Help me choose between RS1 and GS1000
Jan 23, 2008 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

nor_spoon

Headphoneus Supremus
I have decided to try one of the HP's, but having a hard time choosing which one to go for. I have read countless threads about these phones, but still not getting anywhere. I currently use the HD650s, and I'm quite happy with them with some material, but overall there is this dark sound, some veil and boomy bass that keeps bothering me a bit. I also think they are a bit recessed in the mids, (or maybe the overwhelming bass) as I listen a lot to guitar based music (e.g. Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Neil Young and so on...)

I almost decided to go for the RS-1, as I hear so much good things about it, and I can get it for a good price, but the lack of soundstage/headstage scares me a bit.

My DAC is the gem in my setup. It has a very analog and musical sound to it. It portraits lifelike sizes of voices and instruments with excellent control and detail. I am more concerned how the DV332 will perform with the GS1000. Yes, I have changed tubes and all that...

Too bad I cannot audition these cans before buying. I think the GS1000 sounds like the deal with its larger headstage and airy presentation, but reading about "loudness in the bass region" and recessed mids, I am afraid it will sound muddy, and lean more towards my current HD650's...

Any thougts on this is much appreciated.

And please, NO recommandations for other cans or amps.

Thanks

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 30
to get a feel of what Grado's all about, I'd get an RS-1. I think if you like the RS-1 and decide that you want something like a hybrid of Senns with that little bit of EDGE of the Grados, then move on to the GS1000. I don't think that the GS1000 would be muddy at all, if that's what you're concerned about. However, mind you I've only got the RS-1's and I'm just trying to extrapolate from what I've read.

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 30
If you listen at low volume and prefer a large soundstage over an intimate one: GS

Otherwise, RS

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 30
I have to add that I have listened to the RS-1 a while ago, but just in a store hooked up to the cd players jack out and for a very short time. While I think it sounded good without the veil of my senns, or at least a different veil (does golden describe it maybe?) it was missing some in the lows, and there was a smaller soundstage, but I liked the highs. I dont recall very much, other than that. The sound signature sounded somewhat smaller than with the senns but I guess the Grados like others, sounds better with some burn-in and a good amp and source...

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen at low volume and prefer a large soundstage over an intimate one: GS

Otherwise, RS

Yes, I prefer listening to lower or moderate volumes, because of my mild tinnitus is getting irritated when turning up. Its like my ears have become more sensitive to high volumes.

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 30
I don't know if it's tinnitus but the same happened to me over the last couple of years. My ears are very sensitive to piercing treble now. All I can say is that the best headphone listening (low or high volume) I ever did was with the GS1000 at low volume on quiet nights. I really wish their pads did not pinch my ears, or I would never have let them go.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 30
Have anyone tried the GS1000 with the DV332?

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 30
I have a pair of hd600s and rs1s and they compliment each other very well. Let me tell you that the rs1s excel with guitar based music of all sorts. They really put the guitar upfront and showcase it better then any cans I have heard. If you are worried about soundstage get yourself a good amp with a lot of current and a good source on the nuetral or warm side and the grados will really open up as far as soundstage is concerned. I hope this helps.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 30
Thank you for your replies.

One thing I have noticed after reading, is that some say the GS1000 sounds bad, but I cant recall reading that anyone has said that they think the RS-1 sounds bad, just not to their liking...

But I still would like to hear suggestions on how the GS1000 would match with the DV332.

Oh, well, I guess I'll end up with both one way or another to satisfy the inner man...

Curse you head-fi!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I have noticed after reading, is that some say the GS1000 sounds bad, but I cant recall reading that anyone has said that they think the RS-1 sounds bad, just not to their liking...

But I still would like to hear suggestions on how the GS1000 would match with the DV332.

I've never tried the RS-1 so I can't compare it against the GS1K. Having said that, I can say that the GS1K has the best sound that I've ever heard -- bar none. But this comes with a caveat -- you need to have the right lineup of gear. Anything less than "right," and you're out of luck.

Thus, it may be that the RS-1 is more forgiving, more sync-able with a wider range of lineups and rigs.

I've never tried the GS1K with the DV332 so I can't comment there.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 30
gs1k just sound wrong. Go with the rs-1 with flat pads.

Biggie.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 30
The thing that bother me most with the senns is the slight foggy and veiled layer that just gets in the way of the clarity. They are also a bit distant sort of. Special as I listen mostly at lower volumes. I guess this is the "Sennheiser sound"... not to mention the "clamp".

On the other hand, they sound fantastic at times, and while its a relief to take them off my head after a while, it never takes long before I gotta put them back on
redface.gif

But upgraditus is hitting hard!
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 30
Not sure what kind of sound sig DV332 produce, but the best way to drive HD650 is not by warm, full body, tuby sound, I think.
I can not recall any of this issues, about HD650, after have tried them with Rudistor RPX100, period. You wouldnt believe how big the changes are, nothing like muddy, vail, distand or what ever.
What you hear is damn energy streaming through them from Rudi, totaly madness. But I am not SS guy, I like tubes. Plus HD650 arnt my headphone, even driving so good.
Saying all this, I am thinking that DV332 isnt that good at all, using with HD650. Like I wrote to you, try RS1 first, because you are not upgrading your amp and thats very important when you want the best sound from out of GS1000.
And last but not least, RS1 can sound pretty thin/flat as well, depends on your set up to.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 30
With all of this great advice I can imagine how hard it must be to make a solid decision. Im not going to help matters much by suggesting what I think.

Here goes. First of all the RS-1 is an excellent hp that is more than capable of anything you throw at it, truly a piece of hp art. Its definately up front, crisp, accurate, and IMO very balanced. It will work well out of any setup from a lowly ipod to a multi $$ tube amp. It rocks in other words , and is a fantastic representation of what Grado is all about..... or at least what they were all about until the GS-1000 arrived on the scene.

Everyone will likely disagree with me on this one but I feel that the GS is not as synergy dependant as most seem to always state. To my ears the GS-1000 sounded fantastic right out of the box hooked up to an old Denon receiver and in alot of cases straight from the PC. I know what Im saying is blasphemy but Ive got to say it. As far as sound impressions go, I will say that the GS-1000 is just a better all around hp when compared to the RS series.

Soundstage in spades, accuracy, refined,super detailed and handles every genre with ease ( to my ears ). Comfortable to boot.

I knew I wouldnt be of much help perhaps, however , look at it like this. If you see yourself 6 months down the road wondering what could have been or catching the upgradeitus bug ..... without a doubt go for the GS. Your amp choices can be later tailored to it further down the road if need be.

These are strictly my opinions and I will be the first to admit that I may be a bit of a GS Fanboi but honestly if I were to do it all again I would shoot straight for the GS and never look back. We all hear differently obviously but I dont hear the piercing highs, the sucked out mid range and all the other usual suspects. All I hear is a world class hp, conveying wonderful music as it was meant to be heard.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all of this great advice I can imagine how hard it must be to make a solid decision. Im not going to help matters much by suggesting what I think.

Here goes. First of all the RS-1 is an excellent hp that is more than capable of anything you throw at it, truly a piece of hp art. Its definately up front, crisp, accurate, and IMO very balanced. It will work well out of any setup from a lowly ipod to a multi $$ tube amp. It rocks in other words , and is a fantastic representation of what Grado is all about..... or at least what they were all about until the GS-1000 arrived on the scene.

Everyone will likely disagree with me on this one but I feel that the GS is not as synergy dependant as most seem to always state. To my ears the GS-1000 sounded fantastic right out of the box hooked up to an old Denon receiver and in alot of cases sraight from the PC. I know what Im saying is blasphemy but Ive got to say it. As far as sound impressions go, I will say that the GS-1000 is just a better all around hp when compared to the RS series.

Soundstage in spades, accuracy, refined,super detailed and handles every genre with ease ( to my ears ). Comfortable to boot.

I knew I wouldnt be of much help perhaps, however , look at it like this. If you see yourself 6 months down the road wondering what could have been or catching the upgradeitus bug ..... without a doubt go for the GS. Your amp choices can be later tailored to it further down the road if need be.

These are strictly my opinions and I will be the first to admit that I may be a bit of a GS Fanboi but honestly if I were to do it all again I would shoot straight for the GS and never look back. We all hear differently obviously but I dont hear the piercing highs, the sucked out mid range and all the other usual suspects. All I hear is a world class hp, conveying wonderful music as it was meant to be heard.
wink.gif

This is exactly what I am afraid of. I have had a very short listen with the RS-1, and while I thought it sounded very good, I am afraid that the smaller soundstage will bother me in the end, and also the HP I am most curious about is the GS1000, and therefore need to hear it and judge myself to ease my mind =)

If guitar was recorded a few feet from a guitar amp standing in the middle of a room:
Could one compare the HP's as, with the GS1000 gets more impression of the distance and space to the amp like it was recorded, while the RS-1 is more like having the amp miced and getting more straight in your face guitar with less reverb and air? That is how I imagine some of the differences between the two.

Oh well, I guess I'll get a good nights sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Life is hard!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back