Help Me Choose My Next 5 Albums Please
Aug 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

manofmathematics

500+ Head-Fier
Now, I have a lot of good music, but I can't help myself. I'm just a complete addict. So, this means that it is time for some new tunes, and since I can't even make up my mind about what I want for dinner I'm calling out for a little Head-Fi help.

Here are some albums that I'm currently eyeballing:

Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Gillian Welch - Revival
Bjork - Debut
Keb' Mo' - Keb' Mo'
Peter Malick - New York City
Art Blakey - A Night in Tunisia
Thelonious Monk - Alone in San Francisco
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Lee Morgan - Lee Way
Feddie Hubbard - Here to Stay
Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer

You don't have to necessarily pick from the above, just help this empty wallet music addict get his fix.

gs1000.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Art Blakey - Ugetsu
Kruder & Dorfmeister - DJ Kicks
Nick Drake - Fruit Tree (box set), or Five Leaves Left if you just want one album
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Hey there.....If you're eyeballing the Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard theres an awesome boxed of the complete recordings at the famous Vanguard week.........it has everything from that CD and also Waltz for Debby and also some other stuff.....worth getting.

If you dig Freddie Hubbard look into Hub Tones and Red Clay.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by manofmathematics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Guys. I didn't know about the Vanguard box. I'm checking that out now.

2 recommendations for Red Clay also, adding that to the list.

Nice. I'd also suggest Ready for Freddie by him. It's heavy on modal improvisation, and very cool. Somewhat like Kind of Blue.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 13
I can recommend the Keb' Mo'. Haven't given it the fine tooth comb yet, but I like what I've heard so far. And this coming from a guy who wrote the music for Martha Stewart's t.v. program. Also recommend Ella Sings The Jerome Kern Songbook. Excellent backing band-I think it's Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, and Herb Ellis.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 13
I'll second the Keb' Mo. Very clean recording, and a wonderful voice, not to mention pretty decent music. I think you'll like it.

I recently picked up a remaster (RVG) of Soul Station, but haven't dug into it yet. Initial listening says it's good, though.

One I sincerely have to recommend, however, is the Brad Mehldau Trio's latest live album, Live, also recorded at the village vanguard. Great music, great recording. The soundstage is astonishing on cans, if that matters to you.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 13
keb mo is cool.
just got a mono vinyl of lee morgan's "search for the new land" Awesome.

Aimee Mann has a new one out and I never get tired of recommending Ron Sexsmith.....

And to make up the requisite 5: Teddy Thompson (Richard and Linda Thompson's kid i believe..)

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 13
Geez, I always hesitate to enter conversations about musicians like Freddie Hubbard and Bill Evans, because I don't tend to agree with the received wisdom on either of them. Evans' Vanguard stuff is great (and I like the fact that the new box presents the music as it was actually played), but I tend to think Portrait in Jazz, the first album by his trio with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian, blows Waltz for Debby, et.al out of the water. (For what it's worth, Motian thinks so, too.)

As for Hubbard, Hub-Tones is brilliant, but since I consider Freddie more of a hero-for-hire than a conceptualist, I feel that most of the time his immense skills are put to better use on others' records. His desire to record a hit like his rival Lee Morgan often led to records that were, to my ears, straitjacketed rather than enhanced by grooves. Red Clay, High Pressure Blues, Backlash and Straight Life are all nice enough, but if you want to hear Freddie really cut loose, listen to what he does on stuff like Oliver Nelson's Blues and the Abstract Truth, Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil and The All Seeing Eye, Dexter Gordon's Doin' Allright, Eric Dolphy's Outward Bound and Out To Lunch or Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage. Actually, you may have one of these discs already, but if not, any one of them would make a nice addition to your collection.
beyersmile.png

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Some recent favorites released within the last year or so.

Brian Blade Fellowship Band, "Season of Change"

Michael Brecker, "Pilgrimage"

Chris Potter, "Gratitude"

Antonio Sanchez, "Migration"

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 13
  • yazoo - upstairs at erics
  • imogen heap - speak for yourself
  • men at work - cargo
  • UB40 - present arms
  • terrence trent derby - introducing the hardline according to terence trent d'arby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back