Help me choose good headphones
Feb 4, 2011 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

jan1024188

New Head-Fier
Ok, I  unfortunately live with parents, so I can only listen to music via headphones.
I've search several entertainment stores and all I can find is rubbish junk that is waste of money.

I would like quality headphones (price range up to $400), that would:
  1. Be comfortable even with long term use (eg. wearing them 10hrs a day)
  2. Not require any additional equipment (it can have 3.5 jack that works with mini converter so I can plug into my pc)
  3. I wear glasses so they must not be too tight around ears
  4. Must have superb sound quality
  5. Must not be too heavy in weight, and should cover ears completely

I am very specific about music, I only listen to European Black and Death metal bands (mostly Norwegian black metal). For everything else that I do on PC, I guess any headphones would do, so that doesnt matter.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 33
Welcome to Head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.

There's a nice thread that answer your query and more here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Since you are quite specific and apparent know what you're looking for, you should be looking at closed cans that can be double up as reasonably portable equipment. This shoot-out at Headfonia could definitely act as your starting point. Try not to get the smallish ones though, cos on-ear headphone will typically press the spectacle frame tightly between the ears and your skull, making long listening kind of a pain.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 33
the grado line would be perfect for your music preferences. Check out the sr325i for the top of your price range, 225i for middle, and sr125i if you wanna grab a amp whilst your at it.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
P.S.: I've been looking at Grado, but have no idea which one would fit my needs the best...

Grado's won't help your cause in keeping the sound down, they leak a ton of sound. Sounds like a closed can would do you well, maybe check out the DT770 32Ω.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 33
he said he needs headphones because his parents don't want to hear his music, the grados leak sound if you're a foot away from the person mate not if your downstairs in a house. My friend was using my headphones and I couldn't hear any noise and he was sitting in a char ten or so feet from me.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
Grado's won't help your cause in keeping the sound down, they leak a ton of sound. Sounds like a closed can would do you well, maybe check out the DT770 32Ω.

Why 32Ohm? Not the best selection from DT770 isnt it? 
The 250Ohm version shouldn't be that bad without amp. Yes, with amp would've been better, but it aint fatal without. I know at least 3 people who plug their DT770 directly to their PC...

Quote:
the grado line would be perfect for your music preferences. Check out the sr325i for the top of your price range, 225i for middle, and sr125i if you wanna grab a amp whilst your at it.

I doubt Grado stock cans would be comfortable to a spectacle wearer too. Well, at least to me, Grado are more akin to torture devices. I dub thee "Iron Maiden",

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 33
with the comfies you can barely tell they're on. QUARTER MOD keeps the sound, and the comfy well....remains delightful
darthsmile.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 33
Shure 440, nice neutral sound and comfortable. Be sure to stop by somewhere and try them out first though. Padding is soft, they are circumaural which makes for a nice experience (and it blocks out external noise to a certain extent, like keyboard typing, passing cars and such) + long cable if you move around. Not sure about the glassed but like I said padding is soft.

Best of luck.

- Cheers

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 33
Grado 80 is probably the most bang for your buck. The rest would just determine what you wish to spend. They all are rocking headphones. One other thing to consider would be the bowl pads over the comfy pads ( bowls show the interior of the headphone, comfy covers the entire space). Different parts in the line up come stock with different pads. I just forget which one is which

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #13 of 33
Grado's is a nice choice since you listen to metal. They are great performing it. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 33
let's put it this way: You won't be dissappointed with any of the grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back