Help me choose my first Audiophile Headphones
Feb 27, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #16 of 38
x1 is more comfortable. The weight of the he400 does grow on you after a while and you adjust to it...or you don't. I'm very sensitive to weight and I found that I was able to adjust to it no problem. The headband is steel and can be adjusted if the clamp is too much or too little. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #17 of 38
The  headband of the HE400 was very uncomfortable and the ear pads........made my ears sweat in just 5 min.
But with some slight modification they can be made for comfort that I am sure of.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #19 of 38
The beyer headband will fit around the original he400 headband and be more comfortable. The velour pads don't make you sweat like the pleather. 

Truth is though, you might wait till next month when hifiman has their new hp's out and see what the reviews look like. Much lighter and more comfortable for sure. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 38
  The beyer headband will fit around the original he400 headband and be more comfortable. The velour pads don't make you sweat like the pleather. 

Truth is though, you might wait till next month when hifiman has their new hp's out and see what the reviews look like. Much lighter and more comfortable for sure. 

Next Month!!, really !!!

I'll wait for next month if Hifiman have an announcement, maybe a new design or a new HE400 revision with addressed "Issues".

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #22 of 38
I'm kinda getting the idea that the new hifiman headphones are focusing on 'light and fast' sound, so will be less bassy and more neutralish sounding.  I doubt either the 400i and 560 will satisfy your needs.  You really need to go the closed headphone route.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #23 of 38

I know I'm waiting for these 
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #24 of 38
The HE-400i won't be out for another couple of months.

If you want more mid-bass than the HE-400 then go for the X1, but it won't have the sub-bass of the former. Though you can just EQ the HE-400 to get the amount of bass you want. The X1 is a warmer phone with less sibilant treble. You also need an amp with the HE-400 whereas the X1 doesn't really need one.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #26 of 38
You should order the pads and the hp at the same time. They are only $10 and then you'd save the shipping. 
wink.gif
 Depending on where you order them they may come with the velours. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #27 of 38
Amazon gives me 2 day free shipping with prime!

I will order the Velour pads with a 1.5m to 1.8m (5ft-6ft)cable at the end of this month  or early next month as I have already abused my credit card for this month!

By the way, which cable do you guys recommend.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #29 of 38
  The 880s are world class ......its just that time has eclipsed them 
But since you got the HiFiMANs congratulations ! 

Thx m8 :) I found the Shure 1840 locally, gave them a go.....have to say..very comfortable and looks awesome and sounds good, but did not have the HE400 to compare them.

Again the 299$ deal drove me towards the HiFiMan.

By the way guys, which cable to you recommend with the HE-400 ? 

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #30 of 38
  Amazon gives me 2 day free shipping with prime!

I will order the Velour pads with a 1.5m to 1.8m (5ft-6ft)cable at the end of this month  or early next month as I have already abused my credit card for this month!

By the way, which cable do you guys recommend.

I just received this Furutech cable I got from ebay.  It's much thinner and shorter than the stock cable.  It's a little stiff since it's braided, and I would have liked a more robust Y-split, but otherwise it's a nice cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-HIFIMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-400-HE-500-Headphone-Cable-Furutech-Upgrade-Cable-/111179732394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e2d415aa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back