Help me choose components for my high-$$$$ system
Aug 29, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #61 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Wow, this is turning out to be an excellent thread. My laptop battery is about to die, but I just wanted to toss out one more idea: vinyl.

Seriously, if you're wanting the best possible performance from either a top notch speaker system or a headphone system, it's somting to consider. I held off for years and years, but am now quickly becoming a vinyl junkie. Of course, I just spent several days enjoying Todd's most amazing collection... but that just put me over the top. You can burn anything you want for your car, so it's not as though you really NEED a CD player.

when do i get to hear the lps we picked out in Queens!!!

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #63 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
Can you buy vinyl of newly released music or just old music? I don't have a single vinyl record and I do want new music from time to time. Even if it sounds better on old music I don't want to limit my choices.

just my 2cents but typically older releases tend to sound better on vinly while most newer releases sound about the same unless special care was made with the vinyl master. So if you are into classic jazz, classic rock or classical then vinyl is a no brainer IMHO but if you are into modern rock or trance... then cd it is
you can get away with a relatively inexpensive vinly rig if you shop around on the used market. a used rega or vpi can go from 500 to 1k for starters less is you go with an older table from 80s brands

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #65 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
when we get off our butts and head south

Oh, yeah.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #66 of 108
well i am a classical rock, new rock, alternative, trance/techno/house/dance, heavy metal kind of guy so i guess cd it is. im not into jazz or classical yet

like i said, i tried k1000s and r10 and they didnt wow me that much although the r10 was more comfortable than the k1000 and comfort is a big thing. why do you think i wear sennheisers? iirc the o2 was similar to the fit of a r10 and the orpheus well is comfortable as well

do speakers in this price range present as much detail as a good headphone?
what about air, space, and layering? i know this is generalization

i heard a real ****** subwoofer from my friends stereo, it probably wasnt over 200 bucks total and it somewhat turned me off to them, since the bass was like a second behind the actual speakers

Aug 29, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #67 of 108
Quote:

do speakers in this price range present as much detail as a good headphone? what about air, space, and layering? i know this is generalization

Speakers in the range you are looking at should provide you air, space and layering better than pretty much any headphone, imo.

Aug 29, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #68 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Speakers in the range you are looking at should provide you air, space and layering better than pretty much any headphone, imo.

that is promising
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #70 of 108
yeah i realized they were adjustable but didnt do much adjusting. i would have noticed if they were on my temples i think. iirc they were just heavy and unbalanced (weight wise) and didnt sound great to me

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #71 of 108
Hi Brian. I think you need to be more clear in some things before trying to decide on gear:

The first and most important: Speakers, headphones or both? If you decide both, think how much are you going to spend on each setup. Try to get a headphone amp that will also serve as a preamp and that way you save money. Also, if you decide to go for a K 1000 setup for headphones, you can choose an amp for both the speakers and the K 1000. Also, if you decide to put more budget on speakers than headphones, start a new thread to get yourself educated in the basics of speaker setups.

Second: Vinyl or Digital? This is also important at the moment of choosing the rest of the gear.

Third: Electrostatic or Dynamic? You seem to have heard good candidates for both sides but maybe you're not completely sure about the sound signature of stats. If you think you might like stats, get a basic system like the 3030 and if liked then go for the top gear.

Hope this helps.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #72 of 108
One certainty: digital rather than vinyl.

I have heard electrostatic setups (hev90/he90, es-1/o2/he90, old stax setups, 007t/he90) many times and they always impress and wow me and that is why I was leaning towards them. However, a dynamic setup will give room for future growth as there are many more dynamic phones introduced each year.

I am pretty sure I will not go hunting for rare and discontinued headphones such as (r10, he90, k1000, l3000, qualia, etc) unless they fall in my lap. I have heard both the k1000 and r10 and was not truly impressed with either with the r10 being balanced on an sds-xlr. I always find myself going back to my hd650s. I did find balancing my hd650 straight from dac was a good improvement over my singleended sp amp.

As for speakers, I may or may not like them better and the real question is where I will be living, and neighbor arrangements.

If I go speakers I will not be upgrading my headphone rig and if I go headphones I will not be getting a speaker setup. I don't think I want to divide my funds.

As for the source question, either one will satisfy my new rig. This is perhaps the easiest choice.

It is a big decision and that is why I am on the fence. I wish I knew what kind of place I will have to enjoy this setup but I don't know yet. I might as well research what I can on both speakers and headphones so I will be more prepared to make a choice when it is closer.

I hope this is clearer. Thanks

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #73 of 108
Quote:

what would some good speakers be with an amp for 10k?

i know speakers are a possibility but i do not know anything about them, what i would need, etc.
speakers, preamp, amp, speaker cables, subwoofer, etc. seems very complicated and expensive
would any compete with a headphone setup detail wise?

i know i should probably be asking this on audioasylum

If you like it warm, sweet and emotional I really dont think anything beats sonus faber stradivari paired with really good tube amps, probably lamm ml2.1.

For the analytical side why not marten design coltrane with mark levinson reference amps?

=)

Opps i thought i saw 100k =P

Sep 2, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #74 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
i agree, the ES-1/OII combo is unbeatable... combine that with the esoteric source and all you need are some cables.

So this combo is better than with the 007t amplifier? I am thinking to just wing it and buy a 007, and audiocubes has a great deal on the headphone & amp. If this is definitely better though I may just decide to get in on that package build if possible.

Sep 2, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #75 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
So this combo is better than with the 007t amplifier? I am thinking to just wing it and buy a 007, and audiocubes has a great deal on the headphone & amp. If this is definitely better though I may just decide to get in on that package build if possible.

The ES-1 is in an entirely different league than the 007t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back