Help me choose components for my high-$$$$ system
Sep 16, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #91 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
it wouldn't fit on a plane would it?
confused.gif

I'm not sure,.....what's the going rate to rent a C130 from Rumsfeld's personal storage locker these days?
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #92 of 108
Quote:

it wouldn't fit on a plane would it?
confused.gif

I would bet you would have no trouble checking it as baggage. After seeing the amount (and size) of the things Mikhail carried when he stopped by here....I might just start checking my car with me when I travel.
BTW- The amp Hirsch has(SDS-XLR) was the one I had from Mikhail. I loved that amp.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #93 of 108
I am exploring my options and was wondering what some of the best SS amps are.

singlepower ss
headroom max balanced
headamp gs-x
rudistor?

what did I miss?

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #95 of 108
The Moon Audio amp and the B52 are both tubes. As for solid state amps if you can get someone to build you a balanced dynahi that would easily be at or near the top of the list of balanced SS amps.

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #96 of 108
just wanted to see if anyone had any new input or opinions to post about this system.

the new emm labs cdsa player for $10k seems enticing but no digital input. not sure if it's worth it if i can get an apl for the same price which will play movies, all audio formats and has a digital input.

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #97 of 108
This coming from left field:

I'll preface this by saying that personally, I can't imagine spending that much on *just* a headphone setup, but that opinion aside, I'm going to recommend an alternative:

Headphone system budget: $12,000

20 tickets to your nearest symphony orchestra: $200 per concert (center, orchestra level), $4,000

New music pruchases: $4,000 (roughly 250 albums)

My thinking is this: You have A LOT of questions about how certain components will sound. I think it's important to realize once you begin to get into the rarified air of esoteric audiophilia, you'll find that personal taste dictates more in regards to the absolute "rightness" of a system of components than subjective generalizations derrived from short listening sessions at meets.

If you adhere to the mentality that a good system is one that is "okay'd" by consensus, I can assure you that you'll constantly be searching for the next better component. In my personal experience, it's much more fun to search for the next better peice of music. This brings me to a very important (perhaps rhetorical) question:

"Are you looking forward to listening to your system? Or are you looking forward to listening to music?"

Please, please please don't take offense at this line of questioning and the supporting rationale, but it occurs to me that just getting what's "best" component-wise may not be the proper move in truly appreciating the art of music. If that's your intent.

My system is worth roughly $4000 (both speaker set up and headphone), assembled over the course of 10 years. Rarely do I purchase new components; I'm a penny pincher. I recently had the privilege of attending a Boston Symphony Orchestra concert at the Boston Symphony Hall. I am not a huge fan of classical music (I own 3 classical CD's in my collection of ~2000 CD's & ~300 LP's). This was easily the most emotionally involving and amazing musical experience I have ever had. It's difficult for me to find words to express how enjoyable that music was in that place. Honsetly, if I had it all to do over again, I would certainly consider NOT purchasing much of the equipment I own now, and spending the money on listening to more live music. Absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt, but of course just my honest opinion.

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #98 of 108
i am looking forward to listening to my music. the problem with live performances is 1) they are loud and can damage hearing over time, 2) you can't listen to whatever you please whenever you please. this is the point of having a nice system. plus i will be able to watch dvd's with great audio along with possibility of hooking up to pc later on.

thank you for your valued insight. no offense taken

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #99 of 108
While live performances can be damaging to your hearing, classical performances are unamplified, and should pose little risk. The real people at risk are the violinists with their instruments 3 inches away from their ears
basshead.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #100 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck
While live performances can be damaging to your hearing, classical performances are unamplified, and should pose little risk. The real people at risk are the violinists with their instruments 3 inches away from their ears
basshead.gif

Don't they use earplugs? How can they know how to play if they are deaf? I guess they play from experience.

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #101 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Don't they use earplugs? How can they know how to play if they are deaf? I guess they play from experience.

Didnt bother Beethoven, stone deaf yet produced some very nice tunes.

To answer the earlier poster, there is nothing quite like a good live Classical Music performance (if you like Classical Music that is) , of course a bad one (and I have been to a few, sadly) could put you off the genre for ever.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #102 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Didnt bother Beethoven, stone deaf yet produced some very nice tunes.

To answer the earlier poster, there is nothing quite like a good live Classical Music performance (if you like Classical Music that is) , of course a bad one (and I have been to a few, sadly) could put you off the genre for ever.

the problem is im not a fan of classical music, don't even have a single cd.

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #103 of 108
Quote:

the problem is im not a fan of classical music, don't even have a single cd.

I didn't care for it much either, until I had the chance to hear what music *can* sound like. I haven't gone and sold all my CD's cause they're 'not as good as that one time I heard some real classical music', either.

Judging by your responses thus far, it seems to me you're looking for validation in spending a lot of money on things, not for the appreciation of the music you listen to now, or will in the future. I hope this isn't true.

"Free your mind and your ass will follow."

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #104 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy
Judging by your responses thus far, it seems to me you're looking for validation in spending a lot of money on things, not for the appreciation of the music you listen to now, or will in the future. I hope this isn't true.

incorrect. why would i dump money into equipment if i dont enjoy music? why not a rolex? why not a car?

it is far easier to give money to charity. i enjoy the music, that's it

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #105 of 108
anyone heard/have opinions on the new emm labs cdsa, apl denon 5910ci, esoteric x-01 d2?

videophiles - how much does one need to spend on a high quality 1080p dvd player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back