad I am getting them both in the long run. But seeing as I am a bit cash strapped right now I am trying to decide which to get for now. Your reference to the Vsonic is appreciated because it is a perfectly good iem as well but based upon all of the reviews I have read (I know they are subjective but not very much isn't) they are not quite what I am looking for. I need an iem with very good or excellent bass, good treble and good mids, my budget is $100 firm. Here is the thing through PM I can get both iems I mentioned for $99 could you tell me which of the two you would take for $99? Or less?

May 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 24
You really shouldn't limit your options. That being said, it's my experience that Shures tend to be mid-centric phones. I don't know if they will provide the bass you're looking for. Not very familiar with JVC headphones as I've only listened to one $20 model.

Good luck with your decision.

May 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 24
You really shouldn't limit your options. That being said, it's my experience that Shures tend to be mid-centric phones. I don't know if they will provide the bass you're looking for. Not very familiar with JVC headphones as I've only listened to one $20 model.

Good luck with your decision.

Thx for the post, although, normally I would agree with you about not limiting my options but I really haven't I just methodically eliminated all of the other competition in the $100 price range that was sold by realtors in my province. I am leaning towards getting the Jvc's for indoor use but I heared the Shure's provide really good isolation comparitively. I wonder if I'll ever figure out which one is better? Or maybe I'll go out on a limb and buy one for now?

May 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 24
You're absolutely sure it has to be those two models? I only ask because those two are not alike. I could understand if they were similar but different but...

FXT90.

Thx for the input, the reason the competition is between these two iems is that they were both rated very highly albeit differently in the fields that I specifically want. I want excellent or very good bass, good treble and good mids. They also have to be at or below $100 as both of these models are, and need to be available at my local FS. As I'm not really into shipping something as cheap as the iems I'll be buying. I'm not a bass head but the bass needs to be the most prominent range in the iem. The FXT90 sounds really good and is $50 cheaper at FS than at most other places but is its base higher than the se215?

May 30, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
You're absolutely sure it has to be those two models? I only ask because those two are not alike. I could understand if they were similar but different but...
FXT90.
Thx for the input, the reason the competition is between these two iems is that they were both rated very highly albeit differently in the fields that I specifically want. I want excellent or very good bass, good treble and good mids. They also have to be at or below $100 as both of these models are, and need to be available at my local FS. As I'm not really into shipping something as cheap as the iems I'll be buying. I'm not a bass head but the bass needs to be the most prominent range in the iem. The FXT90 sounds really good and is $50 cheaper at FS than at most other places but is its base higher than the se215?

I haven't heard the 215 since they first came out but no. The se215 has more bass than the FXT90. But everything else suffers and the bass quality on the FXT90 is better. However, the bass is definitely the prominent range in the 215.

Note, I am pretty biased in this regard. I really enjoy the FXT90. It's almost analytical but with oomph. 

May 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 24
I haven't heard the 215 since they first came out but no. The se215 has more bass than the FXT90. But everything else suffers and the bass quality on the FXT90 is better. However, the bass is definitely the prominent range in the 215.

Note, I am pretty biased in this regard. I really enjoy the FXT90. It's almost analytical but with oomph. 

Hmm, I see this I can work with, you say the se215 has more bass but everything else suffers for it but you do admit bias. Which to be fair everyone has bias, is there anyone who thinks the se215 is better overall for some reason we have not yet discussed or someone who has directly compared the two models? When you say the se215 has better bass but the Fxt-90 has better bass quality what exactly do you mean? Is it that the se215 has uncontrolled punchy bass or that the Fxt-90 is a little bit more controlled?

May 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Both IEMs are quite distinct in sound, but I've found Shure to have more of a neutral sound. 

That's actually interesting because I remember thinking it was one of those IEMs that, if you graphed it, would look like exponential decay. Strong bass, with somewhat forward mids and rolled off treble. 

Quite frankly, plussound might be right though. 

May 30, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
Hmm, I see this I can work with, you say the se215 has more bass but everything else suffers for it but you do admit bias. Which to be fair everyone has bias, is there anyone who thinks the se215 is better overall for some reason we have not yet discussed or someone who has directly compared the two models? When you say the se215 has better bass but the Fxt-90 has better bass quality what exactly do you mean? Is it that the se215 has uncontrolled punchy bass or that the Fxt-90 is a little bit more controlled?

Hm...it'd be much easier for me to describe the FXT90 than the SE215 tbh. The FXT90's bass is tight, controlled and detailed. It has a pretty prominent mid-bass hump and relatedly, it doesn't have extremely strong sub-bass. The interesting thing, is that the bass is very well separated. I think this is what people mean when they say it's U shaped because it doesn't really bleed into the mids at all. The mids are detailed and clean. It also has some fantastic highs that are amazing for cymbals and the like. The SE215 though has more bass and is still a fairly good headphone. It shouldn't be fatiguing as it has minimal treble roll-off and if you dislike "bright" phones, it may be the one for you. If you're a basshead in any way, the SE215 might be more your style. I also think the FXT90 is a pretty damn good all-around for musical genres. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back